Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejimmynot
Stranger
"off" mushroom consumption (plus a hello)
    #2690876 - 05/17/04 01:10 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

First off, hello to the forum. I'm Jimmynot, from sunny England and i'm new round here. Be nice. More info probably gladly provided on request. Since i'm new to this forum but do post on several others and appreciate that everywhere's different, feel free to point out any points of etiquette i may be missing.

Me and some friends recently ordered a quantity of fresh (undried) Mexican Cubensis to be delivered by post. Trouble is, they got delivered friday when everyone was out, so went to the post office to be collected where, due to British post offices being shut most of the weekend, they have sat, unrefrigerated, until this morning.

They're refrigerated now but we suspect they've not weathered the particularly hot weekend sitting in the post office too well.

Haven't seen them myself but apparently they are now a darkish green in colour (green? [u]can't[/u] be good) with a strong earthy smell and a slight hint of old fruit. Stalks are all pretty much intact but there's been heavy disintegration of the caps and they're all very moist.

All in all i'm pretty certain that our 'shrooms are f**ked. But does anyone think they might be salvageable if we boil them up into tea? I appreciate that some loss of potency may occur but if it's that or throw them away what've we got to lose?

Will boiling kill off any nasties that might be growing and prevent stomach upsets? is it even worth it? probably not but it'd be a shame to lose the lot.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: "off" mushroom consumption (plus a hello) [Re: jimmynot]
    #2690964 - 05/17/04 01:35 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Well, they probably have not spoiled yet, but the green(actually probably blue, looks green tho sometimes) is the goodies oxidizing.

If they where rotting you should be able to tell, they get kind of mushy sitting fresh.

They would be pretty tough to get down fresh just eating them(atleast i think they would). Tea may be the answer or, depending on the legality of it, dry them out to cracker dry and consume them as a powder washing down with a beverage real quick so there is no chewing and what not.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinejimmynot
Stranger
Re: "off" mushroom consumption (plus a hello) [Re: baraka]
    #2691001 - 05/17/04 01:43 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

England, so drying would be illegal and tea would be about the same. However this would not exactly be the first illegal thing i've done and it's not like i was planning to take a pot of tea round to the nearest police station and ask if they fancied a cuppa.

You don't think they've gone off then? what about the heavily earthy smell and disintegration of the caps?

Incidentally I know people who have eaten loads of fresh 'shrooms and are actually quite fond of them so i guess it's down to personal taste. As it goes I don't much like regular mushrooms so i'm thinking tea with a sh*t load of honey or something sweet in it.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2691192 - 05/17/04 02:42 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

the easiest way of finding out if they're still good is by consuming some :wink:

Let us know how it goes, and feel free to ask any other questions you may have on the subject

edit: oh and don't boil them!! If you boil them you will lose the "magic" in the mushrooms. never boil shrooms, from what I understand

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (05/17/04 02:43 PM)

Offlinejimmynot
Stranger
Re: "off" mushroom consumption (plus a hello) [Re: Strumpling]
    #2691211 - 05/17/04 02:49 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Yeah but not if i eat some and they make me evil sick. is this a possibility?

and the boiling thing is not generally true according to Erowid:

http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.cgi?ID=2984

(while i was looking for this article i found one titled "is it safe to give my dog ecstacy? " !!??)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2699531 - 05/19/04 02:24 AM (13 years, 9 days ago)

ok go with me on this one:

I find some mushrooms on my desk. I decide to make mushroom tea. I boil some water, then turn off the flame (so now the water isn't even at boiling temperature; its even lower..). I then put the shrooms into the hot water.

I let them hang out there for about 10-15 minutes (nowhere near an hour) and drink the tea. I trip balls.

Why did I trip? Because the hot water pulled the magic out of the mushrooms.

If I were to eat the mushrooms instead of drink the tea, I would not trip much at all.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinejimmynot
Stranger
Re: "off" mushroom consumption (plus a hello) [Re: Strumpling]
    #2700953 - 05/19/04 01:24 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

OK, I'm with you now Strumpling. Agreed, If you stick them in hot water it'll pull out a lot of the active ingredients. I thought you were implying that the hot water would "kill" the active ingredients by degrading/denaturing/whatever them.

Since i was planning to make tea, let it stew, drink the water and then probably eat the bits of shrooms at the end too, I reckon should be ok.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience