Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Shroomery University

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDarwin23
INFJ
Male

Loc: United States Flag
Myers-Briggs Personality Typing
    #26547618 - 03/20/20 09:55 PM (5 months, 27 days ago)

PART I - THE SYSTEM
INTRO
THE FOUR LETTERS - PREFERENCES
FUNCTIONS
INTROVERTED FEELING & EXTROVERTED FEELING
EXTROVERTED THINKING & INTROVERTED THINKING
INTROVERTED SENSING & EXTROVERTED SENSING
EXTROVERTED INTUITION & INTROVERTED INTUITION
FUNCTIONAL STACKS

PART II - A DEEPER LOOK

FUNCTION NAMES & ROLES
THE FOUR TYPES OF EACH TYPE
THE LOWER FUNCTIONS

PART I - THE SYSTEM

Intro
If you're unfamiliar, Myers-Briggs personality typing or MBTI is a very popular system that seeks to categorize the different types of personalities that exist in this world. You may see people listing 4 letters about themselves like INFJ and that is an MBTI result. If you want to take the test (Click Here).

Personality testing can give a lot of insight into people that are otherwise murky. Consistently, MBTI has been proven to be incredibly accurate and has withstood the test of time. It remains the most common personality test around. If you find yourself skeptical or even annoyed by the idea that the test could really label people accurately, you're almost certainly an ENFP, ESFP, INFP, ISFP, ISTJ or INTJ. I know that because introverted feeling (Fi) makes people feel unique and their feelings special. If you're still interested, MBTI is very complex and few places offer real guides on how to understand, decode and interpret it. I am extremely familiar with the system and have even made quite a few proposed changes to leading figures in the community. I'd like to share it with you so that you can use it yourself. I know this is a LOT of info, so don't feel bad if you have to revisit it. Consider this a study guide more than a single essay.

The Four Letters -  Preferences
Now that you've taken the test. Let's discuss what those 4 letters mean. Those four letters represent four either/or preferences. There are 8 possible preferences in total. The first letter is either an I (introverted) or E (extroverted). This preference is a bit self-explanatory but is very misrepresented in society so I'd like to talk about it.

This preference only really looks at where someone draws their energy from. While introverts may be represented as people who don't like other people, that's not accurate. It may be true in some introverts but it's not an introvert trait. Extroverts, on the other hand, may be presented as shallow or dumb. This, too, is untrue. Extroverts just prefer to draw their energy from other people. It's nothing more and nothing less.

The second preference is a bit more complex. The two possibilities are S (sensing) and N (intuitive). This is far and away the largest preference gap. A good way to understand this preference is to think of it as how people go about taking in and organizing information. S-types make up a big majority of the population (around 75%) and for good reason. Sensing-types are very grounded, learn quickly from mistakes and respond quickly to changes in the environment. By contrast, N-types formulate the ideas in their heads. This may make them spacey or aloof and slower to respond to changes in the environment. Sensing gives a big advantage in survival but it is interesting to note that the higher the Intuition in the functional stacks (we'll discuss a little later), the more likely those people are to change history. N-types make up a much smaller portion of the population but a great majority of great historical figures.

The next preference is between T (thinking) and F (feeling). This, again, is rather self-explanatory. I would like to note, however, that neither type is smarter than the other. People often mistakenly think that T-types have some advantage in thinking. This isn't so. The only preference intelligence does track with is intuition. T-types tend to make decisions and judgements through logical or rational thought while F-types are more driven by subjective emotions.

Finally, the last preference is between J (judging) and P (perceiving). This preference can best be understood as how we interact with the world and ideas. J-types tend to be pushy, passionate and strong-willed. By contrast, P-types are typically less likely to push ideas. Now, this doesn't mean that P-types don't have strong opinions and aren't judgemental, rather, they're less likely to push those ideas or engage in conflict.

Functions
Now, I hope that gives you more insight into your personality test results but we've only scratched the surface. The preferences are simply placeholders to name the personality types. Where the information gets really deep and interesting is in the functions. There are four functions (Thinking, Feeling, Sensing and Intuition) and each of these functions can be introverted or extroverted. Every type has a functional stack of four of the eight possible functions. The first three are the most important with the fourth developing later in life and largely being a fallback trait. We'll figure out how to make them, but first let's discuss the functions.

Functions are divided into judging and perceiving and this helps us to understand how to build functional stacks. Instead of giving you the simple system, let's just jump into it. The judging functions are Fe (extroverted feeling), Te (extroverted thinking), Si (introverted sensing) and Ni (introverted intuition). The perceiving functions are Fi (introverted feeling), Ti (introverted thinking), Se (extroverted sensing) and Ne (extroverted intuition). Why is it this way?

A good way to understand this is to visualize the functions. Feeling and thinking are action traits. Those with extroverted feeling and thinking take from within and put outwards. This makes them judging traits because the person is putting things outwards. Sensing and intuition are information intakes, they come from the outside world into the person. Those with Ne or Se are taking in a lot of information into themselves which is more closely aligned with judging. It'll make more sense later but it's vital to understanding how stacks are made.

Introverted Feeling (Fi) & Extroverted Feeling (Fe)
Feeling, as mentioned earlier is an action trait. The introverted and extroverted forms are quite different. Introverted feeling tends to be strongly judgmental (in a traditional sense of the word) and creates a very strong value system. Fi-users tend to have very strong and very complex emotions. F-types will generally relate to this statement but it's not the same. To contrast, an Fe-user can feel good about helping in a hospital even though that Fe-user is surrounded by the suffering of others. Fi-users, while they will feel good about this, the sheer amount of misery and hopelessness around them will hurt them so viscerally that they typically can't bear it. Fi-users are more empathetic (when the Fi is in the first or second slot of the functional stack) but far less willing to put themselves in situations where empathy is required.

Fi also has a secondary function of asking "why?". Fi-users, especially in INFP's and ISFP's (stacks Fi, Ne, Si, Te and Fi, Se, Ni, Te) tend to be brooding, mysterious and highly focused on understanding themselves. Fi-users will also tend to be unforgiving if you've wronged them. If you cross their value system or personally hurt them, they're not likely to brush it under the rug for the sake of harmony. That brings us to the extroverted feelers.

Extroverted Feeling is focused on empathizing and creating harmony. Fe-users feel the environment more than their own feelings and because of this, Fe-users seek to help others because it helps them. If the environment feels bad, they feel bad. Also, in contrast to the Fi-users, Fe-users make their decisions based on what is good for the people around them. While Fi-users may have strong personal value judgements about who is good and bad, Fe-users generally make this judgement based on who hurts/helps the most people. It's far less personal. Fe-users are generally fairly easy to work with due to the fact that their concern is the emotions of others.

Extroverted Thinking (Te) & Introverted Thinking (Ti)
Like with the feeling splits, the thinking splits make a huge difference, but in this case it's even more pronounced. Extroverted thinking (Te) is sometimes called rationale while introverted thinking (Ti) is often called logic. Te both takes in and puts out. Extroverted thinking uses the ideas of others and then expands upon and perfects these idea. Introverted thinking takes large swaths of data to create ideas. In a way, Te-users are reliant on Ti-users. Of course, because Te-users take large shortcuts by studying theories instead of data, they tend to learn faster. For this reason, Te-users tend to be known in history for advancing theories while Ti-users are known for inventing them or upending the entire bulk of public knowledge.

Te-users tend to accept outside theories easier and also tend to accept rules and social structures. For this reason, Te-users tend to be more successful and status-seeking. Te-users will seek to become doctors and well-respected individuals and they achieve this through institutions like higher education. Te-users and Ti-users may frequently butt heads because of Te-user's tendency to trust in authority. Ti-users will cross-reference what the authority figures are saying. If it doesn't mesh, they'll disagree with the authority figures.

Introverted thinking, like introverted feeling focuses on big questions. INTP's (Ti, Ne, Si, Fe) focus heavily on asking what the world/universe is, what reality is and other big questions. A good way to understand Ti is Einstein. His theory of general relativity contradicted the predominant thought of the time. Only Ti-users are inclined to do this as the Te-users who focus on the public and accepted knowledge tend to work within the prevailing framework. This generally benefits Te-users because the prevailing frameworks are typically correct. Every once in a while, though, a Ti-user will show up to prove everything wrong.

Introverted Sensing and Extroverted Sensing
We touched on sensing a bit earlier. Sensing tackles taking in information. Introverted sensing offers the highest levels of survivability and thus, is very common in the top half of the functional stack. Introverted sensing is a more internal process than extroverted sensing. Si draws from past experience, traditions and internal feelings. For this reason, Si-users tend to be more traditional and more down-to-Earth and Se-users. Very strong Si-users can even vividly remember pain and tastes. This can make them likely to fantasize about food or past experiences. They may also be likely to find something and settle on it. In addition to all of this, Si-users tend to have fantastic recall abilities. This is to say, they can tell you where everything was placed and may notice small changes in the environment.

Se-users are the in-the-moment and edge-of-your-seat kind of people. Their extroverted sensing drives them to seek out experience and especially physical experience. When Se is a strong trait, they may tend to be adrenaline-junkies. Alternatively, they can be very in-tune with trends and fads. They may have inventive and interesting or edgy senses of style. They may also tend towards parties, sex and drugs as their desire for physical real experience can be very strong. While Si's down-to-Earth traits and desire for tradition may make Si-users very reliable, Se-users may tend to overextend themselves and are generally less reliable. Various factors play into this and Fi can tend to compensate.

Extroverted Intuition and Introverted Intuition
Finally, we get to the trait that tends to confuse, intuition. A 4 trait comparison I like to use goes like this:
A different type burns their hand on the stove and then encounters the stove again
Si-user: The stove burns my hand and now I am afraid to touch it.
Se-user: Let me touch the stove and just make sure it burns me. I think it burns me.
Ne-user: The stove burns my hand, could it burn other things? Could other things burn me? Could it light a fire?
Ni-user: The stove burns my hand, but why? What makes it burn my hand? Does it burn more when my hand is held longer? Will the burning subside?

Basically, intuition recreates the environment in one's own mind. In the case of extroverted intuition, the Ne-user takes in large amounts of information. Rather than condensing this information, they extrapolate it. Ne-users predict all possible outcomes. For this reason, Ne-users can sometime seem to predict the future. It also makes them incredibly creative. They also have an innate ability to recognize patterns. Because they're constantly projecting streams of events and outcomes, they learn to recognize what causes what. The big downside to Ne is that it tends to create a lot of anxiety because the users see all possible outcomes. Because it extrapolates, Ne-users may also tend to ramble on without ever making a clear point. They're always thinking of the next step, not the finality. A great majority of famous historical creatives are Ne-users.

By contrast, many of those who made huge impacts on the world for evil or for good tend to be Ni-users. Like Ne-users, Ni-users take in large amounts of data from the outside world. Unlike Ne-users, though, Ni-users condense this information into manageable ideas and theories. I am an Ni-user and part of the reason that I write so many of these essays and how to guides is that it actually helps me to solidify ideas and information in my own mind. Because Ni-users condense information into usable packages, they tend to be very solution-oriented and passionate about ideas (hence Ni-dominates being judging types). A vast majority of people that put major changes to the world are Ni-users.

Functional Stacks
You now know a fair about about each oriented function so let's dive into functional stacks. As we've mentioned, each functional stack has 4 functions. There are a few rules to decoding the functional stack from the type's four preferences. If you don't feel like learning this, don't worry, I'll provide the stacks for each type below. The most logical place to start is at introverted/extroverted (IXXX or EXXX). Whatever that first letter is will determine the orientation of the first function.

We know that Ni, Si, Fe and Te are judging functions. You might guess (and you'd be right) that we can determine the first function by looking at the J/P. So, for an ISTJ, we know the person is an introverted judging type. That narrows it down to Si or Ni as the first trait, and of course, we'll start the ISTJ with Si as his dominate function. What if the person is ESFJ, though? Can you figure it out? That's right! ESFJ starts off with Fe or extroverted feeling. Now, what about P-types? They'll start off with Ne, Se, Fi or Ti. And again, if we follow the same pattern, ISFP will start off with Fi and ESFP will start off with Se.

Now, the easy part is that the functional stacks just switch orientation every time. The next rules is that the first two will ALWAYS be one S/N and one T/F. The last part relies again on the extroversion vs. introversion. Next, if someone has Se then they must have Ni somewhere. It's the same like if someone has Te they must have Fi somewhere. This tells us the final two but not the order. Finally, extroverts will always have two extroverted functions in their top three and introverts will always have two introverted functions in their top three. It is interesting to note here, this layout means that EXXP types have two judging functions in their top three and EXXJ types have two perceiving functions in their top three. So with all of this down, let's walk through an example with the ESTJ.

First, the first trait must be extroverted and a judging function. Since Te is judging and Se is perceiving. We know number one is Te.
Second, the next trait must be introverted and S/N. Since ESTJ is an S-type, we have Si.
Third, since the ESTJ is extroverted, the third trait must be extroverted. Since they already have Te and Si, their other extroverted trait must be Ne. Since they need two extroverted traits up top, their third function must be Ne.
Lastly, we know that their final trait must be Fi and so we can determine their functional stack:
ESTJ = Si, Te, Ne, Fi

You can do them yourself or simply look at the complete list here:
ISTJ Si.Te.Fi.Ne
ISFJ Si.Fe.Ti.Ne
ESTJ Te.Si.Ne.Fi
ESFJ Fe.Si.Ne.Ti
ESFP Se.Fi.Te.Ni
ESTP Se.Ti.Fe.Ni
ISFP Fi.Se.Ni.Te
ISTP Ti.Se.Ni.Fe
INTJ Ni.Te.Fi.Se
INFJ Ni.Fe.Ti.Se
ENTJ Te.Ni.Se.Fi
ENFJ Fe.Ni.Se.Ti
ENTP Ne.Ti.Fe.Si
ENFP Ne.Fi.Te.Si
INFP Fi.Ne.Si.Te
INTP Ti.Ne.Si.Fe

PART II - A DEEPER LOOK

Function Names & Roles
The functional stack positions have names. The tradition names are dominate, secondary, tertiary and inferior. While these give insight into the powers of each function, they don't much explain the roles. An alternative system is hero, parent, child and inferior. This gives a lot more insight into how we use each function.

The child function is actually the first function we develop although it isn't the strongest. This function is sometimes described as who we are at our core and we are very sensitive to it. In INFJ's, for example, the child function is Ti. While INFJ's have a stronger Ni and Fe function, they're incredibly sensitive to criticism of their ideas.

The parent functions serves to direct all others. While the ISTJ has a stronger Si in its hero position, the parent Te directs all other functions. As a result, ISTJ's are very driven to obtaining status and recognition (remember: Te's secondary function is obtaining status through institutions.).

The hero function is our strongest function and is used to achieve our parent function's direction. This can be better understood by comparing ENFJ (Fe.Ni.Se.Ti) and INFJ (Ni.Fe.Ti.Se). Although they have the same functions, the orders play a big difference. Ni serves to condense information for a single-minded purpose. Because INFJ's use hero Ni and parent Fe, they typically condense information (Ni) to help make things better for others (Fe). By contrast, ENFJ's have a parent Ni and a parent Fe. In their case, they use people and networks (Fe) to achieve a single-minded purpose (Ni). This difference is extremely pronounced when looking at lists of (assumed) INFJ's and ENFJ's. INFJ's (Hitler, Ghandi, Christ, Bin Laden) focus on changing the world with their singular ideas. Famous ENFJ's (Oprah, Obama) focus on bringing the world together for a singular goal (sometimes selfish sometimes not).

Finally, the inferior function is our weakest. It tends not to develop until we're older (usually between the late 20's and as late as the 50's.) It's the reason people have mid-life crises. It only exerts weaker influences on us before we're matured. It's most noticeable function is that it is where people tend to go when they hide or are extremely stressed. For INTJ's who tend to be uptight and driven in youth, their inferior Se means they may automatically go to unhealthy coping mechanisms like sex, drugs or alcohol to manage.

The Four Types of Each Type
This information is theoretical but it's widely accepted and fits the types very well. In this theory, we have four personas, each a different type. Each is accessed by a different means. The first one to understand is the shadow self. To find the type for this, we simply invert the orientations of the original type. To use an example:

INTP's have the stack: Ti.Ne.Si.Fe. Inverting those we get the INTP's shadow self.
INTP shadow self is ENTJ Te.Ni.Se.Fi

On the chart, this is laid out below the original type. To the right of the original type we have the subconscious. This self is the original functional stack flipped upside down. So let's continue.

INTP: Ti.Ne.Si.Fe
INTP SS: Te.Ni.Se.Fi - ENTJ
INTP Sc: Fe.Si.Ne.Ti - ESFJ

The subconscious is typically brought out when the type relaxes. When the normally aloof and quiet INTP is very calm he may shift into the fun-loving master-of-ceremonies the ESFJ. The final persona we look at is the parasite persona. The parasite persona is in the bottom right corner and is the worst state to be in. It is constructed by flipping the the original stack upside down and inverting it. So let's finish:

INTP: Ti.Ne.Si.Fe
INTP SS: Te.Ni.Se.Fi - ENTJ
INTP Sc: Fe.Si.Ne.Ti - ESFJ
INTP PP: Fi.Se.Ni.Te - ISFP

The parasite persona is essentially only triggered by extreme stress and looks similar to an unhealthy defense mechanism. It runs completely contrary to the original type and you don't really want to be in this space. It's specifically triggered by irritation to the demon function but to understanding that, we'll have to explore a little more.

The Lower Functions
Again, this is theoretical but widely accepted so let's dive in. The lower functions simply refer to the functions of the shadow self. As I mentioned, the shape of the 4 persona set up has the shadow self directly below the original type. This effectively allows for a stack of eight with the four lower functions now having descriptive names as well. The entire 8-function set up is as follows: Hero, parent, child, inferior, trickster, criticism, blindspot and demon. Let's look at what they mean.

To explore better let's use an example. The ISFJ has an 8-function stack like this:
Hero: Si
Parent: Fe
Child: Ti
Inferior: Ne
Trickster: Se
Criticism: Fi
Blindspot: Te
Demon: Ni

The first four play the roles we've already discussed. Inferior triggers the person to shift down into the shadow self as the inferior acts as an insecurity. In this case, the creative Ne is the ISFJ's inferior function and so a situation in which the ISFJ must predict the outcome or be creative may push the ISFJ into her shadow self. The trickster function plays a similar role and so situations in which the ISFJ needs to be fun or spontaneous may also trigger the same response.

Next, we have the criticism function. The criticism is exactly what it says. It is the function that the type criticizes in his or herself. For ISFJ's their criticism is Fi. This means that ISFJ's feel as though their feelings are bad and they're just not good people all around. Because of the criticism's opposite place as the parent function, the parent function can be seen as compensating for the criticism.

The blindspot is quite interesting as it shows the function that a type most lacks or ignores. In the case of ISFJ's this blindspot is Te. What we can ascertain from this is that ISFJ's tend to dismiss the ideas of others and don't often seek out status. (The fact that the most famous ISFJ is Morther Teresa might make this abundantly clear).

Finally, the demon function serves to allow access into the parasite persona. The demon function is where a type hates to go and generally tries to ignore. For ISFJ's the demon function is Ni. Introverted intuition serves to condense ideas and pick a path forward. While ISFJ's tend to be very decisive, this is based on past experience and traditions and institutions. What we can figure is that the ISFJ really struggles to make, plan and achieve their own individual path without a guide already existing.

--------------------

Take a look at my journal

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIce9
Benzo Enthusiast
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: daterapeville,USA
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing [Re: Darwin23]
    #26925487 - 09/09/20 12:19 AM (10 days, 17 hours ago)

Research has since found that upwards of 50% of people got a different score when they re-took the MBTI just five weeks later. Studies have also shown that the test is not effective at predicting people’s success in different jobs.

source https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/06/myers-briggs-type-indicator-does-not-matter/3635592002/

--------------------
Regarding Benzodiaepines: "They are a recreational drug, and being one doesn't exclude it's potential as a medicine." Yukon Cornelius

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing [Re: Ice9]
    #26925810 - 09/09/20 08:34 AM (10 days, 8 hours ago)

:whathesaid:
It was a cash crop to sell to clueless upper management looking for new corporate buzzword ways to hire great talent!

--------------------
police violence is no accident
ACAB
There's two kinds of people. Those who have had a bad interaction with cops and those who haven't got their turn

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26925852 - 09/09/20 09:07 AM (10 days, 8 hours ago)

It's flawed, and not much of a predicter of anything, but I got ISTP the three times I took it, all about ten years apart.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing [Re: Brian Jones]
    #26929308 - 09/11/20 04:10 AM (8 days, 13 hours ago)

I think it's a useful tool for reflection. And as far as I can tell,that's it's main intended purpose and not so much as a diagnostic tool with 100% accuracy. I'd say get out of it what you can use.

As to the corporate/buzzword hypothesis: I don't think this was developed with that purpose in mind, although it can certainly be used in HR contexts. Other systems are quite prevalent there as well such as Insights. Can be very useful indeed in my experience when used wisely.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing [Re: koraks]
    #26929371 - 09/11/20 05:54 AM (8 days, 11 hours ago)

Neither of the two ladies were psychologists. They were into "psychometrics"
One of the ladies worked for Edward N. Hay and he taught her everything she needed to know to design the test.
So maybe corporate hypothesis is stretched because it was the start of mega corporatism when the test first came out.

The consultation firm the "Hay group" named after Edward Hay is now owned by this
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korn_Ferry#Acquisitions

Wonder if the test was made for business interests more than raw interest in the subject. My guess absolutely.

--------------------
police violence is no accident
ACAB
There's two kinds of people. Those who have had a bad interaction with cops and those who haven't got their turn

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

General Interest >> Shroomery University

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman
273 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Print Topic ]
Search this thread:
Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2020 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.