Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> The Gaming Grotto

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery

Who here gamed competitvely back in the 90s early 2000s?
    #26886022 - 08/18/20 05:56 AM (1 month, 4 days ago)

I started gaming in a serious way back in '96 or '97. I used to play on kali.net software, Duke3d. Back then, we used a ladder website called Cases Ladder.....anyone remember this?

Years later, I transitioned to Starsiege Tribes. IMO, that game was decades ahead of its time. It was an FPS game, the main gameplay was CTF, and it was INSANE.

Remember what they called shitty ping back then? HPB....high ping bastards, lol.

Anyone remember playing Half-Life when it first came out? The multiplayer was awesome.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: Who here gamed competitvely back in the 90s early 2000s? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #26886046 - 08/18/20 06:36 AM (1 month, 4 days ago)

I played a certain FPS at a high level for a while. Not gonna name names or anything, but I can generally play any FPS I pick up at a high level if I practice for long enough. Part of that is probably just because I've been playing online FPSes for as long as the genre has existed.

A few years back, I tried CSGO for a bit, but people got all pissy once I put in enough practice to start winning. I can't believe the level of immaturity in that game. Everybody was fine while I was just playing around, but the minute I started winning, people got crazy, crazy angry. I've seen some people get pissy, but this was on a whole different level. It really turned me off to the game.

At the end of the day, I'm there to have fun. The person I'm playing against is myself. I've lost (and won) tens of thousands of matches over the years, it really doesn't matter to me if I win or lose a round, that's not what I'm there for at all. What I love is trying to improve myself, trying to do better match after match. And it's just a video game, I'm there to have fun. But I guess some people lose their shit over it.

OfflineCaptainParanoid
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Who here gamed competitvely back in the 90s early 2000s? [Re: nooneman]
    #26886076 - 08/18/20 07:16 AM (1 month, 4 days ago)

Although I had played games for years I didn't start playing in a clan and on ladders until counter strike MOD for half-life came out and then Day of Defeat MOD. I got more into competitive gaming with the original COD and then BF2.

I stopped playing competitively with BF2, but continued to play with a clan until BF  4. When BF hard line came out, and COD had optics that let players see through walls it was all downhill in my opinion.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Who here gamed competitvely back in the 90s early 2000s? [Re: CaptainParanoid]
    #26889771 - 08/20/20 11:41 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

I did competitive Doom2 deathmatch for a while. Did alright. Still hop on some of the old servers sometimes.

OfflineCosmicFool
Psychoholic
 User Gallery

Loc: 203 Flag
Re: Who here gamed competitvely back in the 90s early 2000s? [Re: Kryptos]
    #26919033 - 09/05/20 12:36 PM (17 days, 1 hour ago)

I was competitive level in Mortal Kombat 2 back around 2003
mostly just played on Kiallera though
fighting games are completely different at high levels
and i don't feel i can do it anymore, my reaction time has definitely decreased

--------------------

OfflineDancingWolf
FluffButt
Male

Loc: 8B - Gulf Coast
Re: Who here gamed competitvely back in the 90s early 2000s? [Re: CosmicFool]
    #26935970 - 09/14/20 11:31 PM (7 days, 14 hours ago)

I used to play a lot of Diablo 2 and starcraft back in the day, counter-strike 1.6, CZ, and Source, but my last bit of clan based gaming fizzled out shortly after Crysis. We moved to Crysis wars and then to Farcry 2 but it came to an end and people went their own ways. I did some raiding in WoW but the game completely deteriorated after Wrath of the Lich King and the Activision take over. Vanilla WoW was great though, world pvp before battlegrounds ruined it.

Counter-strike was my first real introduction to ladder play, along with Diablo 2 HCCL (classic ladder). I'm hoping Diablo 4 will return to Diablo 2, I'm anticipating spending a lot of time on that and will be my first multiplayer game in a very long time.

Gem Activated.

--------------------
My trade list.

InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
Re: Who here gamed competitvely back in the 90s early 2000s? [Re: DancingWolf] * 2
    #26935985 - 09/14/20 11:39 PM (7 days, 14 hours ago)

Yeah, late 90's and early 2000's were all about Diablo 2: LoD, Starcraft Brood War and Counter-Strike 1.6 and then Warcraft III a few years later. I was in a clan with over 300 members - being promoted to the rank of Admiral was epic for my 13 year old self.

To younger members, there used to be places called "Internet Cafes" where you went with your friends to play LAN games while loading up on energy drinks and chocolate bars. Sadly these eventually went out of business. I played Starcraft for many years, never really getting any better but I had a blast. The cool thing about Diablo 2 was that you could chill in a chatroom and show off your fancy gear.

--------------------

Edited by EternalCowabunga (09/14/20 11:41 PM)

OnlinePrincessRosalina
Stranger
Re: Who here gamed competitvely back in the 90s early 2000s? [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #26947949 - 09/21/20 04:59 PM (20 hours, 53 minutes ago)

Half Life multiplayer was great. Have you played Half Life: Alyx?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

General Interest >> The Gaming Grotto