Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group * 6
    #26638594 - 04/30/20 09:11 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

A new paper just came out on the Gymnopilus junonius group in North America, focusing on the northeastern species.  It's very good, and goes a long way towards answering several pressing questions that have been open for a long time.  It's conclusions are supported by high quality microscopy and ITS+LSU DNA sequences.

One striking finding is that Gymnopilus junonius does not occur in North America, and is not psychoactive.  It occurs in Europe, Australia and South America, solving the mystery of why European big laughing gyms consistently fail to cause laughter.

The mushrooms we have been calling Gymnopilus junonius in eastern North America fall into four species - the previously described Gymnopilus subspectabilis and G. luteus, and the newly named Gymnopilus voitkii and Gymnopilus speciosissimus.  Only G. speciosissimus is mentioned as staining green in the paper, but some or all of the others definitely also contain psilocybin.  The species can be difficult to tell apart macroscopically, but are easy to separate with a microscope or via DNA sequencing.

Gymnopilus luteus was the first North American species in this group to be named, described from New York in 1898.  The easiest way to separate it from the others is the presence  of a strong anise odor in the gills, large size, light yellow color and its habit of fruiting in small clusters or solitary on hardwood.  It stains green and is relatively potent, for a Gymnopilus. 

The next North American member of the Gymnopilus junonius complex to be named is Gymnopilus subspectabilis, described from Michigan in 1969.  It is much smaller than G. luteus but otherwise macroscopically similar and also fruits on hardwoods.  It has a strong mushroom odor, but not of anise.

Gymnopilus voitkii is described from New Brunswick, growing at the base of Abies balsamea.  It is named after Dr. Andrus Voitk, who studies mushrooms in Labrador and Newfoundland, where this species is common.  This species differs from the others by it's growth on conifer wood and is very large and very orange in color with a well defined annulus.

Gymnopilus speciosissimus is also described here, from a collection from Montreal, Quebec.  It's name is Latin for “the most splendid or remarkable”.  It is differentiated from other large Gymnopilus species by its robust fruiting bodies growing in cespitose clusters on hardwood, a brownish red cap contrasting with an off-white stipe, occasionally with a bluish-green zone below the ring.  It is the largest eastern North American Gymnopilus, with a cap up to 35 cm across, stem up to 35 cm long and can be up to 7 cm wide.

Gymnopilus ventricosus is also mentioned, and is a very large western US species which lacks green staining and psychoactive effects.  One of the DNA sequences used in their phylogentic tree was generated at the DNA sequencing workshop I taught in Seattle.

Gymnopilus orientispectabilis is also named here, a large, hallucinogenic species from Japan.

Two big questions this paper does not answer are which of these species are hallucinogenic, and how the other species of Gymnopilus fit in with the G. junonius group.  If you have collections of Gymnopilus which have been eaten and either do or fail to produce effects, it would be a good idea to study the microscopy and/or DNA sequences to further the state of knowledge about these taxa.  The squamulose, red capped Gymnopilus are also particularly interesting for their beautiful coloration and green staining, and are not mentioned here.

https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/cjb-2020-0006

Full text:  https://sci-hub.tw/https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/cjb-2020-0006

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineoculodextro
Male
Loc: Space is the Place
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #26638610 - 04/30/20 09:19 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Gymnopilus ventricosus is also mentioned, and is a very large western US species which lacks green staining and psychoactive effects.  One of the DNA sequences used in their phylogentic tree was generated at the DNA sequencing workshop I taught in Seattle.

Are these found in the rocky mountains by any chance?

OfflineMoria841
Male

Loc: NJ Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: oculodextro]
    #26638708 - 04/30/20 10:26 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Finally!! :mushroom2::mushroom2: Thank you for sharing Alan

--------------------

Moria's Gymnopilus Guide

InvisibleSpacetuna
Skipper

Loc: Coastal
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: Moria841]
    #26638722 - 04/30/20 10:36 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

This is neat seems I find at least two varieties where I’m at and both are active cool info.

--------------------

OfflineMoria841
Male

Loc: NJ Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: Spacetuna]
    #26638727 - 04/30/20 10:40 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I presume the ones I keep finding are G. luteus, though they always stain remarkably blue/green and the annulus is not so robust

--------------------

Moria's Gymnopilus Guide

Edited by Moria841 (04/30/20 10:42 AM)

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: Moria841]
    #26638803 - 04/30/20 11:26 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Moria841 said:
Finally!! :mushroom2::mushroom2: Thank you for sharing Alan

I concur! :smile:

--------------------

Offlinebloodycarcass
Stranger Danger
Male

Loc: the sticks in GA
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: Anglerfish]
    #26638809 - 04/30/20 11:29 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

So the ones I'm finding on pine would be Gymnopilus voitkii?

--------------------
Back at it like a crack addict, with asthmatic lung disease

OfflineFSHuntings
Half Man Half Amazing

Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: bloodycarcass]
    #26638861 - 04/30/20 11:50 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Sweet read! Thanks Alan

OfflineHSapiensAmericanus
Stranger
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: oculodextro] * 1
    #26638874 - 04/30/20 11:57 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

oculodextro said:
Quote:

Are these found in the rocky mountains by any chance?

Likely, probably pretty uncommon though. Closest observation I found to the western slopes of the Rockies is central Idaho.

I was at that sequencing workshop. Really fascinating stuff. I wish I had brought a more interesting specimen...

Offlineamilibertine
It’s good to be back!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northern South Midwest
Trusted Identifier
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: HSapiensAmericanus]
    #26639235 - 04/30/20 02:52 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Very cool Alan. Thanks for always keeping us up to date with the latest taxonomy research!

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineSporespreder
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26913095 - 09/02/20 02:53 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Good read, I have non active specimens from what I believed to be spectabilis/junonious but maybe is volki, it is more orange also smells like apple cinnamon like luteus, is a little bigger and not active...northeast us

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: Sporespreder]
    #26913869 - 09/02/20 02:37 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Sporespreder said:
Good read, I have non active specimens from what I believed to be spectabilis/junonious but maybe is volki, it is more orange also smells like apple cinnamon like luteus, is a little bigger and not active...northeast us

This could be Gymnopilus sapineus, there's debate whether or not they are active.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: Doc9151]
    #26914230 - 09/02/20 06:11 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Sporespreder said:

All cool, could you send me some for analysis?  I am trying to figure out which species are the active ones.

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
This could be Gymnopilus sapineus, there's debate whether or not they are active.

What I call Gymnopilus sapineus is a much smaller species.

OfflineSporespreder
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26914511 - 09/02/20 08:16 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Sure...message me... not sure how everything works cus I’m new to the group...

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: Sporespreder]
    #26914559 - 09/02/20 08:58 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting read. Always thought the gyms here were different.

--------------------

You never kno

Offlineteebeekid
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: Shroomhunts]
    #26916120 - 09/03/20 06:03 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

very interesting as I just found my first patch of G. Luteus last week while searching for P. Caerulipes

Upstate NY (ADK)- mixed hardwood conifer forest- near a brook
I didn't take any, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for more..All same patch different days....

--------------------

Edited by teebeekid (09/03/20 06:08 PM)

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: teebeekid]
    #26916433 - 09/03/20 09:06 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

You should pic em they are at prime ripeness

--------------------

You never kno

OfflineSporespreder
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: teebeekid]
    #26916724 - 09/04/20 02:40 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

On Tilia Americana near creeks... in washout areas...have you found caerulipes? Nice find!!

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: Sporespreder] * 1
    #26916776 - 09/04/20 04:41 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Sporespreder said:
On Tilia Americana near creeks... in washout areas...have you found caerulipes? Nice find!!

Read this:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=3&Number=26154772&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

edit: If you are willing to help with research, you should collect, dry and send several specimens for study to Alan or Myself.  Any collections I receive will be added to my herbarium and/or sent to Alan Rockefeller for further study. I'm working on getting my own sequencing equipment, but I'm paying for everything so it will be several months to maybe a year before I can reach that goal.

If you know for sure that your collection is an active species, contact Alan Rockefeller, he is trying to straighten out the literature on active vs nonactive Gymnopilus species.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Edited by Doc9151 (09/04/20 04:58 AM)

Offlineteebeekid
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group [Re: Shroomhunts]
    #26917024 - 09/04/20 09:06 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomhunts said:
You should pic em they are at prime ripeness

That patch was from last week, I didn't bring any back with me but come next rain I'll be going back to that same log to check for more.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract