Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish, Portable Greenhouse, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNomad541
Stranger
 User Gallery
Liquid Culture
    #26938898 - 09/16/20 01:55 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

So, this is a new project for me. I have been a medical cannabis grower for over 12 years. I am not starting mushrooms. This is my first attempt at liquid culture . This is day 6 since inoculation. Any input would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDw3
Stranger
Loc: Great White North Flag
Re: Liquid Culture [Re: Nomad541]
    #26939293 - 09/16/20 05:24 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

I'm a novice but in comparison to mine you have way more growth in a shorter time. 
Maybe I should move mine to a windowsill??

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Liquid Culture [Re: Dw3]
    #26939455 - 09/16/20 07:07 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

What did you inoculate with?

OfflineNomad541
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26941108 - 09/17/20 07:45 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Dw3 said:
I'm a novice but in comparison to mine you have way more growth in a shorter time. 
Maybe I should move mine to a windowsill??

Lol...no they are incubating in the dark. I just used the window light for observation and to take a couple pics and then put them back.

OfflineNomad541
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Liquid Culture [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #26941115 - 09/17/20 07:50 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Quote:

CocaineBuffet said:

Quote:

CocaineBuffet said:

I started from spore syringe. 5cc per jar. Incubating at 84-85f.

InvisibleDw3
Stranger
Loc: Great White North Flag
    #26941969 - 09/18/20 10:23 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Thanks for the clarification.
I started mine with only a few drops to conserve my syringe spores.
At 5cc that would be half of my syringe for each.
Keep posting updates, I'd like to see your progress.

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26942353 - 09/18/20 02:26 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Experienced cultivators would never use a spore syringe to make LC. Spore syringes are inherently dirty due to how they are made.

Most spores to grain usually ends up growing mold as a result. Some people are lucky and get a clean syringe and are able to inoculate grain but most will experience failure. The problem with spores to LC is you have no visual indicator that the growth is healthy. The only way you would be able to test if your LC is clean is if you put some drops on agar.

That being said if you were working with agar you would have inoculated the LC with a clean agar wedge instead of a likely dirty syringe.

Also LC does not need to incubate or be in the dark. By incubating them you are likely doing more harm then good.

If you want to consistently grow mushrooms learn agar.

OfflineNomad541
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26945506 - 09/20/20 06:36 AM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Quote:

CocaineBuffet said:
Experienced cultivators would never use a spore syringe to make LC. Spore syringes are inherently dirty due to how they are made.

Most spores to grain usually ends up growing mold as a result. Some people are lucky and get a clean syringe and are able to inoculate grain but most will experience failure. The problem with spores to LC is you have no visual indicator that the growth is healthy. The only way you would be able to test if your LC is clean is if you put some drops on agar.

That being said if you were working with agar you would have inoculated the LC with a clean agar wedge instead of a likely dirty syringe.

Also LC does not need to incubate or be in the dark. By incubating them you are likely doing more harm then good.

If you want to consistently grow mushrooms learn agar.

Thanks, this was my first. I will be working with agar plates in the future.

OfflineNomad541
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26977102 - 10/09/20 03:48 PM (17 days, 13 hours ago)

So I wanted to add some updates to my post. Remember cut me some slack, this is my first go around. I wish to address the comment about agar plates I did take the steps to make some this time round for use in future LCs. I inoculated this morning. Im including pics of my plates, my clean zone. Let's see how it goes from here.

OfflineForgotten Oak
Stranger

#26977280 - 10/09/20 06:27 PM (17 days, 10 hours ago)

How sure are you that that's mushroom mycelium on those plates? Because it doesn't look like any other plate I've seen around here or the few I've got started. I think it looks kind of like a mixture of mold and bacteria?

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Liquid Culture *DELETED* [Re: Forgotten Oak] * 1
    #26977528 - 10/09/20 09:37 PM (17 days, 7 hours ago)

Post deleted by CocaineBuffet

Reason for deletion: I fucked up and made another post when editing look below

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26977540 - 10/09/20 09:44 PM (17 days, 7 hours ago)

Damn money bags with the pre-fab work bench and AA :lol:

On another note: Those dishes look gnarly. If I were you I would start over from the spores you tried to make the LC with. You got agar plates in the mix now and its the tried and true way to A. Know if your culture is clean B. Clean up cultures to ultimately have healthy and clean mycelium.

Take the spore syringe and your plates, (do all the shit you watched Youtube videos about) clean, shake, sterilize with a torch to red hot yadda yadda. Push a little of the spore solution out to cool down the needle and put 1 drop on the plate. You are going to want to put more than you need RESIST the urge!

If you have a sterilized cotton swab such as what I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L19Y5CW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or use a heated to red hot inoculation loop and spread the spores in a zig-zag pattern across the plate.

Do maybe 5 plates just so all your eggs arent in 1 basket, you could do more if you want though.

Wait for the healthy mycelium to show its face (go to Agar Envy in the Mush Cult forum for opinions) and transfer, transfer, transfer. You can inoculate grain with a wedge of your agar on its own but if you are hell bent on doing LC you would inoculate your LC with section of the healthy agar growth.

Also it looks like you have a martha for your grain jars. Nothing in the hobby needs to incubate unless you live in place that like snows during the winter. A lack of light has shown to slow growth rather than increase it. That is why many members just leave the jars in rooms with indirect sunlight. You maybe in the fucking Artic for all I know but most of us in North America get by with 0 incubation.

You have all the elements for mushroom production you just need to keep sharing your progress, questions, documentation, and be willing to learn through failure. This hobby tests your patience and sanity at first but when it comes together its worth it.

OfflineShroomBoomBoomBoom
Stranger
    #26977708 - 10/10/20 12:08 AM (17 days, 5 hours ago)

What a very cool and thoughtful response Mr. Buffett.

Listen to the man. This is some primo knowledge.

I wish I would have been so bold to post my first pics.

I like this place

OfflineNomad541
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26978601 - 10/10/20 04:11 PM (16 days, 13 hours ago)

Thanks for taking time to explain. Start with, I do live in an areas that I see 30s everynight of year almost...maybe a couple really hot summer days might keep in the 40s but most times in the 30s at nigh, 105 in the day but 30s at night...mountain weather got to love it. As far as equipment goes, I learned alot from throwing money here and there on equipment when I was growing cannabis (Legally, I do this for myself and several other patients who suffer from PTSD) , alot of learning curve mistakes..as well as my exwife is a microbiologist and chemist. I bleed her for information whenever she will let me. And so I acquired necessary equipment for whatever I need not just to start but further down the line and production as well.i set myself aside a budget that I was willing to invest and I maintained that.
  So, the plate they look that consistency I believe due to condensation inside the dish. I plan on making new dishes. Im fully invested in getting this down so any information i can get is appreciated. Again thank you for assisting me.

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26979029 - 10/10/20 09:19 PM (16 days, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Nomad541 said:
Thanks for taking time to explain. Start with, I do live in an areas that I see 30s everynight of year almost...maybe a couple really hot summer days might keep in the 40s but most times in the 30s at nigh, 105 in the day but 30s at night...mountain weather got to love it. As far as equipment goes, I learned alot from throwing money here and there on equipment when I was growing cannabis (Legally, I do this for myself and several other patients who suffer from PTSD) , alot of learning curve mistakes..as well as my exwife is a microbiologist and chemist. I bleed her for information whenever she will let me. And so I acquired necessary equipment for whatever I need not just to start but further down the line and production as well.i set myself aside a budget that I was willing to invest and I maintained that.
  So, the plate they look that consistency I believe due to condensation inside the dish. I plan on making new dishes. Im fully invested in getting this down so any information i can get is appreciated. Again thank you for assisting me.

If you are experiencing ambient temps of 105 during the day I would hope you don't leave the incubator on the during the day. Mycelium likes a temp range from 60-80, temps in the low to mid 70s are ideal during fruiting. Lower temps cause slower growth, higher temps increase your chances of mold. So adjust temps where needed.

Strongly advise taking a deep dive into the Agar Envy thread. Answered alot of questions I  had in regards to what my plates were and what healthy mycelium tends to look like.

Condensation does not appear to be the issue with those plates. If the LC is truly clean then you put too much on the plate (more than a single drop). If you know that you put more than that on the plates I would test it again with only the tiniest bit of LC because if its clean it will be obvious.

I too am a grower of the heady nugs (most users on here are or have previously been growers), there appears to be no overlap with mycology. The only thing that parallels in hobbies is just being able to recognize healthy growth versus poor, when to intervene, things you would learn in growing anything.

OfflineNomad541
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26979742 - 10/11/20 11:46 AM (15 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

CocaineBuffet said:
Quote:

Nomad541 said:

If you are experiencing ambient temps of 105 during the day I would hope you don't leave the incubator on the during the day. Mycelium likes a temp range from 60-80, temps in the low to mid 70s are ideal during fruiting. Lower temps cause slower growth, higher temps increase your chances of mold. So adjust temps where needed.

Strongly advise taking a deep dive into the Agar Envy thread. Answered alot of questions I  had in regards to what my plates were and what healthy mycelium tends to look like.

Condensation does not appear to be the issue with those plates. If the LC is truly clean then you put too much on the plate (more than a single drop). If you know that you put more than that on the plates I would test it again with only the tiniest bit of LC because if its clean it will be obvious.

I too am a grower of the heady nugs (most users on here are or have previously been growers), there appears to be no overlap with mycology. The only thing that parallels in hobbies is just being able to recognize healthy growth versus poor, when to intervene, things you would learn in growing anything.

I definitely agree about the overlap. Few similarities still the main one is patience and determination. The love of the art of growing anything. I do heat and condition the general area where my equipment is set up. That way the incubator doesn't have to work as hard. Im going over to envy today, I spoke tonmy ex yesterday after reading your response and asked her to explain in detail of some of the lab procedures you mentioned.this is going to happen for me, it may take a few failures but it will happen. I try to absorb as much as I can, I try different things when it is recommended. But just like cannabis everyone has their own way, and sometime those buck heads with another...but instill try them to see which ones will work for me. Again appreciate you responding inknow alot of forums uounjust get rude responses etc...well yeah I'm new and giving me those kinds of responses are not helping get any better. So I do appreciate the words.

I lost my greenhouse a couole years ago to snow, insurance estimated structural damage at $38,000 in damage + equipment inside...they cover $20,000. So it put a damper on my grow. Impossible to grow outdoors with my weather. Where I live it can frost in the middle of July and nobody would blink an eye about it. I just decided I wanted to move into something new and I had been introduced to this for medical purposes and even though I've had some failures, im still enjoying the learning process.

OfflineNomad541
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26979858 - 10/11/20 01:23 PM (15 days, 15 hours ago)

Update. Day 2 after inoculation of jars with ?? Quality LC. Suprised im already seeing reaction.

OfflineNomad541
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26979868 - 10/11/20 01:30 PM (15 days, 15 hours ago)

1 brief question just to clarify. You said that my growth will do better if I leave a small light while I'm cooking my spawn jars?

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26980430 - 10/11/20 09:03 PM (15 days, 8 hours ago)

That sucks to hear. Looks like you might be the exception to the incubator rule with all the snow. Members on here are eager to help and I seem to have found a shrivel of positivity engaging with this community and helping others. I am usually pesimistic and blunt but the people on here (who can come off jaded at first) are truly here to help eachother get better. Its kind of like a tattoo apprentice relationship, if you take well to advice you will get solid advice back, if you act like king shit of turd island with no evidence to validate it, people will not be as willing to help.... even then some members (very knowledgeable ones) will still try their best to assist you.

Got to be honest the growth on those jars doesn't look too promising. Like I mentioned the spores to LC are a roll of the dice. You got the "LC" on grain already, I say it in quotes because it might not be a culture of mycelium because it could be some organism of mold. So keep watching the growth and share pics in the forum once it has grown out further because that usually makes any problematic growth more obvious.

How are you sterilizing your grains? Looks like you are doing WBS? Foil on top of the jars is outdated by the way. As long as you either have your lid slightly unscrewed or a SFD (or both) you don't need foil when PCing, especially once the jars are out of the PC.

If your mush cult room has no natural light and you don't want the petris outside of that room in a room with natural light just put them with your grains that I am guessing you are running a 12/12 light schedule. You may have mentioned it before I just don't recall and after typing a lot I am too lazy to scroll up and read :lol:

OfflineNomad541
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26981058 - 10/12/20 10:31 AM (14 days, 18 hours ago)

Most i had already had just wanted to use up. Im going to do all new clean plates and go at it again. I just got my sterilizer so im researching materials for spawn jars and substrates. If you have any good recipes that would be nice..lol. im waiting for a couple little hand tools and some new plates. I have plenty of apore syringes to work with. Any recommendations on where is reliable place to order. And working with agar, is it better to start from a spore syringe or find somewhere that I can get spore prints. Or which is the most reliable and cleanest source..

Thank you

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish, Portable Greenhouse, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started