Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

Freezing mycelia
    #2690325 - 05/17/04 06:20 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Has anyone ever (accidentally or on purpose) frozen mycelia from any shroom species, and found that (at least some) remained viable ? I've read at least one report here that spores can remain viable after freezing... but mycelia seem a lot more fragile, and it may not work, I'd love to hear if anyone has tried it... I only have sporeprints from wild-caught shrooms, so they're not sterile. I currently have a nice little mycelia culture growing (P.subaeruginosa), but I suspect there may be contam' there... I will subculture onto new plates couple of times, will try the series dilution method in an effort to get rid of potential contams, but then I'd like to be able to go 'straight from mycelium' in the future, without having to raise these up from spores. Maybe I could store them at below zero, but in a glycerol solution, to prevent acutal freezing ? LASTLY, say I manage to get some apparently uncontaminated plates of mycelia happening, if I wrap them in parafilm and fridge them, how long could I expect them to remain viable ? Has anyone ever, for example stored plates of mycelia on agar for a YEAR, in the fridge and found them still to be viable ? Would they still metabolise their substrate (allbeit slowly) at fridge temperature, and thus eventually run out of substrate and die ? Would they eventually metabolise all the oxygen in there and die from that ? I guess at a pinch I could briefly open the plates every few months under sterile conditions, but I wouldn't really want to be adding new substrate... any thoughts/ opinions (or best yet, actual experiences along these lines) would be greatly appreciated...

--------------------
Peace, love and organic brown rice...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Freezing mycelia [Re: suboriginal]
    #2690357 - 05/17/04 06:51 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

suboriginal said:
Has anyone ever (accidentally or on purpose) frozen mycelia from any shroom species, and found that (at least some) remained viable ?

Had you taken a look then you would have seen this still on the 1st page.

Quote:

LASTLY, say I manage to get some apparently uncontaminated plates of mycelia happening, if I wrap them in parafilm and fridge them, how long could I expect them to remain viable ? Has anyone ever, for example stored plates of mycelia on agar for a YEAR, in the fridge and found them still to be viable ? Would they still metabolise their substrate (allbeit slowly) at fridge temperature, and thus eventually run out of substrate and die ? Would they eventually metabolise all the oxygen in there and die from that ? I guess at a pinch I could briefly open the plates every few months under sterile conditions, but I wouldn't really want to be adding new substrate... any thoughts/ opinions (or best yet, actual experiences along these lines) would be greatly appreciated...

I'm not certain how long a wrapped plate might keep, I know at least 3-4 months from experience. Long term storage is typically achieved with slants covered in mineral oil. I have stored colonised grain for well over 6 months with no visible impact to viability.

Offlinemenlatin
Stranger
Re: Freezing mycelia [Re: debianlinux]
    #2691267 - 05/17/04 01:04 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Question? What if you freeze your jars right after inoculation? Would that kill any contaminats that may have gotten in the jar?

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Freezing mycelia [Re: menlatin]
    #2691350 - 05/17/04 01:21 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

No.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

Re: Freezing mycelia [Re: menlatin]
    #2705977 - 05/20/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Mentlatin, a good way to actually preserve viable bacteria, viruses and some protozoans for decades, is to freeze them...

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Freezing mycelia [Re: suboriginal] * 1
    #2718532 - 05/23/04 01:41 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Did you guys know you can take a dessicant dried mushroom several years old, and clone it onto agar? There is no need to store a petri dish for a year. Just dry a fruitbody and put it away. When you want the strain back, clone it onto agar. This is how its done in the commercial mushroom industry.

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

Re: Freezing mycelia [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2718759 - 05/23/04 02:40 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the hot tip Roger, I'm now wondering if that would work with dried, frozen cut up shrooms that were thawed... (this is how I store my shrooms in the long term, for eating), and will give it a go when I am more confident culturing from spores... methinks it should work, as as I've postulated before, I reckon a percentage of fungal spores from most species should withstand freezing (especially a slow freeze), and even if most don't, the agar should still colonise no worries...
N1.

--------------------

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

Re: Freezing mycelia [Re: suboriginal]
    #2721725 - 05/24/04 06:51 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thought I would add this to this thread, it's with regard to P. cubensis, from a thread called 'P.cubensis mycelia may withstand freezing' or sommat like that, posted by a 'chrisdab':

"I've dunked a cake before and had it frozen for aprox. 24 hours. The mycelium survived and after 3 weeks the second flush appeared.
(posted by "chrisdab" in another thread)"

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate