Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Loc: the abyss
Fail Thread: Share Your Fuckups and Feedback * 5
    #26954819 - 09/25/20 05:17 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Had this idea for a while, finally making the thread.

Everyone fucks up, everyone does things less than ideally. Every Noob, Every TC, everyone you see posting killer canopies, everyone killing it on exotics

I think we can learn a lot more from failure than success.

ESPECIALLY a talented cultivator's failures, because odds are we can pin down what went wrong, whereas with a noob it can often be one of 1000 things.

So i want to invite everyone, especially experienced cultivators (but noobs too), to participate in documenting our most teachable moments for the benefit of ourselves and others.

Everyone loves flexing their best looking successes, but people get embarrassed about failure. Dont be. take it as an opportunity to improve and learn. Confront it head-on, share it, and everyone benefits from your experience and the discussion

Contamination, grain prep, hilariously shitty yields, agar problems, messes, house fires, water issues, jar seals, pump failures, losing a valuable culture, pregnancy, that flush of penis envy that tuned you gay, home invasions, divorces, murders, mishaps, reverts... all are fair game. lets learn from eachother's mistakes and experience

So post pics of your favorite fails, explain your hypothesis for what went wrong and why (if you have one), and lets discuss!

Edited by c10h12n2o (09/25/20 08:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Re: Fail Thread: Share Your Fuckups and Feedback [Re: c10h12n2o] * 1
    #26954846 - 09/25/20 05:36 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I'll start with 2 examples:

fuckup: obvious rosecomb and bacterial blotch

hypothesis:
fuck this culture lol... its like 4 yrs old, PE, probably grown it out 30 times.  EVERY time it looks like shit and maybe 1 in 20 fruits would look like PE. EVERY time it has had rosecomb, and every time it has had bacterial blotch even though every other tub in the room looks perfect

i can only think the culture got exposed to some weird hydrocarbon (no fuckin tellin in my sketchy ass lab) at some point which has caused rosecomb ever since, but im not sure if thats how rosecomb works (originating from culture rather than exposure in fruiting). Ive never seen rosecomb like this (every time, every fruit) in any other culture, and ive controlled for every other variable i can think of

ofc the bacterial blotch is probably just from overwatering slowgrowing fruits. but this culture seems so much more prone to it than anything ive worked with

im done with this culture, finally got some better PE genetics that dont look like they survived chernobyl. no reason to grow it out again, no sense in fighting that uphill battle. interesting though

Fuckup:
avereys albino haha... lookin melanated  af

hypothesis:
i tested about 10 random isolates, and this one was not albino! you can get all kinds of weird shit testing random isolates of unstable genetics. print was from someone else, so i guess it could have been contaminated w other cube spores too, but the other 9 isos i tested are all albino.

pheno hunting for isolates is pretty much pointless for most peoples goals, but i think its a fun way to waste time and money

--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited by c10h12n2o (09/25/20 05:56 PM)

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fail Thread: Share Your Fuckups and Feedback [Re: c10h12n2o] * 2
    #26954875 - 09/25/20 06:03 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Cool thread idea. I must admit I usually don't take pics of my failures cuz I'm too proud and also too pissed to take pics when that happens... but I want in on this thread so I browsed my pics and found something that might qualify.

All these boxes stalled out on me, shitty bag of oats me thinks.

And this is my first failed attempt at materializing the idea I had for my LC lids. The idea was solid but the execution and materials used were shitty af and it all came apart really fast and furious.

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fail Thread: Share Your Fuckups and Feedback [Re: Josex] * 6
    #26954882 - 09/25/20 06:09 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

This will be fun. Not entirely different than the confessions thread but i'm down. Unfortunately, I never fuck up. So i'll just watch.

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fail Thread: Share Your Fuckups and Feedback [Re: verum subsequentis] * 1
    #26954885 - 09/25/20 06:10 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

:rofl:

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Loc: Exact Center
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fail Thread: Share Your Fuckups and Feedback [Re: Josex] * 1
    #26954906 - 09/25/20 06:30 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Lmao

--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Re: Fail Thread: Share Your Fuckups and Feedback [Re: verum subsequentis] * 1
    #26954933 - 09/25/20 06:59 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Josex said:
Cool thread idea. I must admit I usually don't take pics of my failures cuz I'm too proud and also too pissed to take pics when that happens... but I want in on this thread so I browsed my pics and found something that might qualify.

All these boxes stalled out on me, shitty bag of oats me thinks.

And this is my first failed attempt at materializing the idea I had for my LC lids. The idea was solid but the execution and materials used were shitty af and it all came apart really fast and furious.

lol exactly bro, me either. i had to do the same, dig through my pics.

i was thinking about it though, and thought, you know what, i should be photographing my fuckups, because if im making this mistake then less experienced people are too. I figured if i can check my pride/ego at the door lots of people could benefit. even more so if others do the same!! Critical thinking and collaboration FTW

daaam all those tubs contammed? sucks when that happens, such a mess..  was it trich?  you say sketchy bag, did you use that bag to do g2g, or did you just use one bag?

what exactly is going on in those prototypes?

bro your LC method is so fuckin good. the best by far imo.  i been doing something similar for a while (only difference is scratching and sucking vs poking the myc) and love it because its almost impossible to fuck up. Ive always had good luck with LCs regardless, but this method removes virtually EVERY variable that can possibly go wrong besides dirty agar. thats as close to foolproof as it gets in this hobby.

Funny enough, when i came out of hiatus, i reached out to bod and asked if anything noteworthy had come out since i was gone and your poke method is the only thing he mentioned. i thought "dope that sounds cool" but didnt read the guide beyond figuring out what "poke" meant. few weeks later im writing up a "foolproof LC guide" for someone and halfway through it i see you post something about an LC. i thought "hold up... if he is poking agar he probably already thought of this" and read your LC stuff and was like "hahaha ok this guy is legit af and i gotta read everything i see him post"

so glad i spared myself the few dozen "josex been doing this for years, dumbass" and "stop stealing shit from josex" replies i woulda gotten :rofl:

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
This will be fun. Not entirely different than the confessions thread but i'm down. Unfortunately, I never fuck up. So i'll just watch.

stoked to have you on board :smile:

if you need help maybe i can make you a fuckup tek, help get you off the right track :lol:

--------------------

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited by c10h12n2o (09/25/20 07:00 PM)

OfflineFlufferNutter
Nerd Extraordinaire
Male

Loc: Shadow of the District
    #26954940 - 09/25/20 07:04 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:

fuckup: obvious rosecomb and bacterial blotch

hypothesis:
fuck this culture lol... its like 4 yrs old, PE, probably grown it out 30 times.

i can only think the culture got exposed to some weird hydrocarbon (no fuckin tellin in my sketchy ass lab) at some point which has caused rosecomb ever since, but im not sure if thats how rosecomb works (originating from culture rather than exposure in fruiting).

Rosecomb is viral I'm pretty sure, which would explain the situation with that culture. Did it come from a cloned fruit? Did that fruit practice proper social distancing? Was it wearing a mask? J/K.. but, yeah, pretty sure the 'comb is a virus.

OfflineFlufferNutter
Nerd Extraordinaire
Male

Re: Fail Thread: Share Your Fuckups and Feedback [Re: FlufferNutter] * 1
    #26954942 - 09/25/20 07:06 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Definitely digging this thread idea. Finally something I can post regularly to!

OfflineFlufferNutter
Nerd Extraordinaire
Male

#26954949 - 09/25/20 07:10 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Hillbilly Smurf Village Flush

It is an MS grow, but I'm pretty convinced I did something to cause this nonsense. Although, the phenotype is pretty neat looking, and the stipes are rock solid.

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26954955 - 09/25/20 07:14 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

fail ape from some time ago. got the new APE swabs in my lab, thou. hopefully we will have a new source instead of the SW one. a user here randomly got a flush of APE out of a PE grow. fingers crossed I can clean it up

OfflineFlufferNutter
Nerd Extraordinaire
Male

#26954976 - 09/25/20 07:21 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I've got 2 PEU tubs that just decided to stall out. Growing like a madman, ropes akimbo, consolidated the sub...then...brrfffttppp. nothing. Motherfuckers. I had high hopes for them too.

Here's a close up of those Hillbilly slackers..

Cant win em all. Some mush is better than none too....

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#26954979 - 09/25/20 07:23 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

oooooo i shoulda led with this one.. i been digging through images trying to find stuff worth sharing

this is like the best example ever. Fuckup that led to probably the biggest breakthrough ive ever had

Fuckup:
so a little background. this is my pride and joy tamp isolate, fruits FAST and prolifically unlike anything ive ever seen. like 14g dry off a shoebox harvested 11 days after spawn. image in my sig was 30g dry first flush.  amazing iso. so i wanted to try to do a monotub and shoot for 2 oz dry. anyone who has grown tamps knows this was a absurdly high goal

so i also wanted prints (aint no fun if the homies cant have none). Tamps can be a bitch to get to fully mature, especially the caps. they often are tiny and unprintable, or dont open at all. in my past experiments i noticed a correlation between cap development/printability and light and FAE, and that they get curly and wormy with inadequate FAE, and bad caps without good light

So i decided to maximize light and FAE in hopes of printable caps. 4000 lux of 6500k light measured at the surface, no lid on the mono. misting pretty much all the time to prevent them drying out

so i got a killer pinset, which matured into the harvesting hell you see in the picture. tiny, unprintable, midget fruits, but fully developed. maybe 10g dry worth (and took longer to clean and harvest than 2 pounds of cubes would have)

so i was like well fuck that strategy. i want some bulk. fuck the prints. i dont care if the caps mature or get wormy, i want my 2 oz.

Breakthrough/hypothesis:

then it occurred to me: instead of trying to eliminate the wormy behavior, why dont i try to maximize it?

so i put the opaque lid on the tub, restricted light down to ambient (no supplemental ).

and this is what i got in flush #2:

that FLUSH ALONE dried to 77g !!!!

and flush #3:

some of those dried to over 1.2g each!!!

well over a foot long. i dont think anyone thought tamps could get anywhere near that big or yield like that (i damn sure didnt)

Edited by c10h12n2o (09/25/20 07:34 PM)

OfflineFlufferNutter
Nerd Extraordinaire
Male

#26954987 - 09/25/20 07:28 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Holy shit! That's wild, man!

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#26954988 - 09/25/20 07:29 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FlufferNutter said:
Rosecomb is viral I'm pretty sure, which would explain the situation with that culture. Did it come from a cloned fruit? Did that fruit practice proper social distancing? Was it wearing a mask? J/K.. but, yeah, pretty sure the 'comb is a virus.

is it? id always heard it was from petroleum based stuff.  yeah it was definitely worst in the cloned lines (like that old ass culture) but even when i went back to the swab like 3 times, i always had issues with it. no idea, so glad i finally got some good pe genetics tho

Quote:

Munchauzen said:
fail ape from some time ago. got the new APE swabs in my lab, thou. hopefully we will have a new source instead of the SW one. a user here randomly got a flush of APE out of a PE grow. fingers crossed I can clean it up

thats awesome!! im rooting for you

have you ever heard of ape reverting before that?

Quote:

FlufferNutter said:
I've got 2 PEU tubs that just decided to stall out. Growing like a madman, ropes akimbo, consolidated the sub...then...brrfffttppp. nothing. Motherfuckers. I had high hopes for them too.

like literally nothing?? didnt fruit at all? ive never seen a cube fail to fruit. you found the legendary non fruiting cube culture haha

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26954999 - 09/25/20 07:35 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

it seems like anytime gets sourced from SW its good for a couple years then goes to shit... idk could just be coincidence in the grows I've seen.

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26955002 - 09/25/20 07:38 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
oooooo i shoulda led with this one.. i been digging through images trying to find stuff worth sharing

this is like the best example ever. Fuckup that led to probably the biggest breakthrough ive ever had

Fuckup:
so a little background. this is my pride and joy tamp isolate, fruits FAST and prolifically unlike anything ive ever seen. like 14g dry off a shoebox harvested 11 days after spawn. image in my sig was 30g dry first flush.  amazing iso. so i wanted to try to do a monotub and shoot for 2 oz dry. anyone who has grown tamps knows this was a absurdly high goal

so i also wanted prints (aint no fun if the homies cant have none). Tamps can be a bitch to get to fully mature, especially the caps. they often are tiny and unprintable, or dont open at all. in my past experiments i noticed a correlation between cap development/printability and light and FAE, and that they get curly and wormy with inadequate FAE, and bad caps without good light

So i decided to maximize light and FAE in hopes of printable caps. 4000 lux of 6500k light measured at the surface, no lid on the mono. misting pretty much all the time to prevent them drying out

so i got a killer pinset, which matured into the harvesting hell you see in the picture. tiny, unprintable, midget fruits, but fully developed. maybe 10g dry worth (and took longer to clean and harvest than 2 pounds of cubes would have)

so i was like well fuck that strategy. i want some bulk. fuck the prints. i dont care if the caps mature or get wormy, i want my 2 oz.

Breakthrough/hypothesis:

then it occurred to me: instead of trying to eliminate the wormy behavior, why dont i try to maximize it?

so i put the opaque lid on the tub, restricted light down to ambient (no supplemental ).

and this is what i got in flush #2:

that FLUSH ALONE dried to 77g !!!!

and flush #3:

some of those dried to over 1.2g each!!!

well over a foot long. i dont think anyone thought tamps could get anywhere near that big or yield like that (i damn sure didnt)

I got similar results by not dubbing the shoebox, and left the opaque lids on.

OfflineFlufferNutter
Nerd Extraordinaire
Male

#26955014 - 09/25/20 07:43 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah bro. Nada so far. They were spawned forever ago too. Rocked the rye bags, rocked the sub, started to colonize the casing,  and then just fizzled out.
Full disclosure, I was a little worried with one of the tubs. My concerns were valid as it just petered out and went trich.
The other 2 though, the ones in the pics, just sitting there.
I wont toss em until they tam. Who knows? Stranger things have happened.

**also, I'm more than positive that I fucked up somehow or another on these tubs. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Re: Fail Thread: Share Your Fuckups and Feedback [Re: Munchauzen] * 1
    #26955021 - 09/25/20 07:47 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

damn munch those are killer! sounds like you know the struggle that is harvesting and cleaning a good yield of tamps

ive only tested it on one isolate, repeatedly. seeing the same behavior in yours is pretty exciting!

was that ms/iso/clone?

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #26955023 - 09/25/20 07:48 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FlufferNutter said:

Here's a close up of those Hillbilly slackers..

Cant win em all. Some mush is better than none too....

How long has it been?  My peu took almost 2 months to fruit.. the only reason I didn’t trash it before it got to fruit was because I knew from the cakes I did that they took forfuckingever

Then they did this

Which is thread appropriate :lol:

Faht

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract