Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Popcorn vs. WBS and Increasing Speed of Myc Growth
    #2691984 - 05/17/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'm waiting on some popcorn to fully colonize and it seems to be taking quite a while (5.5 weeks now, though some of that was with low 80's temps) considering I've done everything like tub-in-tub incubator, shaking, and a hole filled with polyfill at top. I really would like faster incubation times, so I think I'm going to do WBS next time--have growers of these two substrates noticed a significant difference?.

What are all the factors that go into increasing mycellium growth in jars? (is there a link to a list?)

I've got:

1) Temperature in mid 80's
2) Using grains instead of BRF--Other substrates even faster?
3) Gas exchange at top using polyfill stuffed hole or polyfill lid or loosening jar lids
4) Shaking before and after innoculation, with 10% colonized and with 50% colonized
5) Some faster strains like Ecuador
6) Using more spore solution (?) <--how much does this factor in?

What others are there and what are the best choices of these factors to increase speed of myc growth?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineempath
I feel you

Loc: Seattle
Re: Popcorn vs. WBS and Increasing Myc Growth [Re: Tao]
    #2692015 - 05/17/04 03:34 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Jar size, naturally 1/2 pts go faster

more spore solution

using a sweeping motion instead of just one point

karo solution, since spores have already germinated

--------------------
"It tastes like burning"-Ralph Wiggum

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: Popcorn vs. WBS and Increasing Myc Growth [Re: empath]
    #2692051 - 05/17/04 03:41 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I switched to 1/2 pints to try to increase speed which I think worked a bit (impossible to be sure as other factors changed as well)

Is there any consensus on spore solution? The PF said as little as 0.5 cc for a 1/2 pint is fine. I think that may be stretching it too much, do other people find that?

When you say to use a 'sweeping motion' do you mean when youre injecting the jar with the syringe? I haven't done that at all, I'll try that next time.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Popcorn vs. WBS and Increasing Speed of Myc Growth [Re: Tao]
    #2692153 - 05/17/04 04:12 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

All I know is this. These jars were shot up on the 3rd, pic was taken on the 10th Rye

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: Popcorn vs. WBS and Increasing Speed of Myc Growth [Re: Magash]
    #2692160 - 05/17/04 04:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Goddamn Magash, thats amazing.

Anything you think you do different during innoc and/or incubation?

InvisibleJopo
Super RocketMr.MagicMushroom Man
Loc: Canada
    #2692660 - 05/17/04 06:27 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I would also like to know how the cultivation of your jars is supreme?

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#2693686 - 05/17/04 09:57 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think he means this

Offlinekillabeez
flashy guy

#2693815 - 05/17/04 10:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

you should make sure the popcorn has dried for at least 1 hour. some instructions say only 30 minutes but I've had 1 quart jars of popcorn colonize in 1.5 weeks. if it's been 5 weeks you did something wrong because popcorn is fast. so is rye. you just have to get the moisture levels just right, that has a whole lot to do with how fast it colonizes.

Presure cook the popcorn in spring water for 45 minutes then let it dry in a collander for about 1 to 1.5 hours or until it stops steaming. That's the trick is letting the popcorn dry so you have the perfect water amount.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Popcorn vs. WBS and Increasing Speed of Myc Growth [Re: killabeez]
    #2693854 - 05/17/04 10:25 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

If you wait till its not steaming it is probably way to wet still..
I guage it by how much moisture is on my hand before loading it into my jars....I have done a shitload of corn so you get a feel of the moisture content after awhile...You can put verm in the jar before loading also ....perlite also will sopp up excess moisture

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineTransplant
Janitor
Loc: Texas
    #2693902 - 05/17/04 10:32 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Give more details on what you did.. Your prior posts show that I should take you serious about the time frame. Maybe it is normal for rye, but I have been using WBS for so long I never considered anything else until you posted that you started on the 3rd and the pictures taken on the 10th? Did you use spores or a g2g or karo, to spead things up? What temp? Ratio of rye to water (Soak time if any?), etc.

--------------------
Will Screw For Shrooms

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #2694981 - 05/18/04 04:11 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

you started on the 3rd and the pictures taken on the 10th? Did you use spores or a g2g or karo, to spead things up? What temp? Ratio of rye to water (Soak time if any?), etc.

YES ..PLEASE

:stoned:

Spores????? karo, g2g????

is the incubator a wet or dry one??????

I do see ONE thing that I know speeds growth, BIG HOLES in the lid.

I just dont do that because I use a heat pad and I am afriad of my water drying up to fast so I use small holes.

Let me guess....Karo!, BIG HOLES, and a WET incubator.

Is that what you did???

because spores take 3 days 2 germinate , so I assume you didnt use them, but with big holes and a wet incubator I could belive you got that in 7 days.

DAMN! man WOW :stoned: :mushroom2: :heart: :thumbup: :thumbup: :grin: :mushroom2: :heart: :thumbup: :shocked: :cool:

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2695037 - 05/18/04 05:07 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Magash's Rye tek is awesome people!I'm doing his tek with wbs and my jars are colonizing within 7-10(quarts too!).I think it has something to do with the simmer time,because I tried 4 quarts of wild bird seed and I didnt simmer them,and I tried 5 quarts that I did simmer.Now the ones I did simmer have been fruiting on their first flush!they were innoculated on the 27th of april!The ones that I didnt simmer are just now(as of this morning)100% colonized,and they were innoculated on the 28th.
Everything else was the same in my procedures except the simmer,and from my experience it makes a big damn difference in colonization times!

my 2 pennies

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Popcorn vs. WBS and Increasing Speed of Myc Growth [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2695688 - 05/18/04 11:28 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, here we go.  :thumbup:

Spores????? karo, g2g????    Spores 

is the incubator a wet or dry one??????  What? wet or dry? Well it's a tub in tub. 

I do see ONE thing that I know speeds growth, BIG HOLES in the lid.  No bigger then ususl. 3/8 of an inch or just big enough to get a cable wire threw.   

I just dont do that because I use a heat pad and I am afriad of my water drying up to fast so I use small holes.  Yeah, I hear ya, I hate heat pads. 

Let me guess....Karo!, BIG HOLES, and a WET incubator.  Nope, nope, and a yes I think 

because spores take 3 days 2 germinate , so I assume you didnt use them, but with big holes and a wet incubator I could belive you got that in 7 days.  Take 3 days to germ, where did you hear that crap? Any jars taking longer then 9 days to finish from spore (both mine and Ralphs, don't waste time with others), are chucked. 

The simmer adding the perfect water levels to the grain is where the speed up happens. This is exacty what I do.    Rye

Invisiblealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
    #2700489 - 05/19/04 09:36 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

IMHO if you give most grains a good rinse and get rid of most of the sludge/starches they seem to colonize way faster it does however get rid of some of the nutes but if you intend to spawn to poo or straw this is not such a big deal and makes your jars way more shakeable
this works really well for finch seed in particular

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale