Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineYumyumyumyum
Thinker
 User Gallery

Loc: PacNW
Couple things, stunted pin growth, jar colonization, and fruiting in jar
    #26936827 - 09/15/20 11:11 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Two of my cakes have pinned but the growth is abnormal. These were cakes 1 and 3 into the chamber Cakes 2 and 4 did great and are in a second flush fruiting chamber. The cakes exist in a FAE Mist. I thought the top part of cake one was looking promising.

Second I have an 8 jar cycle going and some of my jars are pinning in the jars but not completely colonizing.

The pictures are two cakes that went in around the same time give or take 5 days a total of 10 days. They yielded 10g of dried between two cakes on the first go. The next set of pictures are the two cakes that have weird pins. The last set is the stalled jar(over a month) and another that is at 3 weeks growing inside the jar. I have been holding off on birthing as long as I can to get them nice and well colonized.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYumyumyumyum
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Couple things, stunted pin growth, jar colonization, and fruiting in jar [Re: Yumyumyumyum]
    #26937199 - 09/15/20 02:18 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Bump

OfflineYumyumyumyum
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Couple things, stunted pin growth, jar colonization, and fruiting in jar [Re: Yumyumyumyum]
    #26938016 - 09/15/20 08:57 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

ISO reply :frown:. I must be missing something because this site provides very little feedback unless you are kissing someones ass. I get it, use the search function. Like no sh*t Sherlock, thanks Einstein for the information. The last thing I like doing is posting a dead thread that is specific to a problem. I do not even know why I bother helping other people when the help I get it limited to nothing.

OfflinePretendhole
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26938189 - 09/15/20 11:08 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Stalled growth? They are fruiting in the jars?

OfflineYumyumyumyum
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Couple things, stunted pin growth, jar colonization, and fruiting in jar [Re: Pretendhole]
    #26945295 - 09/20/20 01:02 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, they are growing mushrooms in the jars. That part has been ok one I put them in the FC it just means they got a head start. I am more worried about the part of the cake that is not colonizing while its pinning mushrooms.

InvisibleThomsen
I'm a teapot

#26945354 - 09/20/20 01:36 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Yumyumyumyum said:
ISO reply :frown:. I must be missing something because this site provides very little feedback unless you are kissing someones ass. I get it, use the search function. Like no sh*t Sherlock, thanks Einstein for the information. The last thing I like doing is posting a dead thread that is specific to a problem. I do not even know why I bother helping other people when the help I get it limited to nothing.

Maybe it's just your attitude with which there's something wrong. :shrug:

If your cakes are that old they won't grow anymore. Take them out and rinse them under running water. You can scrape off the spots that have not been colonized.
It's not optimal, but it seems they stopped completely.

OfflinePearl
Stranger

Re: Couple things, stunted pin growth, jar colonization, and fruiting in jar [Re: Thomsen]
    #26945571 - 09/20/20 06:31 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Dude, you didn't even wait a full day before complaining no one was answering? You realize you're asking for help here, right? No on is obligated to say anything...

Also, more information is always better: detail your process, show pics of your setup...

All that being said, and without being able to see the full setup:

Pics 1 and 2, looks ok for cakes, not amazing. The fact that all the growth is near the very bottom edge makes me think that that's the only spot with the correct climate, which may indicate an issue in how you're fruiting them.

Pics 3-6
Look dry as fuck.. you can see how the cakes have squeezed in and the cracking of the aborts .

Pics 7-9
Lack of full consolidation can point to a number of things, but in this case I'm betting something else is present as it's also pinning. Think of it like the cake's last ditch to spread its genetics.

OfflineRoscoeReturnsS
Crotchety chode man
Male

Loc: State of Confusion
    #26945816 - 09/20/20 09:27 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Yumyumyumyum said:

You’re being a bitch about not getting a reply, but there is not a single question in your original post. What are we supposed to be replying to? Many people just journal their grows in threads here. Yours is not very special, so nobody replied. Ask a question, give us enough background on your process, and pics. I’ve found most here to be very helpful, as I try to be, but we can’t read your mind.

OfflineYumyumyumyum
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Couple things, stunted pin growth, jar colonization, and fruiting in jar [Re: RoscoeReturns]
    #26946259 - 09/20/20 01:58 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

And you are being a bitch for not reading the original post with pictures or are the pictures suppose to be posted in braile?. My attitude is I help people when I can(Lot more than the help I get) and if you want to be clicky dick about replies good for you! Wow, can I be part of the gang. Leet bro!

There were multiple questions instead of multiple threads but thanks count admin. I am trying different things that are not really covered in the posts.

My attitude is what it is because I have seen some stupid replies instead of great advice. Answer the question move on. Are you running an automated system? monos, agar, cakes, many strains? Different mediums? Sorry bro I am not a mushroom cultivation mind reader so I come to sites like this looking for creative advice not paint by numbers finger painting for kids growing. If you do not have any good input please go find someone else to harass.

The dry ones were pins that grew in the jar. I actually pulled almost 20 grams dried off those initial cakes(Been a fun week). Those are off agar that I thought was spent before my other stuff is ready. I let them sit over a month on top of it.

I am running into a big problem with mushrooms growing in the jars and there is still mixture showing on the bottom. They are colonizing quickly only about 3 weeks in. I do 8-12 jar cycles every 10 days.

Not sure how they could be dry. They are in transition the entire light cycle with mist coming in once every couple hours for 20 minutes then a cold air humid running the entire cycle.

My second chamber has the same thing going but the air flow is circular and a on off fan. I switch my fruited cakes to a second chamber. The one cake I showed about produced some decent stuff but it has a lot of blue stumps on it after a good ice soak in the fridge over night.

Edited by Yumyumyumyum (09/20/20 02:17 PM)

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #26946413 - 09/20/20 03:35 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Your jars that are pinning invitro could be slightly bacterial which can cause pinning before the sub is completely colonized... if it’s on the bottom, it could also be more compressed in those areas and are slower to colonize... it’s hard to tell from the pics but they’re probably just bacterial.. definitely not the end of the world, I’ve cut off uncolonized areas before and the cakes still did alright. 

Bruising on cakes immediately after a dunk is common... should whiten back up after a few days

Faht

OfflineYumyumyumyum
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Couple things, stunted pin growth, jar colonization, and fruiting in jar [Re: fahtster]
    #26946445 - 09/20/20 03:52 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the reply, That is the information I was looking for. I have 12 birthed in all kinds of states. Two of them had that pinning problem and produced some ugly children who were very dense and strong(5.5gd was ok). I swear my carpet was trying to eat me last night. I just birthed the jar I showed with pins. It pinned into the verm layer and was a pain getting it out of the jar. I ended up snapping off a couple bundles :frown:. I am trying to understand why they are colonizing so fast. I have a 16oz jar that I can see the pins growing out the top. Is the possibility they are not kept in the complete dark? I have a work space that has ambient grow light as well as climate control and filtered air. I am also working with a monotub since I had coco coir blocks laying around. It seems to be going better than my first try. I did not add the question about if aluminum is bad.

The picture of the cake has a fair amount of blue stem refuse and stalled starts. Do I shave those off? I try to pull them clean but end up with that sometimes.

I cut the cake(The short one in the chamber) and just pack the bottom with verm after it soaks. I do not mess with anything that smells weird or is messed up. Learned that lesson already. Better to start over than to try and fight a losing battle. 

Lastly I am moving out of a 7th generation from December that I think has run its course to 8x4 strains MDK, Brazil, B+ and GT. There are just coming out of the jars and the one above is a Brazil. Also two separate FC's one for new cakes one for flushes. Both have valves for two types of humidity and FAE. I am trying the humidifiers because I have seen some industrial box builds using them. The positive output airflow is helpful for keeping stuff out because both are filtered. The monotub I assume just leave it alone? 

Edited by Yumyumyumyum (09/20/20 03:58 PM)

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #26946771 - 09/20/20 07:25 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

The other thing I forgot to mention about jars fruiting before fully colonized is that you’re using the tall 1/2 pint jars... ideally you want the shorter wide mouth.  Something that could have happened is that if you don’t use enough inoculate so that it runs all the way down to the bottom of the jar, the taller stature of the tall 1/2 pints Can work against colonization at the bottom.  I’d say if you’re going to keep using those jars, I’d make sure you use more inoculate and slightly push the cake off the sides of the glass with the syringe needle as you inoculate while it’s inserted in the lid hole so the liquid falls all the way down (if you’re not doing those things already)

The light shouldn’t really cause a problem when colonizing.. I have mine out in ambient light all the time without problems, but I do all those things I stated above and use GLC usually so the colonization is pretty fast.  But I’d try keeping future ones in the dark to see if that makes a difference.

Aluminum foil isn’t great for fruiting in as the myc will eat through it, but you should be ok, just keep that in mind. 

The tray looks fine to me.. just waiting to do it’s thing

Faht

OfflineYumyumyumyum
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Couple things, stunted pin growth, jar colonization, and fruiting in jar [Re: fahtster]
    #26946859 - 09/20/20 08:39 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Its the standard 8 once wide mouth jars, I did one 16oz blue glass. I had bad luck with adding to much mushroom juice. I was doing 50-60 per and ended up with a fair amount of ruined jars. Good idea about pushing the syringe on when I inoculate. I usually just do different levels not angles. I do have a couple of the small 4oz jars that I started with back in December. I can up them to 3.5 I usually try to keep a small squirt for agar(They all went to sh*t) so I am waiting on a fat stem to pull some goods out of. I can drop that in a plastic bin. Its looking fine. I just started being serious about the monotub I had two that just crapped out bad when I used straw and manure. That one is coco coir, verm and gypsum. I ever PCed the casing material.

My system is a work in progress now I have to cycling through both chambers and the perlite is not showing a lot of over saturation. The goal is to leave it for a day or more without opening the case to do any misting or FAE. Its a bit over the top but that is the fun of this hobby. I am trying to figure out if they like sitting in a mist and FAE or like being sprayed and fanned.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale