Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) * 1
    #26956556 - 09/26/20 08:53 PM (25 days, 3 hours ago)

Link to original article at bloomberg.com (paywall)

Trigger warning: This article glorifies Capitalism and capitalists who make money

A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer

By Suzanne Woolley

September 25, 2020, 6:40 AM PDT

Quote:

Christian Angermayer holds 22% stake in Compass Pathways
    German investor’s ATAI Life Sciences may go public in 2021

Christian Angermayer spent years convincing skeptical investors of the promise in psychedelic substances to treat mental illness. His efforts paid off this week to the tune of $316 million.

That’s how much the 42-year-old’s stake of about 22% in Compass Pathway Plc’s is worth, after the company’s shares more than doubled in the days following its Sept. 18 initial public offering.

Angermayer was the first backer of Compass, a U.K. startup seeking U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval to use its formulation of psilocybin, the active ingredient in so-called magic mushrooms, for treatment-resistant depression.

When the German entrepreneur put money into the company in 2017, it was worth $16 million. Compass shares traded at $40.55 at 9:33 a.m. in New York, valuing it at about $1.4 billion. Angermayer celebrated the IPO by tweeting a picture of his very first tattoo -- the molecular structure of psilocybin.

“Even before Covid-19, the mental health epidemic was in full swing,” Angermayer said in a June interview. “Think about this: 350 million are living with depression, 150 million of whom are treatment-resistant; another 40 million live with anxiety, of which we can only treat symptoms; and 240 million are dependent on substances ranging from alcohol to opioids.”

Angermayer got his start in the biotech industry in 2000, when he left college to help found a company called Ribopharma, which merged with Alnylam Pharmaceuticals three years later. He invests in other biotech, robotics, fintech, blockchain and space-tech companies through his family office, Apeiron Investment Group, which uses $500 million of his personal funds and manages $300 million of outside money.

The networking-savvy investor introduced Compass founders George Goldsmith and Ekaterina Malievskaia to Lars Wilde, who now serves as the company’s president. Angermayer controls his Compass stake through ATAI Life Sciences AG, a psychedelic medicine company he founded in 2018.
Christian Angermayer

ATAI is pursuing a range of treatments for mental-health disorders including depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, addiction and anxiety using drugs such as psilocybin, R-ketamine and ibogaine. The company is about to close a EUR50 million ($58.1 million) pre-IPO round and is considering a U.S. IPO in the first half of 2021, according to sources familiar with its plans.

Many of the outside backers that Angermayer brought into Compass are also investors in ATAI. Among them are Peter Thiel, co-founder of PayPal and an early investor in Facebook, and Galaxy Investment Partners’ Michael Novogratz. Silicon Valley venture capitalists Steve Jurvetson and Maryanna Saenko, of Future Ventures, also hold a significant stake in ATAI.

“Christian is extremely interested in other people and always wants to discover new ideas,” Thiel wrote in e-mailed comments on Thursday. “This combination makes him an astute investor.”

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsicomvb
Enjoying the ride
Male User Gallery

Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: sonoramo] * 1
    #26956661 - 09/26/20 10:21 PM (25 days, 1 hour ago)

Psilocybin needs to be decriminalized but not legalized so these rich assholes dont turn mushrooms into another capitalist playtoy.

OfflineBuckomcdoogle
Backwoods distillation expert
 User Gallery

Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: Psicomvb]
    #26956828 - 09/27/20 12:56 AM (24 days, 23 hours ago)

I think one big problem with this is...
People thought cannabis would be hard to regulate....
Cause anyone can grow it in a shed in their back yard.

Anyone can grow mushrooms in the space of a microwave in their bedroom..

If anything mushrooms are considerably easier and less time consuming once you get the sterile procedure down.

--------------------
"Nothing is more dangerous to your creativity than comfort and familiarity"

“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.” - Zappa

"It's called rational thinking" - Zappa

"Logic leads to nihilism..."

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: Psicomvb] * 1
    #26957390 - 09/27/20 02:17 PM (24 days, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

Psicomvb said:
Psilocybin needs to be decriminalized but not legalized so these rich assholes dont turn mushrooms into another capitalist playtoy.

:werd:

Big $$$$$$$$ is why we may not ever see these plants/medicines truly "free" and available to all humans as they should be ("free" as in, growing/possessing/consuming not being a crime and the plants not being controlled/restricted by some agency) . This is exactly one of the reasons why I'm much more in support of merely decriminalizing on the local level. Big $ will continue to keep these plant medicines illegal and keep them out of the hands of the people unless they have $$$ for a "session" .

That's the core of it all, what it all comes down to....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

These plant medicines belong to every human on earth, not only for those that meet certain criteria and have $$$$. If some fat old rich fucks can rake in millions from these plant medicines, I should be able to reach down and pick a mushroom out of the earth or grow a bush in my backyard with out fear of being labeled a criminal and tossed into a cage and basically having my life ruined.

-OM

--------------------

InvisiblePsicomvb
Enjoying the ride
Male User Gallery

Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: openmind] * 1
    #26957455 - 09/27/20 03:16 PM (24 days, 8 hours ago)

Amen dude.  Reading news about compass pathways and the likes honestly never fails to bum me out every time. 

Money is the root of all evil maaan.  But for real tho

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: Psicomvb]
    #26958330 - 09/28/20 07:35 AM (23 days, 16 hours ago)

Instead of sulking you all should be taking advantage of an opportunity to invest. Yes promote decriminalization first and foremost but theres no reason you can't benefit from this wave of public shroom sector offerings too.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoReactive
CocaTea.com
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cocalero
    #26958365 - 09/28/20 08:20 AM (23 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

Psicomvb said:

!00% right here. :raisemyglass:

--------------------
https://drivenanddesired.com

OfflineArthurFungarelli
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #26958378 - 09/28/20 08:28 AM (23 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

ShroomDoom said:
Instead of sulking you all should be taking advantage of an opportunity to invest. Yes promote decriminalization first and foremost but theres no reason you can't benefit from this wave of public shroom sector offerings too.

It doesn't feel right to invest in and profit from something I'm morally against.

--------------------

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: ArthurFungarelli]
    #26958416 - 09/28/20 09:42 AM (23 days, 14 hours ago)

All due respect but it kinda cracks me up that people tend to be against anybody making money on mushrooms. As if it hasn't already been a commodity for years. Making money is evil

OfflineArthurFungarelli
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #26958421 - 09/28/20 09:49 AM (23 days, 14 hours ago)

It's more that I'm against capitalism in general, but capitalism where the commodity is mushrooms seems even worse.

--------------------

InvisiblePsicomvb
Enjoying the ride
Male User Gallery

Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #26958427 - 09/28/20 09:58 AM (23 days, 14 hours ago)

I get what you mean but I dont think anyone here is against the idea of making money on mushrooms. I'll speak for myself, I am against the idea of already rich people making millions off it, thus continuing to further that wealth gap and limit opportunities for success in this line of work legally for the average person when that time comes.

Edited by Psicomvb (09/28/20 10:04 AM)

OfflineArthurFungarelli
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26958431 - 09/28/20 10:01 AM (23 days, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

Psicomvb said:
I get what you mean but I dont think anyone here is against the idea of making money on mushrooms. I'll speak for myself, I am against the idea of already rich people making millions off it, thus continuing to further that wealth gap and limit opportunities for success in this line of work legally for the average person when that time comes.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

--------------------

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: ArthurFungarelli]
    #26958449 - 09/28/20 10:23 AM (23 days, 13 hours ago)

Lol at trigger warning and people getting triggered

OfflineRapjack
Oat Soakin' Toker
I'm a teapot

Loc: Elsewhere
Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #26958522 - 09/28/20 11:27 AM (23 days, 12 hours ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
All due respect but it kinda cracks me up that people tend to be against anybody making money on mushrooms. As if it hasn't already been a commodity for years. Making money is evil

Indeed. I look at it this way, commercialization for all it's evils is also a way for "normal" (non-psych / drug users) people to gain access to things that they couldn't otherwise. IMO if more people are eating shrooms that's a net gain for humanity.

--------------------

Onlinejesusfish
Naive Tripper
Male

Loc: Wisconsin Flag
    #26958608 - 09/28/20 12:44 PM (23 days, 11 hours ago)

For real. The Cannabis industry is so obviously disgusting and superficial. It'd be heart wrenching if the same thing happened to Psychedelics.

--------------------
LOVE

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: filthyknees]
    #26958686 - 09/28/20 01:43 PM (23 days, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

filthyknees said:
Lol at trigger warning and people getting triggered

Same people triggered by capitalism but then say voting on propositions is the right way to move forward. Oh yea those don't go hand in hand at all or anything....

--------------------
police violence is no accident
ACAB
There's two kinds of people. Those who have had a bad interaction with cops and those who haven't got their turn

InvisiblePsicomvb
Enjoying the ride
Male User Gallery

Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26958730 - 09/28/20 02:21 PM (23 days, 9 hours ago)

If you're referring to the people posting here, Bod, you're making big assumptions

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: Rapjack]
    #26958796 - 09/28/20 03:04 PM (23 days, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Rapjack said:
Indeed. I look at it this way, commercialization for all it's evils is also a way for "normal" (non-psych / drug users) people to gain access to things that they couldn't otherwise. IMO if more people are eating shrooms that's a net gain for humanity.

:whathesaid: The first thing IMO is quit criminalizing humanity's best opportunity to evolve and mature. We have to deal with the massive crises in climate change, pandemic response, racism and unequal treatment, wealth distribution and all the rest. And we're gonna need to have the most enlightened, open, responsive humans possible to be successful.

So, knock off the criminalization first. Take solace that most even the most shroomerific people can't do shrooms as often as even a moderate cannabis user can do cannabis. Alcoholic beverages are even worse, both in terms of people who can drink themselves to death and for capitalists making money off them as they decay from within. Hopefully the market for shrooms will never be big enough to drive the worst "features" of capitalism.

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #26958822 - 09/28/20 03:25 PM (23 days, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:

It's not so much the making $ on mushrooms/entheogens that I'm against, I'm not a fan of such but that's not really the big issue for me....I'm against certain groups of people being allowed to make millions of dollars on something when that something will land the average Joe in a cage and become labeled a criminal.  When that something belongs to and is a right for every human to have access to, we're locking people up in cages for growing or possessing it but allowing others to make millions of dollars from it. That's where the issue is for me.

Locking people up in a cage and labeling them a criminal for growing or possessing mushrooms while allowing others to make millions of dollars on that mushroom is a bit evil IMO. It's definitely not "right" . It's not the way it should be.

It's mostly the fact that certain people are allowed to make millions on something that I'm not even allowed to touch with my hands....Something I'm not even allowed to pull out the earth and hold in my hand, something I'm certainly not allowed to eat it, but some men with big $$$ are allowed to make a fortune off of it.

That just doesn't sit right with me at all.

If I am allowed to pick a mushroom out of the earth, if I am allowed to hold mushrooms in my hand, if I am allowed to eat mushrooms....if I'm able to do all of that with out fear of being labeled a criminal and and with out fear of potentially being locked up in a cage then I'd have much less of a problem with entheogens/medicinal plants being sold for profit.

But so as long as humans are being labeled criminals and are being locked up in cages and are being forced to pay the government fines/$ for growing, possessing, and/or consuming plants/fungi I feel that no business or individual should be allowed to make millions upon millions of dollars off of them.

-OM

--------------------

InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA Flag
Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: openmind]
    #26959008 - 09/28/20 05:42 PM (23 days, 6 hours ago)

"trigger warning-pro capitalist sentiment" :rofl::rofl:

--------------------

OfflineBuckomcdoogle
Backwoods distillation expert
 User Gallery

#26959019 - 09/28/20 05:49 PM (23 days, 6 hours ago)

Psicomvb said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

That's what happened to cannabis in Washington and California.

150k just to get your foot in the door with the paperwork and legal shit.

They made it so the only people that are able to get into it are already millionaires.

Oregon did it right, ma and paw weed stores actually exist there.

--------------------
"Nothing is more dangerous to your creativity than comfort and familiarity"

“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.” - Zappa

"It's called rational thinking" - Zappa

"Logic leads to nihilism..."

OfflineHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: bodhisatta] * 2
    #26959131 - 09/28/20 07:00 PM (23 days, 4 hours ago)

Democracy =/= capitalism, just as oligarchies and monopolies are not part of a well functioning market economy

Quote:

“The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerated the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than the democratic state itself. That in its essence is fascism: ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or any controlling private power.” - FDR

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: A Bet on Magic Mushrooms Made One Investor $316 Million Richer (trigger warning: pro-capitalist sentiment) [Re: openmind]
    #26964344 - 10/01/20 07:21 PM (20 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

openmind said:
Quote:

Psilosopherr said:

It's not so much the making $ on mushrooms/entheogens that I'm against, I'm not a fan of such but that's not really the big issue for me....I'm against certain groups of people being allowed to make millions of dollars on something when that something will land the average Joe in a cage and become labeled a criminal.  When that something belongs to and is a right for every human to have access to, we're locking people up in cages for growing or possessing it but allowing others to make millions of dollars from it. That's where the issue is for me.

Locking people up in a cage and labeling them a criminal for growing or possessing mushrooms while allowing others to make millions of dollars on that mushroom is a bit evil IMO. It's definitely not "right" . It's not the way it should be.

It's mostly the fact that certain people are allowed to make millions on something that I'm not even allowed to touch with my hands....Something I'm not even allowed to pull out the earth and hold in my hand, something I'm certainly not allowed to eat it, but some men with big $$$ are allowed to make a fortune off of it.

That just doesn't sit right with me at all.

If I am allowed to pick a mushroom out of the earth, if I am allowed to hold mushrooms in my hand, if I am allowed to eat mushrooms....if I'm able to do all of that with out fear of being labeled a criminal and and with out fear of potentially being locked up in a cage then I'd have much less of a problem with entheogens/medicinal plants being sold for profit.

But so as long as humans are being labeled criminals and are being locked up in cages and are being forced to pay the government fines/$ for growing, possessing, and/or consuming plants/fungi I feel that no business or individual should be allowed to make millions upon millions of dollars off of them.

-OM

Well said as always OM. You're always a treat to interact with

The question thats been on my mind lately is how do we write psilocybin therapy laws in a way that decriminalizes home-growing while also making it feasible for everyday joe's to get licensed to grow for profit. (though, if memory serves, in my state it only cost a couple grand or so to apply for a cannabis cultivation license. and its also legal to grow small amounts without a license.) I don't think a 'no millionaires' clause would be allowed but maybe i'm mistaken. That'd be cool if it was

So I guess if somebody were to write a different version of the psilocybin petition in oregon that also allowed home growing, how could the bill be written to make it feasible for everyday people to get licenses to grow for profit.

That sounds perfect for a first step.

Edited by Psilosopherr (10/01/20 07:23 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service