Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | Next > | Last >
Offlinenato23
Stranger
Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: MetalSlug]
    #26945687 - 09/20/20 08:10 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Things are kicking off in the North East.

Got around 10g dried last week and about another 5g dried today even though I wasn't expecting to find any today with the warm weather we've had but I think ive found a gold mine of a field!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKaruna
 User Gallery

Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: Southy]
    #26945942 - 09/20/20 10:35 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

cosmospheric said:
Hey, some amazing finds already this year.

I plan to go Wales next weekend for camping and hunting - not been to wales in a few years, I'm not asking for fields just merely areas or names of places where i might be lucky (dont mind a trek.) Here in london it's, well, none existent at the moment. Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Happy hunting everyone ����
Insta: cosmospheric

At the right time of year I've never not found them in Wales, you just need to know what you're looking for and cover some ground. A common occurrence in my experience is I may walk 10 miles and find them on the last mile, so don't give up. :smile:

I'm from the South East and while I found a field beyond my wildest dreams near London, it's generally not great for libs. The Chilterns have a lot of rocky soil which the liberty caps don't seem to like. That being said, a field around the corner from your house could have what you're looking for. I like to get out of the city to wild places to pick a few and Wales is one of the very best.

Quote:

Southy said:
Congrats to everyone on their finds. Been keeping an eye on the thread & am thoroughly envious of the hauls.

Have been searching around my area for three weeks, on and off, with no success. Very new to mushroom hunting. We've had no rain here for the entirety of September it feels like. Does No Rain mean No Mushroom? We've been checking spots that seem like they would have potential - golf courses, fallow fields, cow pastures - but we can't get a bite.

Would be encouraged if anyone from the Midlands can report success.

Also, we have been using magicmushroommap.org to narrow things down while hunting - has anyone used this site before? Is it reputable?

Mushrooms are 90% water so they need some moisture, they'll be most fruitful after rain but a few can crop up with some cloud, fog, dew etc...

I've had most joy in sheep fields, many cattle fields have the soil compacted from the heavy weight of the animals which doesn't seem to be great for mycelium growth. Saying that, many others have reported success on cattle fields.

Aside from general areas such as Snowdonia, Yorkshire Moors, Dartmoor, Lake District etc any specific locations posted on the web will likely be over picked and not very fruitful. That map is pretty cool and seems to be quite accurate, I wonder whether they take the recent weather into account or work of the fact that the national parks/wilderness and altitude are often the most likely locations.

A few tips for the budding hunters - look for light green grassy areas which are soft under foot with animals grazing, dark green bushy/rough grass with hard soil often isn't great in my experience. Liberty caps also seem to like areas which are sheltered from the wind - behind sedge grasses, rocks, on the side of hills which don't get hit by the wind as strong.

A couple of pictures below, borrowed from ShroomAnon and MowgliJD, show some optimal grasses.

I was camping on Dartmoor again recently and found around a dozen which were already mostly dried by the wind and sun. The grass was very dry in most places and think come October the season should be a good one.

If anyone is interested in wild camping mid October in Dartmoor drop me a PM. I have a few camping buddies but none of them are shroomers, it would be good to share the thrill of the hunt and cook up a brew under the stars.

Happy hunting. :mushroomgrow:

OfflineGoogolplex
Stranger

Loc: SE England
Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: Karuna]
    #26947157 - 09/21/20 02:57 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Yo,

Anyone finding in SE England yet? I'm SE Kent, close to the sea.
It's still kinda dry and we haven't had rain for weeks, but we are starting to see dew on the grass early in the mornings.

Will be my first time picking. I'm interested in the mental health benefits of psilocybi mostly. I tried acid a few times when I was in my late teens, so I'm not spooked by it at all, but have a healthy respect for the power of these chemicals. I'm considering getting enough to microdose (if I find enough) the winter and probably one good trip to give the noggin a reboot.
If anyone has any experience in this regard it would be really interesting to hear.

OfflineWavy_Gravy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: Googolplex]
    #26947203 - 09/21/20 05:03 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

For the life of me I’ve no idea why I done this but I did.. I ate close to 200 dried on Friday night.. cannot even give a trip report because I don’t remember anything, The missus stood outside the bedroom door recording me no video just audio, but i’ll Just say this it was full on Leonardo di Caprio in wolf of Wall Street.  Quite funny listening to it back now.  Also although I don’t remember anything about it I do feel super revitalised.

Edited by Wavy_Gravy (09/21/20 05:09 AM)

OfflineSouthy
Stranger

#26947220 - 09/21/20 05:38 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the excellent info, Karuna - lots to think about.

OfflineBigshroommofo
Stranger
Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: nato23]
    #26948758 - 09/22/20 03:07 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Down in East Sussex and haven’t had any luck at all yet. The weather has been far too hot in my area recently (25 degrees and higher) so the ground is rock hard and there are no signs of shrooms in my usual spots. Waiting for the rain now can’t wait to go out picking !!

OfflineRaymysterio
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: Bigshroommofo]
    #26949010 - 09/22/20 09:27 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Hi mushroom fans

Been out having a look in the West of Scotland and only found a handful of what I think are libs. Today I went to a field I've only ever found similar looking mushrooms before however I'm hopeful I've found some liberty caps this time.

There were a couple of bigger ones I'm not 100% on though it's pretty high ground and I'm pretty far north so I assume there's a good chance some have been growing a while.If someone could have a look and hopefully give an opinion on my photo if be very grateful!

Good luck everyone else!

OfflinePaddyCam
Seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East UK
Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: nato23]
    #26949776 - 09/22/20 05:09 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Indeed they are (kicking off) - picked this lot in one hour from a single field two weeks ago. Heading out again this weekend in the hope of something much bigger :mushroom2:

OfflineMetalSlug

Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: Raymysterio]
    #26950411 - 09/23/20 02:44 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Raymysterio said:
Hi mushroom fans

Been out having a look in the West of Scotland and only found a handful of what I think are libs. Today I went to a field I've only ever found similar looking mushrooms before however I'm hopeful I've found some liberty caps this time.

There were a couple of bigger ones I'm not 100% on though it's pretty high ground and I'm pretty far north so I assume there's a good chance some have been growing a while.If someone could have a look and hopefully give an opinion on my photo if be very grateful!

Good luck everyone else!

Aye, aw looking guid :thumbup: :mushroom2:

Aboot tae head oot ma sel.

Mony a mickle maks a muckle!
:scottish:

Offlinenato23
Stranger
Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: PaddyCam]
    #26950434 - 09/23/20 03:19 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

PaddyCam said:
Indeed they are (kicking off) - picked this lot in one hour from a single field two weeks ago. Heading out again this weekend in the hope of something much bigger :mushroom2:

Juicy!! This weekend will be optimal with these down pours, I'm hope for a good haul this weekend

OfflineWavy_Gravy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: Raymysterio]
    #26950436 - 09/23/20 03:21 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I would throw away from top left.  3rd, 5th, 8th, 13.  Although I do reckon the 3rd one is a lib I’d still throw it as I can’t really see it that well.  The rest are all good!

OfflineMetalSlug

Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: Wavy_Gravy]
    #26950804 - 09/23/20 09:53 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

My best local spots are usually in large public areas of short cut kept grass.

Never had much luck in pasture fields, either the grass was too long or looked like it had been turned over at some point.

New one today and it had a kind of older feel to the grass, a cow pasture, not been turned for 50+ years mybe. Just a few libs but from all over it.

A birch polypore should go well with the lib tea :stirthepot:, and the boletes for lunch.

And for Desert.

Weather for next week looks interesting, going to try higher up.

OfflineJevelzee
Madshroom
 User Gallery
Loc: Scotland Flag
Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: MetalSlug]
    #26952080 - 09/24/20 12:41 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Look at how blue they are! Have never seen such blue libs before :eek:

Up in Scotland we’re looking at frost overnight this week and over the weekend. Could this spell an early end to the season!? Hope not! :confused:

OfflineCrystalMoonLake
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: Jevelzee]
    #26952435 - 09/24/20 09:47 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, any help hugely appreciated, first time trying to eat anything I’ve picked myself apart from blackberries.

(Maybe) Lib caps habitat : fairly high altitude, goat field up hill above small town in valley (northern England).
(Maybe) Fly agaric habitat: similar area, similar altitude, under trees in lightly wooded areas by path.

Thanks

OfflineNippleHat
Stranger

Loc: Earth
Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: CrystalMoonLake]
    #26952524 - 09/24/20 11:00 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Hi CrystalMoonLake :smile: I'm not a trusted IDer, but to my eye, 1, 3, and 8 don't appear to be libs, same goes for the one on the far right in the middle row. Most of those are libs for sure though, good job! :smile:

--------------------

OfflineCrystalMoonLake
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: NippleHat]
    #26952531 - 09/24/20 11:06 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you, NippleHat.  Any ideas on the fly agarics?

OfflineGoogolplex
Stranger

Loc: SE England
Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: Jevelzee]
    #26952765 - 09/24/20 01:22 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

The rains have come in the SE!!!!

Offlineeasychart84
Stranger

#26952887 - 09/24/20 02:34 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Karuna said:

If anyone is interested in wild camping mid October in Dartmoor drop me a PM. I have a few camping buddies but none of them are shroomers, it would be good to share the thrill of the hunt and cook up a brew under the stars.

Happy hunting. :mushroomgrow:

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Based in South Devon, and heading up to the moor first thing on Saturday now that we've had some rain. Went up a few weeks back and although I had a few, was still a little early I feel and just too dry. Will report back my finds from the weekend though.

Would be up for hooking up at some point before the season is out for sure though. Keep in touch 😊 🍄

FYI I find this guide very good to have on when i'm out foraging:

https://www.reddit.com/r/shrooms/comments/590pin/the_only_liberty_cap_guide_you_need_please_stop/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

OfflineLaird
Stranger
Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: easychart84]
    #26953074 - 09/24/20 04:45 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Was out yesterday evening tried one place I have seen activity of other mushrooms but not libs and got chased off a cow so went to another spot I had licked out a sheep field but the sheep have been moved to field next door i was losing light but managed to find 12 which I am positive are libs got them in an airtight tub in the fridge gonna try and find a few more when I get the time and hopefully have enough for a small trip on Saturday the ones j found were still only small so and it's been warm where I am in Central Scotland I am sure by this time Last year I had found more the patch I found last year has nothing to be seen yet so I'm hoping as it gets a bit wtter and colder that they start to sprout

OfflinemanOwar
Siphonophore

Trusted Identifier
Re: Official UK Liberty Cap Thread 2020 [Re: Laird]
    #26953271 - 09/24/20 06:43 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Those big white mushrooms are Coprinus comatus, shaggy manes, a pic from the side would be helpful but I’m confident that is what they are. I assume they looked like a big egg stood on one end, taller than they are wide, with a cap that reaches the ground or close to it at least? Until they begin auto-digesting at least....

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale