Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLophophora
A single drop in the ocean
 User Gallery

Spiny water fleas
    #26947823 - 09/21/20 01:42 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Currently there are no known control measures once a body of water is infected,I also have seen some anecdotal evidence that large numbers of very large  yellow perch have been caught near suspended columns of the spiny water fleas, my question is could a captive breeding program of large native zooplankton eating fish to be released when of sufficient size to eat these pests while also breeding their preferred zooplankton species to reestablish the native population feasible. Or is the isolate and wait for them to eliminate all biodiversity and hope for a rebound the best bet? Serious question, hoping some fellow outdoormen have considered the same. Other possibility I've thought of though have no capacity to do myself is to create a genus specific virus or bacteria to inhibit reaching a reproductive instar have to somehow infect all of the genus which is entirely invasive and has been infecting waters in North America since 1982 so quite large numbers and some areas like the Great Lakes are taking a serious toll. I say needs to affect all members of the genus as they are parthenogenic for part of the year and reproduce sexually the other half so that poses a problem, however if we could inhibit reaching an instar at which reproduction is possible they SHOULD be able to be eliminated or seriously reduced within a relatively short period of time, again however this is out of my capacity to do, maybe someone knows something about this, we've done it with mosquitoes so it is a possibility. Just some ideas and a bit of a rant.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLophophora
 User Gallery

Re: Spiny water fleas [Re: Lophophora]
    #26947834 - 09/21/20 01:51 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Another potential idea I had was adding impassable barriers to creating blocks and diverted access to spawning creeks and after the spawn has ended moving impassable barriers into those areas, would only work on the rivers and tributaries but could potentially help to have separate blocks managed as individual bodies of water while minimizing impact on native species of fish. Create some jobs while it's underway as well.

OfflineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

#26968619 - 10/04/20 06:41 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Have you submitted your proposal?

OfflineLophophora
 User Gallery

Re: Spiny water fleas [Re: Buster_Brown]
    #26975808 - 10/08/20 04:54 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

No as I haven't thought of a way for it to be feasible and within the means the government would be willing to divert funds to, we have thousands of rivers, lakes, creeks and streams.

OfflineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

#26975860 - 10/08/20 05:38 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Here's some Conservancy groups

OfflineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

#26976207 - 10/08/20 09:50 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

A query or two might be rewarding.

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Loc: United States Flag
    #26989874 - 10/17/20 10:27 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

After reading this I thought well just chuck in some alewife or something but after looking into the spiney water flea it appears not only can small fish like alewife not feed on these things cuz of some large spine but the flea also eats the plankton that alewife which is an important cornerstone forage fish feed on. Theres as far as I'm aware not that many large freshwater plankton eater species. But u also have to he careful about adding large populations of things do to the top down effect. One thing that comes to mind is kokanee and sockeye salmon eat and absolute fuckload of zooplankton. I think it would take more than that tho. Like maybe some reverse genetically engineered thing or summin.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Spiny water fleas [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL]
    #26989979 - 10/17/20 11:49 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Monsanto will find a molecule that breaks part of the spiny water flea lifecycle.

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Re: Spiny water fleas [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26990226 - 10/17/20 03:10 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I'm reading more an i guess these things are crustacean. Theyre crabs basically. I think if u were to attack some phase of the crabs life cycle u could really do some damage. You gotta break the crab cycle.

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

#26990244 - 10/17/20 03:30 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Yah no these things fucking suck they not only asexually reproduce clones through the summer in winter the sexually produce resting eggs which can survive a ridiculous range of conditions. Not only that they can survive in the digestive tract of fish.

"
The spiny water flea's life cycle has rapid and unique reproductive strategies. Like other water fleas, Bythotrephes partakes in seasonal parthenogenesis. During late spring individuals emerge from resting eggs in lake sediments. When temperatures are warm enough and food is abundant, B. longimanus will exhibit parthenogenesis. This assexually mode of reproduction allows female spiny water fleas to produce one to ten eggs independent of fertilization that successfully develop into genetic replicas of the mother. At optimum temperatures parthenogenesis produces a new generation of females in less than two weeks. Female clones are propagated throughout the summer or until temperature and food availibility is unfavorable for SWF"

"Through parthenogenesis the spiny water flea can exhibit explosive population growth, but its ability to produce sexual eggs allows it to increase genetic variability as well as survive and disperse under adverse environmental conditions. Development time till primaparity (1st time mom) is not significantly different for the two modes of reproduction, averaging about 14 days. Sexually reproduced eggs can go into a semi-static metabolic condition called diapause. Through these sexual reproduced \"resting eggs\", the next generation of B. longimanus can overwinter and hatch usually when temperatures exceed 4ºC. The spiny water flea can survive a wide range of temperatures, but has lowest mortality between 5ºC and 30ºC. Its development time is temperature dependent and maximised between 20-25ºC without suffering higher mortality. Besides protection from winter conditions, many diapaused eggs can also survive passage through fish digestive tract. A female with a full clutch is double her usual weight . This fact causes increased predation on pregnant females above their conspicuous body with a single large eye and long tail spine and thereby further aids in dispersal"

I think that's the biggest strength and also weakness tho

OfflineLophophora
 User Gallery

#27031032 - 11/10/20 03:49 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Unfortunately we're a mainly landlocked province except for Hudson Bay in the far northern reaches and have only a handful of salmonid species mainly being trout, arctic grayling and the occasional arctic char the last kokanee recorded was caught in the 90's and they've all been from the same small lake so guessing introduced species.

OfflineLophophora
 User Gallery

#27031038 - 11/10/20 03:59 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Definitely bad in some of our waters, had them jam lines coming up through the ice...which is frequently over 5 feet thick in some of the waters I fish in and they survive desiccation and adverse environments so unlike some invasive species I can't just leave them on the ice and hope -50C kills them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds