Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: GreenHorns]
    #26803279 - 07/04/20 10:16 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah there was a deck before, I knocked it down last summer to do all the siding and cause it was really rotting.  Building this one longer, the whole width of the house this time :rockon:

We actually have a wood stove in the basement, unfortunately I can't use it because our chimney flue is cracked.  It's fine to use our oil burning stove that way, but I can't burn wood unless I get a new flue installed, they wanted like 2 grand so I said no.  Also, you can't burn wood and oil and have it exit through the same chimney, so I'd really have to install a whole new chimney if I wanted to do both.  I wish though...

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Loc: R'lyeh
Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: Forrester]
    #26803310 - 07/04/20 10:30 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Right on dude a nice classical wrap around porch would be killer. Did you need a permit to install your stoves?

--------------------

As the spark of the dream ignites a flame of desire all we have is time and all to do is admire

Spawning to Bulk Substate TEK

General Myco Info / FAQ / Terminology

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

#26803545 - 07/04/20 12:53 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

GreenHorns said:
Right on dude a nice classical wrap around porch would be killer. Did you need a permit to install your stoves?

Yeah it would, if I was gonna stay here I would DEFINITELY have wrapped the deck all the way around to the front door!

I didn't actually install any stoves, when we moved in there was one already installed.  I actually had to unhook the pipe and put it "out of service" in order to get home insurance.  Cause of the whole wood stove + oil furnace in same flue = fire hazard thing.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

#26803552 - 07/04/20 12:55 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Ahh got it. Makes sense to need to have them separate. That creosote would probably be toxic and flammable.

--------------------

As the spark of the dream ignites a flame of desire all we have is time and all to do is admire

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#26807538 - 07/06/20 05:21 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Finally got that driveway chain up. Just two metal fenceposts and some U-bolt's to hold the chain on.

Anybody with a wrench could make short work of it, thinking maybe I'll put some muffler-weld on the nuts to cement them in place.

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #26807559 - 07/06/20 05:32 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Did you cement the fenceposts into the ground? 

That's one thing I haven't messed with yet, any cement work.  Wondering if it's pretty easy?

--------------------
-------------------

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#26807571 - 07/06/20 05:41 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Nah just hammered them in real good, I'm thinking I'll add two more posts and a couple big rocks to solidify it more.

I've never done that either. It sure sounds easy when I've read about it, just making goop with water and pouring/smoothing. Been thinking about pouring a slab in my shop once all the plumbing is installed so I have a safer place to jack up cars.

Didn't want to go to too much trouble since bolt-cutters could probably cut the chain or padlock. Its a tow chain though, pretty beefy. Might just have to do a proper gate one of these days, I rushed this because some skeezy people came driving down my driveway the other day that were definitely intending to rob the place

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: Psilosopherr] * 2
    #26819305 - 07/12/20 12:10 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Almost done, just got the railings to do.  The ducks are big fans already...

:dancingbacon:

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

#26820517 - 07/13/20 06:24 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Hot damn dude that looks great! What kind of wood did you use that grain is beautiful. A nice stain will really make that shit pop. Those ducks just found an ideal roosting spot :smile:

--------------------

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

#26821365 - 07/13/20 03:43 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

It's just pressure treated pine of some sort, I can't remember what kind... I didn't order it special it's just whatever the lumber yard gave us.  I was actually pretty annoyed cause a good amount of it was warped to shit, but it came out ok in the end so I'm happy :smile:

As a bonus, the ducks so much prefer the shade of the deck now they don't hide under our cars all day, making me clear them all out every time I gotta leave the house :lol:

--------------------
-------------------

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#26821582 - 07/13/20 06:13 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Nice work indeed. :thumbup:

Ha, I've got ducks too. Cracks me up at that they always run away from me unless I've got food, yet when I'm trying to get out of the driveway they'll just stand in front of a moving car without fear. I just got a chihuahua and he actually gets along with the ducks, I'm stoked on that.

Nothing major over here, fixed my headboard and added a shelf to the top of it, added a curved piece of wood that had some pretty worm lines on it to the center. Finally put trim on the inside of my windows.

Man I sprayed some polyurethane spray onto some artist conks/hoof fungus and it really made them pop. Wondering what color of stain might look good on them, something reddish maybe. Originally I was fiddling around with polypore masks but now I kinda want to put some bark/wood over the beam in the center of my room to make it look like a tree trunk and attach some polypores to it. Or make some little knick knack shelves with them.

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

#26823410 - 07/14/20 04:08 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

That's a cool idea, I didn't know polyurethane came in a spray?  Handy!

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: Forrester] * 1
    #26844593 - 07/25/20 12:45 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Finished up the deck!

And I finally got a pic of the whole house, from the same angle:
BEFORE / AFTER

--------------------
-------------------

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#26847054 - 07/27/20 01:32 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Very cool! You must be feeling very accomplished, I know I would be. I wonder how much you'll profit from your flip. :goodluck:

Finally going to put some waterproof flooring over some slightly uneven osb flooring in the second half of mi casa. I've only installed carpets before if anybody has any suggestions. I was thinking linoleum, or maybe vinyl. Probably tiles instead of rolls. Just sounded like a pain to unroll them from what i read. With tiles you probably just prep the surface and glue the tiles down.

Hm, linoleum would probably fuck with my acoustics unless I put something soft over it. (there's currently blankets over all the osb, makes a huge difference accoustically compared to the bare wood) Got a home music studio being pieced together so wouldn't want to mess that up. Guess there's always area rugs.

The osb floor says its for exterior flooring but I've always just assumed you couldn't get it wet or it'd mess it up like normal osb...now I'm wondering if thats not true. Eh, I still want a prettier floor.

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

#26847089 - 07/27/20 02:52 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I used a really awesome, thin, waterproof, easy to install floor in my bathroom when we first moved in,  let me look when I get home today and I think I've got an extra box and can see what it's called.  It was super easy to do and has lasted nicely for 6 years.

--------------------
-------------------

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#26858755 - 08/02/20 12:07 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, that'd be most kind of you

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #26858940 - 08/02/20 01:33 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Ah thanks for the reminder, I forgot...

Anyway there's no brand on the box, but my wife says it's called luxury vinyl plank flooring.  It's real thin and has sticky stuff already applied so the panels just stick right together when installed and you don't need nails or glue or anything.  It's great!

EDIT:

Ok she remembered the brand name, it's Allure.  Stuff is like 1.2mil thick.  All you do is score the pieces with a box knife and then bend/break, instead of using a saw.

Edited by Forrester (08/02/20 03:44 PM)

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

#26859178 - 08/02/20 03:45 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Hung up some barn doors in the hallway this weekend.

Great solution if you have a door missing, but don't wanna mess with knocking out trim/drywall and trying to hang an interior door.  Or if you just want a different look, came out pretty good.

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

#26861720 - 08/03/20 10:00 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

That door looks killer dude! I've always loved the rustic looks.

--------------------

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

#27199680 - 02/11/21 04:07 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Update, that house sold and we used the profit to buy our new house, cash - done and paid for :rockon:

--------------------
-------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
2,932 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 15 queries.