Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
Could I microwave a syringe of water w/o it melting?
    #2693058 - 05/17/04 09:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I once neaded to inject some water in some mycobags, I accedently made it too hot and neglected them for a couple days and they got dired out some. A friend told me to inject some water in 'em. So I boiled some bottled water in a mug (which I had cleaned w/ alcohol) Then I microwaved it just to be careful (i thought) then I sucked it up in my syringe (which I had fully filled w/ alcohol for a while then emptied it out completely). I capped the needle part and let it cool in a glass of ice water...then injected it in my bags (of coarse I swabbed it w/ alcohol and flame sterilization and shit) And my bags wound up getting contaminated a few days later. What did I do wrong?!

Oh...and could I microwave a syringe w/o it melting?

--------------------
check out www.island.org Started by Bruce Eisner, it's an organization trying to make Island by Aldous Huxley a reality.

Edited by Elfmachine (05/18/04 08:32 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
Re: Could I microwave a syringe of water w/o it melting? [Re: Elfmachine]
    #2693240 - 05/17/04 10:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Elfmachine said:
I once neaded to inject some water in some mycobags, I accedently made it too hot and neglected them for a couple days and they got dired out some. A friend told me to inject some water in 'em. So I boiled some bottled water in a mug (which I had cleaned w/ alcohol) Then I microwaved it just to be careful (i thought) then I sucked it up in my syringe (which I had fully filled w/ alcohol for a lil' while then emptied it out completely) in front of my (Oreck) air filter. It was pretty damn hot. I capped the needle part and let it cool in a glass of ice water...then injected it in my bags (of coarse I swabbed it w/ alcohol and flame sterilization and shit) And my bags wound up getting contaminated a few days later. What did I do wrong?!

Everything.Next time you do anything like that follow this procedure:
Syringe Tek/Sterile water

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

Offlineempath
I feel you

Loc: Seattle
Re: Could I microwave a syringe of water w/o it melting? [Re: ButterNut]
    #2693257 - 05/17/04 10:31 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I 2nd all that :thumbup:

--------------------
"It tastes like burning"-Ralph Wiggum

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2693274 - 05/17/04 10:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Here is a suggestion,though I havent had the occasion to try it myself,I just was thinking of a way that you could get sterile water easily and reliably.

First of all to answer the syringe microwave question..Yes you can nuke it ,just fill it with about a cc of water and pull the plunger all the way back. Place it into the microwave for a few minutes(may have to experiment for different microwaves). The cc of water will steam and should effectively sterilize the inside of your syringe.

Now comes the part I havent tried ,but it makes total sense to me and I wouldnt hesitate to do it this way myself,if I had the need to.

Get yourself a bottle of distilled water.

Get a tube of silicone from hardware store or autoparts store or wherever..

Put a nice little dime sized blob of silicone onto the outside of the unopened bottle of water.(alcohol swab the spot first if you want)

When the silicone dries you should have a nice spot to stick the syringe into and extract some clean water. (flame the needle first)
....Due to the sealed container of water you may have to hold the plunger back as you withdraw it as I think it may try to suck back into the bottle.) or you can squeeze the bottle to stop this also.
The silicone should self heal and prevent the bottle from sucking in any contamed air to make up for the volume that you have extracted.

***You could replace the volume when you are done by using the same syringe and just filling it with sterile air from sucking it in while the tip is in a flame. Then just inject the sterile air back into the water bottle to replace the volume of water you removed with air and thus keeping the bottle from trying to equalize.

Hope this isnt too elaborate. It really would be quite simple to do actually. I hope it helps you out!

Good Luck
MYKEY

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2693275 - 05/17/04 10:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Elfmachine said:
Oh...and could I microwave a syringe w/o it melting?

A friend of mine sterilizes his this way, I pressure cook mine. If he can do it, I would imagine you could as well (provided your syringes can take the heat).

As for what you did wrong, I have no idea. Some part of your method was flawed. When I make syringes I use a half pint jar with a little poly-fill wad in the lid. I pressure cook the water and suck it into the syringe without actually ever exposing the water to open air. Then I make up the spore solution in my glovebox (flowhood blows spores everywhere, except into my shot glass).

The bags could have been contaminated before you injected water, or you introduced it. There really is no way to know...

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
Re: Could I microwave a syringe of water w/o it melting? [Re: ATWAR]
    #2698040 - 05/18/04 08:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

True, the bags might have been contaminated b4, it's very possible.  I really thought that heat would be enough.  A friend of mine suggested that to me, he did it pretty much the same and had no problems, maybe for him the bags were more colonized or more resistant to contamination.  I really doubt I'd ever have to inject water again (b4 100% col.)but...it's possible.

Also thanx for the tek (though it's really not too different from what I did. I did "flush out" the syringe w/ the water a couple times b4 I took in the water the last time.  All I did different was microwave it al well and...that water gets pretty damn hot in the microwave!) I like what MyKey wrote, that's probably what I'd do next time.  sigh  :frown:

--------------------
check out www.island.org Started by Bruce Eisner, it's an organization trying to make Island by Aldous Huxley a reality.

Edited by Elfmachine (05/18/04 08:28 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation