Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleKttail
DragonDreamer
Male

Loc: S. Oregon Coast , USA
First Grain Jars
    #2695220 - 05/18/04 09:52 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I recently colonized my first grain jars and have discovered something interesting that you may already know. I don't know why it happened and am looking for feedback.
Half the jars had foil loosely over the top of the polyfill lids, the others did not. The ones with the foil colonized much more rapidly and I put two jars in the fridge this morn to await further preparations.

--------------------
"Do not meddle,
In the affairs of Dragons.
For thou art crunchy,
and tasty with catsup."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleYesItsMe
Homeless GOHOME !...

Loc: Working for Piss ;...
Re: First Grain Jars [Re: Kttail]
    #2695473 - 05/18/04 12:12 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting , maybe RH in jar ,not sure...

--------------------
God save the Queen

Offlinepeachy
Transientpsychonaut

Loc: Preserved deep within the...
    #2695927 - 05/18/04 02:30 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Were they all inoculated within a few minutes of each other with syringes created during a short space of time?

Imho it _probably_ has to do with the relative concentrations of the syringes you used to inoculate the jars. There looks to be a fairly even distribution of percentage colonization across your jars. In which case the crux is that the foil is irrelevant; it's the order of inoculation that holds the answer.

Just a wild theory: did you use a spore print(s) to create syringes? In this case perhaps the spores in the most colonized jar were drawn into the syringe when the spores were the most agitated in the water ( and therefore had a better spread of spores suspended in it)?

Other considerations might be how long you allowed your grain to soak or simmer in water before sterilizing it or perhaps in the process of sterilization. Or if you PC'd during sterilization, the ammount of water allowed into your jars by each respective type of lid. Did you prepare the contents of each jar individually? Perhaps its something to do with the ratio or density of the various grains?

Like I say, all the above is speculation. I've no idea why you've the results you have. Perhaps if you provide more detail as to how exactly you prepared, inoculated and then incubated the jars - other more experienced people may be able to provide an answer?

Better still repeat your process, isolate the unknown factor and post it here so everyone else may share the benefit of faster colonization. How long did colonization take?

--------------------
"Time bends, space is boundless. It squashes a man's ego. I feel lonely. Tell me, though... does Man, that marvel of the universe, that glorious paradox who sent me to the stars, still make war against his brother? Keep his neighbor's children starving?"

Offlinepeachy
Transientpsychonaut

#2695942 - 05/18/04 02:33 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

But then again several labels look to read something other than Shiitake, so probably just different rates of mycelium growth :-P

InvisibleKttail
DragonDreamer
Male

Re: First Grain Jars [Re: peachy]
    #2698371 - 05/18/04 09:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmm....the two jars on the left were colonized using a syringe that I had made up using a print months ago and stored in the fridge. The grain was colonized on the fifth of this month at the same time using 6 mils each.
The middle jar and the second from the right were both colonized using toothpicks with shiitake culture from fsre, one toothpick for each jar at the same time. I mis-logged the date and have lost it.
The one on the far right is colonized from an agar culture, again from fsre, using an amount probably the size of a BB...maybe smaller.
Each grain jar was done using the same formula, with the same lids covered by foil, and PC'd in the same batch.
This is the first time I have attempted grain and have to still yet attempt the next step. After I took the picture this morn I put foil on the two jars that don't have it in the picture.
So...the only conclusion I have to date is that for some reason two jars colonized considerably faster than their twin.
Another mention of note is that of those four jars, they are of two completely unrelated strains of fungi.

--------------------
"Do not meddle,
For thou art crunchy,
and tasty with catsup."

Edited by Kttail (05/18/04 09:53 PM)

Offlinepeachy
Transientpsychonaut

#2699357 - 05/19/04 01:43 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well if they're not even the same types, and not colonized with the same syringe/method ... there's your answer. Very much doubt this should be in advanced cultivation.

--------------------
"Time bends, space is boundless. It squashes a man's ego. I feel lonely. Tell me, though... does Man, that marvel of the universe, that glorious paradox who sent me to the stars, still make war against his brother? Keep his neighbor's children starving?"

InvisibleKttail
DragonDreamer
Male

Re: First Grain Jars [Re: peachy]
    #2700130 - 05/19/04 09:10 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You missunderstand...or I miss-led.
If this is not in the right forum, perhaps a moderator would be so kind as to move it or inform me how to do so.
The two on the left are of the same strain, innoculated at the same time in the same manner.
The next two are of shiitake, with the toothpick spawn introduced in the same time in the same manner.
The very point that I was trying to figure out is that of the two jars of each strain, there was identical occurances of a foil lid seeming to be indicative of a faster growth of mycelium.
Although I am not an advanced student of mycology, this growth pattern is something that I did not think beginners would be able to help me on.

--------------------
"Do not meddle,
For thou art crunchy,
and tasty with catsup."

InvisibleYesItsMe
Homeless GOHOME !...

Loc: Working for Piss ;...
    #2700295 - 05/19/04 10:30 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Dryness induce slow colonisation .
Maybe too much air exchange in the uncovery jars .
Could u see condensation ?
How big are ur holes ?

--------------------
God save the Queen

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology