Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Psychological effects of Presidency
    #2696997 - 05/18/04 05:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

A lot of people think: "why do people care so much about the president? He's not that powerful."

But its precisely because people care so much about who is president that he is powerful.

My theory is that the Presidency has a mass psychological effect on the population which goes way beyond the powers of the office itself.

When a democrat is president, hillbilly fundamentalists tend to go underground and hibernate. They know that their people arent in power, so they tread lightly in their everyday actions. The democrats, however, realize that their people are in power and thus they become more active because they feel that extra support.

Conversely, if a republican is president, democrats get afraid and dont tend to speak their mind or use their actions to fight for their agendas. Meanwhile, the republicans come out of the woodwork and start trying to ban gay marriage and abortion again. Since their people are in power, they are less afraid to persue extremist agendas.

I am a big believer that the party of the person who holds presidential office effects people's behavior in ways they may not realize. Its not like the president commands people to act a certain way, but people tend to act certain ways when there is a republican president and certain other ways when there is a democrat president.

just a thought.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Psychological effects of Presidency [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2698135 - 05/18/04 08:31 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Might that just be attributable to the veto power though? I mean, there's no point in trying to push your more extreme litigation if the current president will simply veto it if you manage to get it through. and right now the right has the house and the white house both. though i do note that the ban gay marriage amendment would not need a presidential signing, there has been activism from both sides of the issue.

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2699779 - 05/19/04 04:29 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Probably has to do with who controls a greater amount of tax-payer funded propaganda as well.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: Psychological effects of Presidency [Re: bert]
    #2700047 - 05/19/04 07:52 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

With Bush/s blatant lack of intelligence and ability in almost any sector of the duty he is daily handed, it is worth noting that psycology has been responsible for his success almost entirely, because as anyone who wants to can find out for themselves, his palpable successes are limited to half-effective publicity stunts. It is amazing to me how for the first time in modern history, a president can fail everyone in every way (take minority groups and the economy for example) and still have the vote (up till just recently) oif the same population that he failed and furthermore insulted. I watched recently a tape of a collection of the presidents speaking events, collected at random since the war effort in Iraq, and noted a disturbing trend of repetitive catch phrases that accounted for 75% of his speaking efforts. We have asked for no more than redundancy. This is psycology blocking the american publics once useable ability to question/decide/filter/resist. Clinton was grilled on real issues with great constancy but for Bush the PSYCHOLOGY exists that since when we ask questions we get the same answers (the redundancy) asking questions and questioning athourity will not be met witht he nessicary amount of seriousness to make change or even subtle ripples in the waters of legislation or foreign affairs or the economy and so on and so on. Psychology is a perfect topic to discuss in reference to the new Hitler, our baby killing president elect- G. W. Bush. (And no there will be no apolagy for that comparison after this many Iraqi civilians have been slaughtered while we watch without concern from our comfortable homes.) Psychology indeed.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2700352 - 05/19/04 10:48 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Here's just a little prediction: If there's a Democrat in office, the Republicans will bitch about everything he does. If there's a Republican in office, the Democrats will bitch about everything he does. Also, people will be more likely to let things slide if the president is the same party as them than if he's of a different party.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2700367 - 05/19/04 10:53 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

just another reason why parties are retarded, no matter how much "power" they grant

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: Psychological effects of Presidency [Re: bert]
    #2700516 - 05/19/04 11:47 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not really talking about funding or special interest activism here.

I'm talking about the actions of everyday individuals in everyday situations.

like if a democrat is in power, conservatives might feel intimidated by the fact that their people arent in power. This may cause them to act less like conservatives in their daily lives.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2700537 - 05/19/04 11:53 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
like if a democrat is in power, conservatives might feel intimidated by the fact that their people arent in power. This may cause them to act less like conservatives in their daily lives.

I wouldn't say that. I think whenever one party is in power, the other party gets louder. Remember how much Republicans bitched about every little thing Clinton did? Now that's happening with the Democrats and Bush.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: Psychological effects of Presidency [Re: silversoul7]
    #2700998 - 05/19/04 01:31 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, but I'm not talking about politicians and activists. I'm talking about everyday people.

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Psychological effects of Presidency [Re: superblingtheory]
    #2702033 - 05/19/04 05:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

superblingtheory said:
With Bush/s blatant lack of intelligence and ability in almost any sector of the duty he is daily handed, it is worth noting that psycology has been responsible for his success almost entirely, because as anyone who wants to can find out for themselves, his palpable successes are limited to half-effective publicity stunts. It is amazing to me how for the first time in modern history, a president can fail everyone in every way (take minority groups and the economy for example) and still have the vote (up till just recently) oif the same population that he failed and furthermore insulted. I watched recently a tape of a collection of the presidents speaking events, collected at random since the war effort in Iraq, and noted a disturbing trend of repetitive catch phrases that accounted for 75% of his speaking efforts. We have asked for no more than redundancy. This is psycology blocking the american publics once useable ability to question/decide/filter/resist. Clinton was grilled on real issues with great constancy but for Bush the PSYCHOLOGY exists that since when we ask questions we get the same answers (the redundancy) asking questions and questioning athourity will not be met witht he nessicary amount of seriousness to make change or even subtle ripples in the waters of legislation or foreign affairs or the economy and so on and so on. Psychology is a perfect topic to discuss in reference to the new Hitler, our baby killing president elect- G. W. Bush. (And no there will be no apolagy for that comparison after this many Iraqi civilians have been slaughtered while we watch without concern from our comfortable homes.) Psychology indeed.

Someone please introduce this person to alex123. I think it seems as through they would make a great couple.

And i agree the president's power is not excessive when compared to other government branches and that many people especially foreigners have a false notion that the prez is all powerful.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion