Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineILoveCowShit
TranscendentalistShroomer

Loc: ATL shawdy dont disrespek...
growing with compost
    #2689610 - 05/17/04 01:47 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

ok. this is a very noob question. this i know. BUT can anyone tell me if i bought a pot(for planting shit) and filled it with compost from say a horse barn, and maybe threw in some spores, would i be able to get any fruits. (stupid, yes i know) but if so, what type of mushroom spores would we be talking? the reason i ask is because the only thing ive been doing lately is hunting and getting practice identifying, etc. im not ready to tackle the project of growing indoors with jars, etc. and i doubt if i could conceal it well enough from the rents. any advice is greatly appreciated or just pm me. thanks - alex

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: growing with compost [Re: ILoveCowShit]
    #2689663 - 05/17/04 02:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Don't even bother. Also don't grow in your parents house!!! If you get busted they could lose everything they own.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: growing with compost [Re: ILoveCowShit]
    #2689670 - 05/17/04 02:07 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You really should read the FAQ.

If you were to do like you said your most likely to grow another species of mushroom than what you intended. The spores will not readily germinate on the manure, plus pests and competitor fungi will dominate. There are a few more reasons why that is not a good idea, but I will not go into that. It is much more complicated than that...

The best thing you could do is harvest wild mycelium from whatever species you would like to grow and transplant that into your manure pot (pasteurize it first to kill pests and competitor fungi). Provided the species you want to grow is manure inhabiting (or is capable of growing on said substrate)...

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineILoveCowShit
TranscendentalistShroomer

Loc: ATL shawdy dont disrespek...
Re: growing with compost [Re: ATWAR]
    #2690282 - 05/17/04 07:35 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

alright thanks. and btw i will read read the FAQ.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation