Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTolldom
Noob Swede
13 days into fruiting, scraped top layer off because of no pinning.
    #26932785 - 09/13/20 02:24 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys, I need some help..

Im a first time grower, using popcorn and coconut coir..

First of all, my growing technique haven't been perfect. I think everything have been just a little bit too moist all from start.
I did put it in fruiting condition too early, and when colonizing the substrate I didnt use any airholes, totally sealed.
Though, i opened it up a few times of curiosoty for smelling it..

Although, just a few days into fruiting, all top layer was covered with airy mycel.
Later I read that if all the substrate was covered, it wasn't too good and if so, i should put a thin layer of new substrate on top, so i did. The day after I posted a pic here in the contam thread and people said it was mold..

I didnt want to belive and I asked the guy i bought the mycelium from and he said  it was looking good and I should keep the FAE high, so I did. It gave me some hope.

I kept it going, not misting too much and kept the FAE high and the top layer got more and more covered again.. Looking different this time though.

Now i started to worry again, parts became yellowish, but i read it shouldnt be much of a problem (mycel piss/bacteria?).

Now, 3 days later. Day 13 in fruiting. I woke up, looked my tub and all these what I thought was pins yesterday after a big bowl of weed.
Didn't look so much like pins anymore...
I lost my hope, made a quick search, and i ripped the top layer off.

Now, im worried i fucked up.
Is this all screwed now?
Should i do something more for this shit to start pinning?
Cover the top with vermiculite?

The cake is still moist and the tub smells ALOT like mushrooms now since i removed that top layer. (And the scraped off mycel started to bruising blue shortly after...

Also, this layer ripped off, it had a consistensy veery mushroomy. I don't know, maybe everything was going in the right direction, but i was sure for a while that it was all dead, and that the thick layer didnt allow everything that was under to breathe.... Idk.

Help please :O
(Can i take some mycel from the substrade for colonizing a new jar of popcorns?)

Edited by Tolldom (09/13/20 02:36 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 13 days into fruiting, scraped top layer off because of no pinning. [Re: Tolldom]
    #26932845 - 09/13/20 04:19 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Throw that shit in your garden and start over is my advice.

Quote:

(Can i take some mycel from the substrade for colonizing a new jar of popcorns?)

And I'm not trying to be rude but I would highly suggest doing a lot more research on making spawn, sterile technique, and growing mushrooms in general, because this question tells me you don't know the basics.

(No, you can not take contaminated substrate crap and put it on more grain)

Good luck man we're here to help but you gotta put in some work and learn the basics.  Others can hopefully post some helpful links as well...

Good luck :peace:

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineTolldom
Noob Swede
Re: 13 days into fruiting, scraped top layer off because of no pinning. [Re: Forrester]
    #26932982 - 09/13/20 07:55 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:...but you gotta put in some work and learn the basics.

First, I may be a beginner but im not stupid. :wink:
I've been reading a little at a time for years now, and the last 2 months i've been reading 3h+ every day.
And no, im not gonna throw it until i know its 100% screwed.

Everything was done according to guides, grow logs and videos..
Chlorine, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and heat was used for sterilization. Gloves, clean environment and a face mask where used until later on when everything seemed colonized.
After colonization what i think, was some bacteria got inside - that was causing the yellow spots.

According to what i've read in different posts, guides and also according to my seller, choir is very mold resistant and Im not gonna accept that I have a tub with mold. :P
During colonization, there is a chance that it was just a little bit too moist though.

The choir where only pastuerized and more shouldn't have been nessecary.

The smell aint moldy either. It smells like pure, clean mushrooms.
A smell feeling good to smell.
Also, the layer I took off was bruising blue from being white, after breaking/damaging it. Can mold do that?

What i think, i should have letting it alone when everything got covered first time and i shouldnt in panic been putting another layer choir on top..

Consider I have a mold free tub here. Fully colonized and ready for fruiting:

The easiest way to know if its moist enough or too dry? Is there any way to see?

Can i have a fan, fanning it directly 24/7 or can you fan it to much? It feels like the air inside the tub is very humid after fanning it for a while.
Evaporation is a great pinning trigger, what i've read. Is there some way to increase evaporation? (Except fanning)

Is there any other thing I can do to increase the (chance of) pinning?
I've read something on putting wax papers on top or bubble wrap?

During colonization the temperature kept between 78-82F, during fruiting Its kept around constant 72-76F.
Should be OK right?

Quote:

Forrester said:
Throw that shit in your garden and start over is my advice.

Quote:

Ok, considering we have a tub, very clean looking and smelling, have been perfectly made, bringing perfect mushrooms.
Could you take a bite from that perfect cake, the middle of the cake, starting over, colonizing a new jar? Or will there 100% sure be some kind of contam inside of there anyway?

Thanks.

How it looks like now:

Edited by Tolldom (09/13/20 08:08 AM)

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 13 days into fruiting, scraped top layer off because of no pinning. [Re: Tolldom]
    #26933014 - 09/13/20 08:24 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

The surface was rough from bad conditions.

Idk what teks you’re reading but those don’t sound like any I’ve heard of. 13 days is not nearly enough time and regardless removing the surface won’t speed it up.

In this case the surface was so beat up it may grow back healthier than before if you can maintain good conditions. Just try to keep it from drying out it looks like that’s what happened before.

I did the same thing when I started, unless you’re somewhere very humid it doesn’t take much to over do the fae.

--------------------
LAGM2020

OfflineTolldom
Noob Swede
Re: 13 days into fruiting, scraped top layer off because of no pinning. [Re: A.k.a]
    #26933063 - 09/13/20 09:25 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Idk tek name. But it became some kind of shoebox/monotub.
First I was supposed to put it in a mushroom grow bag with microfilters.
But when I was gonna put it in fruiting, my box didn't fit, lol.
Improvized a monotub with probably poorly drilled holes.
Just yesterday i made new holes closer down to the substrate...

Colonizing popcorn, then putting it in coconut choir as a substrate. Very simple.
Haven't read about it somewhere else, but this was the guide my seller sent me.

Hmm, dried out you say.. How can I know without a hygrometer? I've seen  driplets in the bottom and later on i thought the surface was moist.
But i noticed the sides of my tub didnt fog as much as first few days of fruiting...

Though i've been misting the sides of the tub every day and was worried that everything was too moist..
This may be the hardest part to know for me i think.

I gotta check out the moisture/fanning more closely..

Tub, looking silly af now when ½" substrate went gone.
Having a 6500K sun therapy lamp on top atm.

Edited by Tolldom (09/13/20 09:28 AM)

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26933071 - 09/13/20 09:33 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I missed some of the pics, phone stuff.

It looks like it was matted up from being too wet and then maybe dried out on the edges.

If you prepped the coir right you don’t need to mist more than very lightly once every couple days. Sometimes you don’t need to do it at all before the first flush.

You want little beads of water on the myc but that’s it. If they dry up completely then cut back on air a tiny bit and do a light mist to replace the beads. Don’t mist it directly, spray up and over the tub so it rains down.

This is about how it should be.

That tub might be better off with the lid just put on like normal.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Edited by A.k.a (09/13/20 09:36 AM)

OfflineTolldom
Noob Swede
Re: 13 days into fruiting, scraped top layer off because of no pinning. [Re: A.k.a]
    #26933089 - 09/13/20 09:46 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Alright, thank you.

I think the choir was a little too moist from start. Therefore the huge amount of airial mycel.

I think the moisture should be OK/better now.

I will try putting the lid on instead. Do you think i need to make more holes? 3 holes on the long sides and only 1 at each short side now, about 1/4" each.

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26933135 - 09/13/20 10:18 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

No they do well even with no holes.

--------------------
LAGM2020

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26933348 - 09/13/20 12:19 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tolldom said:
Quote:

Forrester said:...but you gotta put in some work and learn the basics.

First, I may be a beginner but im not stupid. :wink:
I've been reading a little at a time for years now, and the last 2 months i've been reading 3h+ every day.
And no, im not gonna throw it until i know its 100% screwed.

Everything was done according to guides, grow logs and videos..
Chlorine, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and heat was used for sterilization.

I was in no way trying to imply that you were stupid.  We've all been beginners at this hobby and it's confusing as hell, I remember well...

But when you're innoculating grain, anything that's touched the open air at all is considered contaminated - so the only thing you want to inoculate PC'd grain with is a sterile culture.  In a sterile environment like a still air box or a flow hood.

Heat sterilizes.
Chlorine does not.
Hydrogen peroxide does not.
Alcohol does not.

You cannot just wipe things with sanitizing cleaner and call them sterile.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineTolldom
Noob Swede
Re: 13 days into fruiting, scraped top layer off because of no pinning. [Re: Forrester]
    #26935304 - 09/14/20 02:21 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Do you mean the mycelium syringe i used might have been infected with bacteria?

Well, the mycel inside the syringe was a little yellowish but might have been the agar it was taken from???? Idk..

However. I was very careful at this stage. Doing my best to not get any contamination.
I didnt use a pressure cooker, but i boiled the jar of popcorns for 3 hours (double the time the guide i was reading/using said).
Carefully lifting the micropore-tape, injecting the mycel into the jar.
Though, I thought I failed already at this stage because of the mycel didn't want to go through the needle.. The needle fell off and I thought that everything went outside of the jar.....
Colonization went easy though.

I think the yellow mycel piss/bacteria contam came after colonization.. Too much moisture combined with my airing and smelling, using my dirty working  clothes/cap/hair.. (In my work i visit 6-10 households a day - still no symptoms of any corona, no mask, no nothing (just sayin' :wink:(In Sweden, no lockdown)))

Edited by Tolldom (09/14/20 02:38 PM)

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26935351 - 09/14/20 02:52 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

If you're getting overrun that bad with bacteria before it even puts out a mushroom, it probably came from your spawn, ie; the syringe you inoculated it with.  Liquid culture is very prone to contamination.

But you didn't say much about your substrate prep, etc. so it's hard to say.  It's not from you opening it too much to look inside.

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineTolldom
Noob Swede
    #26938385 - 09/16/20 04:46 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmm, yeah.
I bought two syringes with mycelium. One of them (the one i used for this), the mycel inside was more yellowish.
My seller said it was because of different agar.
Maybe it was just bacteria from there, all along?

Is it normal that the mycelium is looking veeery dense and seems like it dont want any water??? It's looking dry, but when i squeeze the box, it seems like its alot of water inside....

This dense mycel, is it because of bacteria?

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26939367 - 09/16/20 04:15 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I believe it is, yes.  I've never had any luck getting any species to pin when the substrate was all dense and plasticky like that.

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26939600 - 09/16/20 06:14 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Could be from being too wet also, or both.

Looks like there’s a bunch of knots though so you should have more pins tomorrow probably.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures