Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 1930 | 1931 | 1932 | 1933 | 1934 | 1935 | 1936 | 1937 | 1938 | 1939 | 1940 | 1941 | 1942 | 1943 | 1944 | 1945 | 1946 | 1947 | 1948 | 1949 | 1950 | Next > | Last >
Offlinejunk_f00d
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #26936062 - 09/14/20 10:24 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tryptkaloids said:
You are smelling what im selling :thumbup:

Sweet. I'm gonna avoid pouring due to contam wick paranoia until I complete those tests. For now I'll make a special loupe just for checking LCs, I don't see how that could go wrong but was hoping some big brain shroomerite had another idea. A lot people here do free pouring, so I thought there would be a more strong consensus on how to test it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTedsDead
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: junk_f00d]
    #26936068 - 09/14/20 10:27 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

junk_f00d said:
Quote:

TedsDead said:
You can fill a syringe and squirt a bit out onto a dish:shrug:  crack the lid just enouff to fit the needle in.  If its good u have a syringe u can use to make more lc with

I'm trying to find slick ways to avoid syringes all together. The way I see it my options are to insert a flame sterilized loop into my LC and streak it, or pour the LC over my flame sterilized loop.

Quote:

tryptkaloids said:
If you really want to avoid tools in your lc you can always pour into a sterile vessel and test from there.

I wouldnt reccamend it tho because the liquid on the rim can wick contams in

what do you mean? pour into a sterile vessel containing what exactly? earlier I mentioned potentially pouring into a blank petri that I then dip my loop into, if that's kinda what you mean.

I have my LC in pint jars right now but I'm looking to upgrade to small media vessels made for pouring without dripping, which should minimize the contam wicking. like these:
https://www.amazon.com/500ml-Proof-Bottle-Graduated-Durable/dp/B07DW6HF4V/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=250ml+media+bottle&qid=1600141651&sr=8-25

but yes contam wicking after testing is really a big concern, I'm not sure how much of an issue it will be for me until I run those tests I mentioned earlier. In other words I'm not sure if this is realistically something that will cause problems (given the proper pouring vessel) or just theoretically, basically

Seems like u wouldnt get enough tissue to test... I like to test on at least 3 plates so thats multiple swabs with the loop and multie vectors.  Learn to trust your technique... if its good enough that is...

--------------------
weed gets you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no weed...  -the fabulous furry freak bros
If you can buy it, you can burn it!

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25947396#25947396

Offlinejunk_f00d
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: TedsDead]
    #26936095 - 09/14/20 10:54 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I agree that I should trust my technique, but I'd rather additionally prove to myself it was fine before nocc'ing up a buncha grain. Shit happens. I hadn't thought about the volume of the sample being an issue though, do you really think that's accurate? I haven't heard about people checking LCs on multiple plates, for example. Makes sense though, but I think my single loop streak will be enough of a comprimise. Alternatively, I could make a fat enough loop to streak liquid on three plates..?

Edit: well, nice to know another grower, and a TC at that, does it like this, so that gives me some confidence I guess:
Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
Usually, if and lc is contaminated it'll be pretty obvious on agar. The nutritious liquid is an amazing breeding ground and any contaminate will likely flourish and dominate.

I Flame a loop, let it cool (obviously in front of the hood or in a SAB), dip it in the LC and the streak it across the agar. i find this makes it easier to tell what i have going on later. Then you just have to get good at knowing what you are seeing on agar.

Edited by junk_f00d (09/14/20 10:57 PM)

Offlinedelvinnguyen
Stranger
    #26936102 - 09/14/20 11:00 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

First run of a monotub here. Got a pretty decent pinset. would bottom watering this be necessary? definitely trying to make sure as many of them reach maturity as possible.

InvisibleTedsDead
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: junk_f00d] * 1
    #26936124 - 09/14/20 11:12 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

junk_f00d said:
I agree that I should trust my technique, but I'd rather additionally prove to myself it was fine before nocc'ing up a buncha grain. Shit happens. I hadn't thought about the volume of the sample being an issue though, do you really think that's accurate? I haven't heard about people checking LCs on multiple plates, for example. Makes sense though, but I think my single loop streak will be enough of a comprimise. Alternatively, I could make a fat enough loop to streak liquid on three plates..?

Edit: well, nice to know another grower, and a TC at that, does it like this, so that gives me some confidence I guess:
Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
Usually, if and lc is contaminated it'll be pretty obvious on agar. The nutritious liquid is an amazing breeding ground and any contaminate will likely flourish and dominate.

I Flame a loop, let it cool (obviously in front of the hood or in a SAB), dip it in the LC and the streak it across the agar. i find this makes it easier to tell what i have going on later. Then you just have to get good at knowing what you are seeing on agar.

Just saying... suppose your streak was not clean and contamed your lc.  If u take a syringe and can test that its clean, even if your origional lc tams out u have a backup to start anew from. Its no different feom a loop except that u take a sample as well.

Confidence... you guess:shrug:  try the methods for yourself and know for yourself what works best.  Thats science

--------------------
weed gets you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no weed...  -the fabulous furry freak bros

Edited by TedsDead (09/14/20 11:14 PM)

Offlinejunk_f00d
 User Gallery

#26936144 - 09/14/20 11:23 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

You mean my loop was not clean and contaminated my LC? But I definately see the merits of the syringe, but would like to try fool-proofing the free pour before using syringes (if for no reason other than fun).

Syringes in themselves are also a whole 'nuther vector, it's not as if they're impervious to contamm'ing. Actually, the likelihood of my loop contaminating the LC is proabably roughly equal to the likelihood of the syringe contaming the LC (and the sample it sucks up). Just saying it's not so black and white, I don't think streaking will be strictly worse. The advantage of the syringe IMO lies in the fact that testing it for cleanliness doesn't really introduce a possibility for contams (which is a big advantage, ofc). The downside is it's another thing to prep that I believe I can avoid (at no loss of function OR RISK) with adequate technique.

Edited by junk_f00d (09/14/20 11:30 PM)

InvisibleTedsDead
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26936159 - 09/14/20 11:29 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

You innevitably will get lc on the rim of your jar which may wick in contams... having something like a syringe or loop will save your jar for later use.  Pour as the last step.

Syringes come sterile in packaging so no prep at all.  I get like 50 from 500 ml of lc.  Its a great method if u want to save/disperse.  Just dont pour to test that effs your jar up!

Just try and observe then learn from the results. 

--------------------

Edited by TedsDead (09/14/20 11:34 PM)

Offlinejunk_f00d
 User Gallery

#26936164 - 09/14/20 11:33 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I am planning on tilting my LC to get an easy streak, not pouring. Then letting the test plate grow out. Then pour everything until the LC is gone. This minimizes the risk of contam wick while still letting me test my culture in a relatively safe manner.

Edit: yeah you're right, I just mean cleaning them out and resterilizing them (and keeping them sterile until next use) and shit. That all sounds like a nasty vectorfest. I've got a pack of 20 60ML syringes and 14G blunt tips I keep meaning to use. And yeah I'll be trying shit out, just kind of theory crafting before my LC's are done colonizing :thumbup:

Edited by junk_f00d (09/14/20 11:36 PM)

InvisibleTedsDead
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26936168 - 09/14/20 11:35 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Soubds lime u got it all planned out then... why post, are u not confident?

--------------------

Offlinejunk_f00d
 User Gallery

#26936175 - 09/14/20 11:39 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

No I am it just started as me wondering if there were any other options for testing an LC without a syringe. Just thought someone may have thought of something better than loop'ing. I was penciling out some budgetting a couple nights ago, deciding whether it's cheaper to get these nice no drip media bottles or to get a bunch of syringes, LC lid stuff (which I know aren't necassary), then factoring some other stuff like maintenance time, reliability etc. IDK just been thinking about it, think I'm gonna drop the money on the media bottles if this works out well. I've got a couple I use for agar normally I was gonna test with LC.

Edited by junk_f00d (09/14/20 11:42 PM)

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Loc: Exact Center
Trusted Cultivator
    #26936266 - 09/15/20 01:39 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I fucking love your way of thinking and your attitude junk food.

--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.

Offlinesmalltalk_canceled
Babnik
 User Gallery

#26936669 - 09/15/20 09:32 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

same problemos every time with "low level" lcs, its definitely true that lot of simple mediums get contamed after using them the first time, or returning to them for another batch, in my experience
Quote:

junk_f00d said:
No I am it just started as me wondering if there were any other options for testing an LC without a syringe. Just thought someone may have thought of something better than loop'ing. I was penciling out some budgetting a couple nights ago, deciding whether it's cheaper to get these nice no drip media bottles or to get a bunch of syringes, LC lid stuff (which I know aren't necassary), then factoring some other stuff like maintenance time, reliability etc. IDK just been thinking about it, think I'm gonna drop the money on the media bottles if this works out well. I've got a couple I use for agar normally I was gonna test with LC.

Ever considered baby bottles, they are PC proof, the smaller ones has a very small hole for the baby to drink from so small drops, easy to saeal and a syringe could be used and the hole repaired on the "feeding" part.

Looking at baby bottles in the store in a new light now.

halfway expecting baby bottle tek to show up

--------------------
Willpower is the one true virtue

Edited by smalltalk_canceled (09/15/20 09:33 AM)

OfflineJbets75
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Northeast Florida Flag
Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: smalltalk_canceled]
    #26936693 - 09/15/20 09:46 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Just wanted to thank tryptkaloids.  Bottom watering my second flush saved my cubes literally overnight. 

Yesterday

Today

Thanks man.  Saved 5 of my shoe boxes.

OfflineJbets75
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: Jbets75]
    #26936697 - 09/15/20 09:48 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Since I bottomed watered and will probably harvest today. I guess I don’t need to dunk?  Right.

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: smalltalk_canceled]
    #26936771 - 09/15/20 10:32 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

smalltalk_canceled said:
same problemos every time with "low level" lcs, its definitely true that lot of simple mediums get contamed after using them the first time, or returning to them for another batch, in my experience
Quote:

junk_f00d said:

Ever considered baby bottles, they are PC proof, the smaller ones has a very small hole for the baby to drink from so small drops, easy to saeal and a syringe could be used and the hole repaired on the "feeding" part.

Looking at baby bottles in the store in a new light now.

halfway expecting baby bottle tek to show up

Baby bottles are old school as hell. Been done for years but lost popularity once decent SHIP’s became widely available.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4141612#4141612

OfflineJbets75
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #26936783 - 09/15/20 10:43 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I have MEA plates that didn’t germinate via ms solution.  Can I reuse those plates for a transfer if they are still clean?  Don’t want to waste em.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: Jbets75]
    #26936787 - 09/15/20 10:46 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn’t simply because there is a possibility that late to germinate spores including potential mold spores could still be lurking. The risk is likely low but, in a game with millions of microscopic vectors I try to eliminate as many as possible.

OfflineDr PinkShroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #26936810 - 09/15/20 11:01 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Pictures of my second tub before harvest.  I made some nice dark spore prints for future use, my next adventure in mycology is agar.  I got 111.2 g off my first flush seemed a little low.  Hoping on a second flush on both tubs.  This tub should put up a little more I think.

InvisibleWhyterye
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: Dr PinkShroom]
    #26936912 - 09/15/20 11:58 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Can you get different genetics from the same spore print? Can you use the same spore print and get all different types of outcomes? What about swabs?

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: Whyterye] * 1
    #26936929 - 09/15/20 12:04 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

A small spore print probably contains hundreds of trillions of potential genetic combinations or more.

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 1930 | 1931 | 1932 | 1933 | 1934 | 1935 | 1936 | 1937 | 1938 | 1939 | 1940 | 1941 | 1942 | 1943 | 1944 | 1945 | 1946 | 1947 | 1948 | 1949 | 1950 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck