Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | Next > | Last >
OfflineSteelGully
Just Strange
Female User Gallery

Loc: Bottom of the world
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Tolldom]
    #26888567 - 08/19/20 02:38 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

That black stuff is mold. That is def full of contam sadly. I struggled with contam big time when I started my first couple trys and because of that I ended up going to working on agar rather than going straight to grain that way I'm able to clean up any contam on the agar and only put clean samples into the grain/substrate. Good luck but that one probably will just fill up with that mold :frown:

--------------------
Loving the shroom journey!
:mushroom2: :nyan: :tardpig: :goat: :sporedrop:
:typonese: :aweyeah:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineProfbri
Stranger

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: SteelGully]
    #26890926 - 08/20/20 11:38 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

So, the purpose of doing the agar and then transferring it to grain or whatever is so u can cut out a piece of agar that u know is growing the right stuff and inoculate w that..? Don't you just add another contamination opportunity when adding the agar to the grain..?

InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Profbri]
    #26891044 - 08/21/20 03:48 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

it's 2D media allowing you to visually see whats going on with the culture you are trying to clean-up/isolate/expand.

InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Luminous7]
    #26891051 - 08/21/20 03:59 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Celestialexplorer1 said:
I’m having an issue that began recently where the edges of a lot of my plates are getting contamed. It’s strange because this is new, I use an SAB and before I would just ISO wash my hands and be very careful and didn’t have any problems for a long time but I started to use iso washed gloves after this happened but even with a clean SAB and iso washed gloves this happens the only other thing I can think to blame is the parafilm since it’s all around the edges that’s the only thing I can make sense of. What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated. btw the specks throughout the agar are just LME

maybe condensation inside of the plates swirling around and fcking it up.
I use cling film for wraping I don't think the sides are the issue.
mostly its our hand movements inside the SAB that fcks things up a lot if we ain't careful enough.
I get this from condensation dripping down and pooling on top of agar.
Quote:

Luminous7 said:
Popped up overnight, cased with pasturized jiffy mix 2-3 days ago, all was looking good. :facepalm:

Could it be my temps during pasturization are riding the lower end of the spectrum to long? 140F being the lowest . Pasturize for about 60-75 min.

I dunno, if myc colonizes well at first it should have immunity to withstand the casing.
I started "casing" with coir the same time I spawn, really just covering the grains.
I use straight coir, for all needs :lol: so can't say about mixes of different subs.

Offlinemrpharmacist
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: F. 3]
    #26893012 - 08/22/20 07:14 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I had some yellow secretion in my jars (metabolites / sign of bacterial infection).  This first flush went pretty good for my first grow.  The caps grew fast and big.  Ended up with 350g fresh.  The second flush is not looking so good and I think I'm looking at some bacterial involvement here.  None of the cakes seem to be thriving, shrooms are growing slow and small.

Pseudomonas spp / bacterial blotch perhaps? 

Thoughts?

InvisibleMadHatter333
We Are All Mad Here

Loc: Your Mom’s Rabbit Hole
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: mrpharmacist]
    #26893041 - 08/22/20 07:44 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

It does look like bacterial blotching to me. You may want to toss them out after you harvest those. Were you giving them time in between misting to evaporate? Looks like you may have been misting to heavy or dunked for to long the second go. Also your tinfoil would be better if it were more circular or the sides brought up a bit. Next time try BRF to Bulk maybe, or use CBK’s Bottom Watering TEK. Good luck on the last of these and your next cult projects. It gets better with time.

--------------------

TEKs I Like

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: mrpharmacist]
    #26893140 - 08/22/20 09:14 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mrpharmacist said:
I had some yellow secretion in my jars (metabolites / sign of bacterial infection).  This first flush went pretty good for my first grow.  The caps grew fast and big.  Ended up with 350g fresh.  The second flush is not looking so good and I think I'm looking at some bacterial involvement here.  None of the cakes seem to be thriving, shrooms are growing slow and small.

Thoughts?

Pseudomonas for sure. Stop misting and increase FAE.

Offlinemrpharmacist
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #26895692 - 08/23/20 04:45 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the tips. I've removed the bad cakes and just kept the three which had salvageable fruit.  Stopped misting and increased the wafting. They are going nicely now, so I should be able to add another 50-100g fresh to my overall haul.
Cheers, 
Mr P :smile:

OfflineLuminous7

#26896480 - 08/24/20 06:59 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Luminous7 said:
Popped up overnight, cased with pasturized jiffy mix 2-3 days ago, all was looking good. :facepalm:

Could it be my temps during pasturization are riding the lower end of the spectrum to long? 140F being the lowest . Pasturize for about 60-75 min.

I dunno, if myc colonizes well at first it should have immunity to withstand the casing.
I started "casing" with coir the same time I spawn, really just covering the grains.
I use straight coir, for all needs :lol: so can't say about mixes of different subs.

When doing "regular" cubes I do that as well, just a bit of coir to cover the grains when spawning.

But This tub was ape, and with ape I found casing with jiffy mix ( peat moss )

Gives me very very nice flushes with zero blobbing.

Sometimes i get away with out a casing on ape and it still does decent, but Iv had a shit ton of blobbing and I hate blobbies lol.

--------------------

InvisibleMadHatter333
We Are All Mad Here

#26896494 - 08/24/20 07:13 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
Quote:

mrpharmacist said:

Thoughts?

Pseudomonas for sure. Stop misting and increase FAE.

How do you tell the difference between the two? I’d like to know so I can be better equipped at identifying contamination. I always hate giving the wrong info. Some of what I suspected was on point though.

--------------------

TEKs I Like

InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Luminous7]
    #26896498 - 08/24/20 07:17 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Fair enough have no idea about APE I've only got my hands on cubes nothing else yet (besides some mold).

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26896533 - 08/24/20 08:01 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Bacterial blotch is Psuedomonas tolassi, it’s the common name for it.

InvisibleMadHatter333
We Are All Mad Here

#26896624 - 08/24/20 08:54 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Oh lol, thanks for clearing that up. Should have known with the / symbol there.

--------------------

TEKs I Like

OfflineLittleBoard
Stranger

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: MadHatter333]
    #26896853 - 08/24/20 10:55 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Is there anything that actually helps with pseudomonas/ bacterial blotch? I got it the first time recently when temperatures hit 30°C even indoors. The stuff can rot a whole shroom away into a slimy mess.
I wish I had taken pictures. I think it came from touching an older cake that I should not have kept so long and then touching other boxes.

What I tried was blasting them in the shower just to get the slime off them (repeated the following day). Then I gave them a lot more air which kind of worked. I saw some recovery and the mushrooms actually grew and fruited to the end. I tossed the end product anyways because of the hard to describe smell and you can always grow more shrooms.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: LittleBoard]
    #26896863 - 08/24/20 10:59 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah the problem is standing water being allowed to sit on the caps. If you see it you need to mist less and/or dial in for more FAE.

Offlinefallen2sin
the amazing
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Kizzle]
    #26896896 - 08/24/20 11:12 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

First time doing cakes. This looked like bruising at first.  Haven't seen it turn almost metalic in my tubs tho... so not sure anymore

OfflineNibs
Peasant
 User Gallery

Loc: 🇨🇦
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: fallen2sin]
    #26897189 - 08/24/20 01:54 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I had a tub of B+ that I left a bit too long and spores managed to creep all the way out through the upside down lid of my monotub, and its sitting right next to a tub with Golden Teachers. Can spores from different mushrooms contaminate other substrates?

InvisibleMadHatter333
We Are All Mad Here

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Nibs]
    #26897209 - 08/24/20 02:04 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

No, mushroom spores don’t cause contamination. Nothing to worry about...

--------------------

TEKs I Like

Offlinefallen2sin
the amazing
 User Gallery

#26897620 - 08/24/20 06:15 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

First time doing cakes. This looked like bruising at first.  Haven't seen it turn almost metalic in my tubs tho... so not sure anymore
Quote:

fallen2sin said:

if anyone as any insight i would be grateful

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26897631 - 08/24/20 06:22 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fallen2sin said:

Hard to say. Might be a reaction to bacteria, some bruising from dryness that got matted, it’s hard to say. Is it growing? Does it smell? Might be a slime mold for all I can say.

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | Next > | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale