Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: pineninja]
    #26938445 - 09/16/20 08:04 AM (6 days, 6 hours ago)

cultural girdles are life hurdles

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFerdinando
Male

Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26938530 - 09/16/20 09:56 AM (6 days, 4 hours ago)

oh no don't stone me I'd only get it worse!

noooooo...

give me mush instead!

or getting it better!

when you ask someone who has attained enlightenment like a poem:

it's like they can tell you

so how to reach this state

my best advice is lots of meditation

Edited by Ferdinando (09/16/20 09:57 AM)

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: laughingdog] * 1
    #26938606 - 09/16/20 10:53 AM (6 days, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

laughingdog said:
esthetics and production combined in this image:

https://jftor.org/wp-content/uploads/rice-terraces.jpg

completely opposite to American "culture" which lacks any sensibility what so ever.

the rise of billboards, after the highways, were first built,* being the most glaring example

although industrial America has always been a horror

.  Those living in urban America, who don't travel, or explore the world through visual resources, have no idea, how abused they have been and still are, and of course have no clue as to the effect this may have had on their psyches. The people that think Disneyland is an attractive environment, are considered pathetic by much of the rest of the world, whose cultures are older than 2-300 years; and where there are old stone buildings, many villages nestled in mountains, and the landscape has always been cherished. The USA is actually in many ways a sad place.
.    The US is sort of like a place where rich kids are given shiny new toys all the time, but not the two forms of attention they need, just simple loving attention on the one hand, and on the other hand discipline and training as well. Yes I know we now have wealth inequality and malnourished kids in the US today, but nothing like the tragedies going on in much of the rest of the world.
.  So to tie this in with your question DQ. After WWII, the USA became the dominant world power, and spread its style of greedy corporate capitalism world wide, so you are living in the heart of the beast, where the ugliness is the worst and most obvious (in a very general sort of way).
.  World wide junk food and fast food franchises are an american capitalist invention which we 'gifted' to the rest of the world. Now the consequent epidemics of obesity ** and diabetes have spread from the USA to numerous other countries. And this is just one example, of the American life style that has harmed so much of the planet. I don't know if the plastics problem can also mostly be the responsibility of the US, but certainly partly so.

* perhaps around the time of Eisenhower after WWII ?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fat+people+in+america&t=hk&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

The postmodernist philosopher Jean Baudrillard said that Disneyland exists to try to convince people that the rest of America is real.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: Brian Jones]
    #26938899 - 09/16/20 01:56 PM (6 days, 28 minutes ago)

the best of America has always been Mickey Mouse.

my favorite watch was Mickey Mouse, but it ran out of time just like USA

--------------------

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: Brian Jones]
    #26939005 - 09/16/20 03:03 PM (5 days, 23 hours ago)

Quote:

Brian Jones said:

The postmodernist philosopher Jean Baudrillard said that Disneyland exists to try to convince people that the rest of America is real.

Apparently he felt he had to say something very clever  Seems way too convoluted to me.

.  Disneyland  is simply in very poor taste & rather coarse, something that only appeals to a very spoiled privileged people who are unaware and uncaring as regards the rest of the world, and the kids of such people who have also had little contact with somewhat wild nature.

.  I think spelling it out, takes the focus off of the person making the statement, and points at the irony: that what is supposed to be a source of joy is actually a symptom of the tragic superficiality of a powerful nation.
.  People of the world who are affected by America's horrible foreign policies are actually all too aware of how real the USA is.

--------------------

.  When I do not (or someone else does not) reply (to an antagonistic)  post), it does not necessarily mean that the "opponent" point is considered right. It would seem argument only makes sense between those who are both friends on some level, & on another metric also on a similar level, and when both have a commitment to learning. Perhaps therefore posts that can 'stand on their own', are probably more often, of more interest, to more folks.

OfflineThe Blind Ass
Love affair with reality
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: laughingdog]
    #26939083 - 09/16/20 03:40 PM (5 days, 22 hours ago)

But kids all around the world want to go to Disneyland.  Both the Poor & not poor + the Spoiled & the unspoiled.
Think that has some to do with an adults views/experiences of life & Disney -vs- how a child views life (and Disney).

--------------------
Give me Liberty caps - or - give me death caps

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: The Blind Ass]
    #26939104 - 09/16/20 03:50 PM (5 days, 22 hours ago)

Probably so ...

But then again among tribal peoples where kids learn to hunt and do useful things ,almost immediately, and ride real horses --- to them giant plastic exaggerated animals painted with flat bright colors, may not seem so interesting.

But of course I am speculating.

--------------------

.  When I do not (or someone else does not) reply (to an antagonistic)  post), it does not necessarily mean that the "opponent" point is considered right. It would seem argument only makes sense between those who are both friends on some level, & on another metric also on a similar level, and when both have a commitment to learning. Perhaps therefore posts that can 'stand on their own', are probably more often, of more interest, to more folks.

OfflineThe Blind Ass
Love affair with reality
Male User Gallery

#26939120 - 09/16/20 03:57 PM (5 days, 22 hours ago)

I see where ya going with it though and I nod in agreement with the gist of it.  Obv some people would react differently than others.
But your take on it could still represent a decent % of those who would respond the way you say.  :thumbup:
Though how many would respond exactly in either this way or that way or whatever is beyond me.

--------------------

Offlinethealienthatategod
retrovertigo
Female

#26939125 - 09/16/20 03:58 PM (5 days, 22 hours ago)

how could a modern human be convinced to give up their physical securites and comforts?

curturally, the entire modern world is like Disney world, and people seem to enjoy being a servant to it.

OfflineThe Blind Ass
Love affair with reality
Male User Gallery

Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: thealienthatategod]
    #26939141 - 09/16/20 04:05 PM (5 days, 22 hours ago)

It would take someone who has deeply penetrated the reality & nature of our ourselves & our situation to even understand why doing so has merit & value worth abandoning those things for.  Not to mention actually go through with it for good.
  Apart from those who could be counted as those who are able to abandon them all & completely for good , I’d be more impressed by one who with the same or deeper insight & skillful embodiment - manages to find a fine balance between the two extreme opposites - and live all the more attuned to our true nature & reality as is while remaining wise & good & clean hearted & utterly clear minded. While also not performing any evil as judged by their own heart when clear & knowing of things as they are.

I’d call one like that hip& refined in keeping to the deep view and path, excellent in accomplishment, and noble In how they life it. More so than one who gives up all and is still suffering & cloaked in ignorance. Or the one who gains all the world and is still suffering and cloaked in ignorance.  Neither as skillful or wise as the one who is deeply balanced & knowing & unbound to conventions or parties or sects.

--------------------

Edited by The Blind Ass (09/16/20 04:13 PM)

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: The Blind Ass]
    #26939201 - 09/16/20 04:34 PM (5 days, 21 hours ago)

Quote:

The Blind Ass said:
It would take someone who has deeply penetrated the reality & nature of our ourselves & our situation to even understand why doing so has merit & value worth abandoning those things for.  Not to mention actually go through with it for good. ...

Doesn't often happen...
but sometimes it does:

Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuttadhammo_Bhikkhu

"Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu was born, 1979, Noah Herschell Greenspoon in Ice Lake, Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada.

Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu (also known as Bhante Yuttadhammo; born 1979) is a Canadian Buddhist monk. He was ordained in 2001 under Ajahn Tong Sirimangalo.[1]

In 2000, Yuttadhammo traveled to Thailand where he began to practice Satipatthana Vipassana meditation at Wat Phradhatu Sri Chom Tong."

So by the age of 21 he was totally committed, and gave up being a "western person" with a career and relationship.

https://www.youtube.com/c/yuttadhammo/videos

--------------------

Edited by laughingdog (09/16/20 04:38 PM)

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: thealienthatategod] * 2
    #26939363 - 09/16/20 06:14 PM (5 days, 20 hours ago)

Quote:

thealienthatategod said:
how could a modern human be convinced to give up their physical securites and comforts?

curturally, the entire modern world is like Disney world, and people seem to enjoy being a servant to it.

I think in large part the word to use would be "authenticity." The modern world lacks authenticity to such a degree that here we are comparing an entire culture to a fantasy-land. Authenticity was not hard to come by when the economy was not divorced from existential life, such as for a Choctaw or a Hadza. That was authentic living. Now it's so hard to find even a sliver of authenticity anywhere.

Happily, I think we see it more here, at the Shroomery, than in a lot of other places. Just look at what we are talking about.

So I think the lack of authenticity in modern life is really at the root of the tragedy.

OfflineRJ Tubs 202
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #26939501 - 09/16/20 07:26 PM (5 days, 18 hours ago)

Alienation, isolation, and loneliness now runs deep within our species. People are so touch starved that cuddle parties and cuddling services have become popular (pre-pandemic). This is a photo I took of an ad from a local newspaper. 

I believe prostitution should be as highly a respected occupation as doctors and nurses. But that's another thread...

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: RJ Tubs 202]
    #26939596 - 09/16/20 08:12 PM (5 days, 18 hours ago)

Quote:

DividedQuantum said:
Quote:

thealienthatategod said:

I think in large part the word to use would be "authenticity." The modern world lacks authenticity to such a degree that here we are comparing an entire culture to a fantasy-land. Authenticity was not hard to come by when the economy was not divorced from existential life, such as for a Choctaw or a Hadza. That was authentic living. Now it's so hard to find even a sliver of authenticity anywhere.

Happily, I think we see it more here, at the Shroomery, than in a lot of other places. Just look at what we are talking about.

So I think the lack of authenticity in modern life is really at the root of the tragedy.

perhaps part of the reason some enjoy "Western" or cowboy movies, with their Vignettes of blacksmiths and such like often in the backgrounds.

and info like these channels have

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wilderness+living

--------------------

OfflineRJ Tubs 202
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: DividedQuantum] * 1
    #26943015 - 09/18/20 09:21 PM (3 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

DividedQuantum said:

And cultural evolution has brought with it a huge deficit in personal and individual authenticity. Many people are crippled by a fakeness that impedes making connections and forming relationships. People can laugh and call this stupid, but when folks talk about the passionate popularity of the US President, personal authenticity is frequently brought up. It matters not what the reality is, the fact that a large portion of the population finds he exhibits this trait, and place a high value on it, is noteworthy, from a psychological point of view. Personal authenticity is fairly rare, which is why we love it so much when we meet someone who engages in it.

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The yin and yang of cultural evolution [Re: RJ Tubs 202]
    #26945794 - 09/20/20 11:18 AM (2 days, 3 hours ago)

I suspect those who think Trump 'authentic' mistake the emotions of anger and contempt for authenticity, because that is the main 'vibration' they resonate with in life.

And of course this fits in with either an unwillingness or inability to do much thinking, and a preference to deal with life issues with emotion rather than reason.

Apparently the fact that actors, use emotion, to engage an audience;
or that politicians (other than wooden Obama & Gore), use emotion, to manipulate an audience, escapes those whose main vibration in life is anger.

Such folks like to attend protests, shout, chant 'lock her up', and some percentage of them to engage in actual violence.

--------------------

Edited by laughingdog (09/20/20 11:26 AM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#26945956 - 09/20/20 12:42 PM (2 days, 1 hour ago)

the Hollywood presidents emote according to script best.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology