Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleading"
    #2694339 - 05/18/04 12:06 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Colin Powell has now admited that some of the reasons for war were  deliberately misleadingClick here.

CIA sources on Iraq were 'deliberately misleading,' Powell complains

Mon May 17,12:51 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The Central Intelligence Agency (news - web sites) and other US government institutions were in some cases deliberately misled about alleged Iraqi weapons of mass destruction in the run-up to the war, Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) has acknowledged.

The comments, made Sunday in an interview with NBC television, represented the first public official admission that the US government had been fed disinformation about Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s suspect arsenal of chemical and biological weapons and relayed it to the world community without questioning it.

"It turned out that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and, in some cases, deliberately misleading," Powell said, appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" program. "And for that I am disappointed, and I regret it."

Powell delivered a landmark speech on banned Iraqi weapons of mass destruction before the UN Security Council in February 2003, in an unsuccessful attempt to persuade its members to authorize US-led military action against Iraq (news - web sites).

In that presentation, he insisted the United States had "firsthand descriptions" of mobile biological weapons factories that he said presented a threat to international security.

He disclosed that the information came from an Iraqi defector, a chemical engineer who supervised one of these mobile facilities, and corroborated by "other sources."

"Unfortunately, that multiple sourcing over time has turned out to be not accurate," a humbled secretary of state said Sunday. "And so I'm deeply disappointed."

The Iraqi defector in question has not been publicly identified.

But reports leaked to the media since the beginning of the war said his code name was "Curveball" and he was the brother of one of the top aides of Ahmad Chalabi, leader of the Iraqi National Congress and long-time advocate of the US invasion of Iraq to topple the Saddam regime.

Powell said he was "very concerned" by this situation but insisted that his February 2003 presentation at the United Nations (news - web sites) "was based on the best information that the Central Intelligence Agency made available to me."

No weapons of mass destruction have been found in Iraq since the beginning of the war despite an intensive search by hundreds of US and British intelligence experts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only that, but he was interviewed by "Meet The Press" and one of his staff members tried to cut the interview off after to said it again!  Click here.

Powell's Interview Is Cut Off
By COURTNEY C. RADSCH

Published: May 17, 2004

ASHINGTON, May 16 ? Secretary of State Colin L. Powell was abruptly cut off during an interview on Sunday on the NBC News program "Meet the Press" when one of his aides decided the interview had gone on long enough.

As Tim Russert, the program's host, began to ask his final question, the camera unexpectedly panned away from Mr. Powell, who was being interviewed in Jordan via a satellite link from Washington. In the confusion, Mr. Powell could be heard saying, "He's still asking me questions," to which a woman's voice answered, "No, he's not."

Mr. Powell, still off camera, said, "Tim, I'm sorry, I lost you," and added, "Emily, get out of the way." Mr. Russert, slightly irate, responded: "I think that was one of your staff, Mr. Secretary. I don't think that's appropriate." After a few seconds the camera returned to Mr. Powell and he finished the interview.

Betsy Fischer, the show's executive producer, identified the staff member as Emily Miller, deputy press secretary to Mr. Powell, and said Ms. Miller "pulled the plug" without warning. Although the interview was taped in advance, she said such interviews were usually run without being edited. Mr. Russert called it a case of "press management gone berserk."

"I've been doing this program for 13 years and nothing like that has ever happened," he said in a telephone interview. "I remember sometimes in countries around the world this happens, but not in America. This is a free press, and political figures can always say `I don't want to answer.' " He said he did not know if it was the content of the question that caused Ms. Miller's reaction or simply that the interview had gone over its allotted time.

Julie Reside, a State Department spokeswoman, said the interview had gone on considerably longer than scheduled, and that the personnel there "made every attempt to get NBC to finish up."

:lol:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
Re: Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleading" [Re: Learyfan]
    #2694399 - 05/18/04 12:22 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Cue tumbleweed.

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

OfflineSquattingMarmot
Inquiring Mind
    #2694712 - 05/18/04 01:53 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I was watching when that whole sequence took place and I was just appaled at the attempted censorship that took place. Frankly I was surprised that they didn't edit it or go directly to commercial to cover up the blunder.

I remember when I was watching CNN live when that Israeli nuclear whistleblower was released after 18 years in solitary confinement. In the middle of his speech - which I'm sure he had been planning for a looong time - he began to go into detail about how he was lured to Rome and kidnapped by the Mossad, Israel's secret service, and the bastard CNN spin-masters cut to a fucking commercial break.  :nonono:

So props to Tim Russert and NBC for doing the right thing.  :thumbup:

--------------------
"In the United States anybody can be president. Thats the problem."

"The gray-haired douche bag, Barbara Bush, has a slogan: "Encourage your child to read every day." What she should be is encouraging children to question what they read every day."

- George Carlin

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2694909 - 05/18/04 03:29 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ehhhhh... Damn liberal media?

--------------------
This space for rent

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2694940 - 05/18/04 03:46 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:

And rightly so. Had the man been smart enough not to lie before a grand jury, he wouldn't have been.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleading" [Re: SquattingMarmot]
    #2694942 - 05/18/04 03:48 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

censorship

You should probably learn what a word means before tossing it around.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleading" [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2695194 - 05/18/04 07:28 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

it does seem to me like the press office was trying to censor Powell.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2695338 - 05/18/04 09:05 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

so what, the administration's new stance is that
it's all Ahmad Chalabi's fault now?

pffft.

I'm hoping Powell is have a case of conscience.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2695427 - 05/18/04 09:52 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"It turned out that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and, in some cases, deliberately misleading,"

But isn't that precisely why the lying bastard said it in the first place?  :laugh:

They needed a reason to panic the gullible into a war, the truth wouldn't have been much use would it.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleading" [Re: Xlea321]
    #2695669 - 05/18/04 11:22 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

misleading isn't lying...im sure bush would never knowingly tell a lie....after all, try and prove he didn't believe his claims on WMD.....

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleading" [Re: Azmodeus]
    #2695698 - 05/18/04 11:30 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

im sure bush would never knowingly tell a lie

why are you so sure of this?

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2695717 - 05/18/04 11:35 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

So..what were the questions being asked of him just before he was cut off?

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleadi [Re: Jellric]
    #2696019 - 05/18/04 12:52 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Well, he repeated that the reasons for war were deliberately misleading and then started to elaborate on that, as far as I can remember. That's when the camera was pulled to the right and all you could hear was Powell argueing with his staff member. Tim Russert was pissed and then the camera went back to Powell.

So here you have it folks. The fucking Secretary Of State is now coming out and saying that the administration deliberately lied to the American people. I think it's because he's a left wing pinko like Clarke was.

Powell is officially distancing himself from the administration. The future of his own career depends upon it . I don't know if it's because he wants to work with President Kerry or what, but Powell sees the writing on the wall and now he's making his move.

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleading" [Re: afoaf]
    #2696303 - 05/18/04 01:41 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

afof, i was being horribly sarcastic....
Obviously the claims were lies from the beginning.

Its just funny the defense i've heard ppl mention for the falsehoods, that he believed what he was saying at the time :rolleyes:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleading" [Re: Azmodeus]
    #2696342 - 05/18/04 01:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

heh, sorry man, I think I'm losing my edge...

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleading" [Re: afoaf]
    #2696354 - 05/18/04 01:49 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Smoke a bowl and get some rest.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleading" [Re: GazzBut]
    #2696780 - 05/18/04 02:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
it does seem to me like the press office was trying to censor Powell.

According to the reports, there was an agreed upon period of time for the interview. It had passed. It was merely an aide who was stupid enough to try and tell a boss what to do.

That is not censorship.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleadi [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2696822 - 05/18/04 03:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Why don't we stop ignoring the elephant in the living room here Luv. What do you have to say about Secretary Of State Powell finally admitting to the world that the Bush administration lied to the American people to get us to support an unjust war?

I mean, Bush didn't lie under oath or anything, but still, this is BIG.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2696860 - 05/18/04 03:06 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'm in shock! I would have never expected this from the Bush administration!  :smirk:

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Powell: "some reasons for war were deliberately misleadi [Re: Learyfan]
    #2696898 - 05/18/04 03:11 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'm sorry. Did I miss seeing him say Bush lied somewhere in that article? Please point it out to me.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]