Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Injection Ports, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineVisionary77
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: here and there
my First grow ever - lots of interesting info for n3wbs like me
    #26960076 - 09/29/20 12:26 PM (5 months, 2 days ago)

Hello fellow Shroomery gals and guys,

I’m a newbie when it comes to mycology, I know the site for a long time, visited it from time to time, because of my interest in these edibles and it always sparked a feeling in me of wanting to also start a project in this field. Although I’ve never done it ..... until now :laugh:

I have consumed Psilocybin Mushrooms several times, it always enhanced my Consciousness and sent me deeper the rabbit hole, allowing me to experience Reality more complex and giving me a feeling of being much more connected to everything around me.

About a month ago, I decided to go for my desire to grow my own of these very old and beautiful entities, so I got a Grow Kit from a local store, thinking I would go the safer way and I wouldn’t need to do too many things of which I had no idea how to do and screw it faster… (dumb thinking?...maybe :laugh:)

For the price of 5 syringes w/ 10 ml spore suspension I could have gotten,
I got the kit with
-5 ml Syringe,
- a mushbag with 425 G sterilized rye,
- a cultivation box (1200 ml) with air filter
- 1 growbag with air filter
- 200 ml vermiculite,
- 400 ml perlite,
- 1 alcohol swab,  - 2 paper clips,  - 1 sticker.

The Kit came with an instruction, which I followed for inoculation
1. Cleaned Injection port with the alcohol swab
2. Heated the whole needle to the red point
3. Inoculated in the center of the bag and moved the needle in different directions so it would
        spread a bit.
4. I ‘ve put the bag in a kitchen drawer which I cleaned and disinfected right before.
- Temp in the Kitchen was between 22 and 25° Celsius and the Humidity between 50 and 65%
5. After 5 days the bag inflated a bit and got a little condensation
6. After 7 days the mycelium (Cambodian Strain) started to grow. (Again, I could see water droplets
          in the bag).
7. When it was between 20 – 30 % days I massaged it a bit and broke apart the solid pieces. ( Did
          this 3 or 4 times through the whole growing process(too much?),always recollecting all grains
8. I left it there until 2 days ago
9. Since the weather temperatures dropped I have moved the bag in a shoe
          box and put it in a drawer in my sleeping room.

My Questions are as followed:

- Is the bag contaminated ????? I’m not sure I see some greeny dots..
- If yes, is there a way to save it?? ☹
- If not, is it ready for the next step?
- If yes, should I do it further using the delivered box and following
        instructions? or should I alternatively do it any other way ?
- How hygienic must I be when moving the grains into the box or else
        put how sensitive is the mycelium at the point of the transfer into
        the box for fruiting ?

I need some help an advice here, please.
Also, please feel free to ask any questions related to the matter.

- The uploaded pictures are from yesterday evening.

[url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/080503-46/65859-placeholder.gif]

Never mind the outcome this time, I surely will try again and it will be in a way you guys are showing it here. I am eager to learn how to cultivate these little guys and since I’m a vegetarian I will also try to grow some gourmet Mushrooms like Shiitake, Oyster ..etc

Thank you in advance,

Visionary77

Edited by Visionary77 (11/04/20 02:18 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineExstortion
Apprentice in Myco

Loc: Cloud 9
Re: Newbie needs help wit his first Growkit !Contamination Threat! [Re: Visionary77]
    #26960305 - 09/29/20 03:00 PM (5 months, 2 days ago)

I’ve always done jars but I decided to take a chance and I bought 2 3lb pre sterilized rye berry bags. I inculcated them last Saturday. I also have jars as week speak 90% colonized with no contams. I do noticed my jars have some condensation but not too much. Your bags look pretty moist but I don’t really know how a colonized bag should look when it comes to the water.
    I don’t see any contamination in your bag but one of these pros on here can give you better advice. I’m just going off my experience.

--------------------

OfflineVisionary77
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Newbie needs help wit his first Growkit !Contamination Threat! [Re: Exstortion]
    #26960524 - 09/29/20 05:08 PM (5 months, 2 days ago)

hey ! Thank you for your opinion.
I've just looked at it, there is no progression of what i thought it could be bacterial.
I made some close up pictures to better show you what I meant by that "greenish thing" in OP.

thanks again

big up

--------------------
Abracadabra because Carpe Diem!

OfflineExstortion
Apprentice in Myco

Re: Newbie needs help wit his first Growkit !Contamination Threat! [Re: Visionary77]
    #26960712 - 09/29/20 07:05 PM (5 months, 2 days ago)

I’m honestly not sure. It looks okay to me. I’ve only done the “cake” tek my last 2 grows. I have rye berry qts almost ready for my first mono tub and mini. I’ve always did cakes. With cakes you definitely see or smell the contamination. Does it smell like fresh mushrooms?

--------------------

OfflineVisionary77
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Newbie needs help wit his first Growkit !Contamination Threat! [Re: Exstortion]
    #26961492 - 09/30/20 08:07 AM (5 months, 1 day ago)

yea..next time I will make sure i will choose some of the TEKs available on the forum.
took a good sniff of it just now, and yes it does smell like fresh shroomies, no other oudours detected...

I would like to hear some more opinions though.

giv thanks & biig up

--------------------

OfflineExstortion
Apprentice in Myco

#26962001 - 09/30/20 02:55 PM (5 months, 1 day ago)

If it smells fresh and continues to grow. I say you are good to go. If it smells you will notice a smell like a dumpster and sometimes it can be very faint.

--------------------

OfflineExstortion
Apprentice in Myco

#26962005 - 09/30/20 02:57 PM (5 months, 1 day ago)

So I’m just wondering.... what are you gonna do to fruit when the bag is fully colonized?

--------------------

OfflineVisionary77
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26962247 - 09/30/20 05:01 PM (5 months, 1 day ago)

now I smelled it again, it definitely smells like fresh mushshrooms and I cannot sense something else.
I was and still am a little bit concerned, because there are some few grains here and there out of the context ( have another color, dark green or even black .. but im not sure if this is normal or not.
and I wouldnt want to open the bag if it is contaminated.
I am a newbie when it comes to growing mushrooms but I think if it were to be contaminated the mold would have spread very fast/more...
I touched the grains which i suspect of contamination and they seem to have normal texture, like the rest.
I am gonna look on the forum to see more fully colonized and and zero contaminated rye bags.

--------------------

OfflineExstortion
Apprentice in Myco

#26962404 - 09/30/20 06:34 PM (5 months, 1 day ago)

I know what your talking about when you said black grains. I have those too. I’ve had contams before and yea it spreads fast and you will definitely know it’s contaminated.

--------------------

OfflineVisionary77
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26962443 - 09/30/20 06:55 PM (5 months, 1 day ago)

okay, this gives me a little relief xD

thanks again

--------------------

OfflineVisionary77
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26962479 - 09/30/20 07:19 PM (5 months, 1 day ago)

Im thinking of building a Monotub and bring em there to fruit.
I saw some TEKs on the forum on how to build it, it should'nt be that hard.
I also want to build a SAB for future projects, buy a PC, set some jars up and to it the proper way.

Until then I have to learn what needs to be done with this particular bag as I dont fully trust what the instructions say and I do not intend to bring them to fruit in the way described (in the delivered box and in the bag with the paper clips on) because of lack fresh air exchange, if I learnt well from all the posts i have read until now.

I will leave it to fully colonize (if its not already) until I gather the materials needed to build the monotub in the next few days.

--------------------

Edited by Visionary77 (09/30/20 07:20 PM)

OfflineVisionary77
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26963736 - 10/01/20 02:04 PM (5 months, 14 hours ago)

Where the pros at when needed?

or, did i mistakenly posted in the wrong thread? hmmm

peace

--------------------

OfflineroarkellS
The Roar Master!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southern WI Flag
    #26965883 - 10/02/20 02:56 PM (4 months, 30 days ago)

Looks a little wet and possibly bacterial... nothing super sinister imo.

As for the mono tub tek, id suggest pasty's mini mono tek... i love them for smaller bags like that... but it also depends on what ration spawn to sub you're planning to do... anything more than 1:1 and then you'd be better off doing a full mono. The minis colonize nice and quick at 1:1.

OfflineVisionary77
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Newbie needs help wit his first Growkit !Contamination Threat! [Re: roarkell]
    #26966207 - 10/02/20 06:07 PM (4 months, 30 days ago)

hey, thank you for your answer!
I bought a storing box to use as a FC which measures 38x28x24 cm & 30 L yesterday which I plan to either make a Monotub or to use as a unmodified one..i honestly do not know what would be better.
I could buy some coco coir to mix with vermiculite but I only have 200 ml
and then doing it the bucket way with boiled water.

I'm clueless about the ratio here.. I have 440 ml of rye spawned, 200 ml verm & 400 ml perlite...

another, simpler way for this time would be do the Shoebox Tek each with 200 ml perlite and 100 ml verm. what do you think about that?

giving thanks for any advice and support

Biig Up Shroomerites xD

EDIT: I mistakely broke the 30L tub while drilling holes in it. lol.. should have been more careful..
anyway, i improvised and now i have one 11 L and one 2.75 L tubs in which I want to spawn.
Following the Coir TEK from Damion I used 300 G of coir with 25g of vermiculite and 2L of water planning to mix with t´with 440 Grams of rye inoculated with 5 ml MS.

--------------------

Edited by Visionary77 (10/03/20 07:21 PM)

OfflineVisionary77
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26985630 - 10/14/20 07:25 PM (4 months, 18 days ago)

Hello Shroomery friends,

I come with some update and some questions.
I have made those to tubs mentioned above into 2 minis with lots of 2.5mm holes in them and duct-taped em
11 days ago  I mixed my spawn with the coir and only had 25g of Verm to mix with, I hope it was enough.
2 days later I bought some verm and cased them on top with maybe a thicker layer than i should have..
I used 300 G coir to 1 bag 440 ml of rye spawn and 2 L of water, of which cca. 1 L I squeezed back to get the needed Field Capacity.
Since then they are in a blue bag in my sleeping room with 50% RH (Room Humidity?) and the temps are between 70 - 73 F, mostly 73.

May I have slowed the growth because of the (maybe) thicker layer of verm?
How they lookin at all ?
why is the growth more to the sides and almost no growth in the middle ?
I hope I can bring them into fruiting conditions in some days..how long do they still need ?
Do they lack something ?

Any Advice is appreciated!!

I have some more close up pics if needed.

--------------------

Edited by Visionary77 (10/14/20 07:29 PM)

OfflineExstortion
Apprentice in Myco

#26991486 - 10/18/20 03:10 PM (4 months, 14 days ago)

In my opinion keep it going. I think you will get pins. Be patient. I know sometimes it can be stressful.

--------------------

OfflineJoe Gage
Stranger

#26991523 - 10/18/20 03:50 PM (4 months, 14 days ago)

Looks like you havnt screwed anything up that I can tell. I would suggest to give it time to fully colonize before opening it to many times. Once I transfer mine into tub's I wait at least 5 days before peeking.

OfflineVisionary77
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26996209 - 10/21/20 01:20 PM (4 months, 11 days ago)

Indeed! the smaller tub already has some nice pins, i will set it in the fruititng conditions.
the bigger one has no pins yet, should i keep it colonizing or also set to fruit ?
How often to mist in the fruiting stage and does it anything if I mist them directly ?

thanks

--------------------

OfflineExstortion
Apprentice in Myco

#26996916 - 10/21/20 09:41 PM (4 months, 11 days ago)

Please update some pics in a few days. I would love to see the progress. Please check out my current grow I need opinions: BRF Honduras

--------------------

OfflineYumyumyumyum
Thinker
 User Gallery

#26997074 - 10/21/20 11:49 PM (4 months, 11 days ago)

I did a different path. Started with 6 short jars off ebay, 1 syringe of GT over the course of 7 months its return was productive doing prints and agar. Its on its 6 generation. Now I have a 32 jar cycle going 8-10 jars at a time with different strains. 5 types going soon to be 9 types. All jars and syringe for the new stuff. These go into coco coir, verm and gypsum. Let them sit and do there thing day in day out. Very simple. I think the rye will be the last step I take. I do not even use FC's anymore. I just look at my local Valuevillage, Goodwill for 1-2$ containers every two jars = 1 bin. They are not micros nor are they large. Just right to stack 3 a shelf. It seems the cycle went from simple to complex back to really simple. My room looked like a steampunk creation at one time.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Injection Ports, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started