Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleNifflerz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pudge County, TX
Re: What great storms and natural disasters have you lived through? [Re: koods]
    #26859615 - 08/02/20 07:45 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Houston gets totally flooded every five years now. Sea level rise and increased rainfall are gonna make Houston unlivable in the next half century

I lived there for 4 years for a job and yeah man the flooding issue is severe in Houston.

--------------------
Aka Pudge (the real one, not the bitch ass fake one from 2020)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: What great storms and natural disasters have you lived through? [Re: Nifflerz]
    #26859719 - 08/02/20 08:43 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Gonna be a bitch if it floods right now. During allison several hospitals flooded

OfflineDonger
Stranger
Re: What great storms and natural disasters have you lived through? [Re: Nifflerz]
    #26859897 - 08/02/20 11:47 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Niffla said:
Quote:

koods said:
Houston gets totally flooded every five years now. Sea level rise and increased rainfall are gonna make Houston unlivable in the next half century

I lived there for 4 years for a job and yeah man the flooding issue is severe in Houston.

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: What great storms and natural disasters have you lived through? [Re: morrowasted]
    #26859899 - 08/02/20 11:48 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I'm from Houston, and live on the Atlantic coast of Florida now. I've lost count of how many Hurricanes and floods I've ridden out.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #26859900 - 08/02/20 11:51 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:

When I was a kid in the 80s/90's, it used to turn our street into a river a few times every summer. Nothing new.

I always tell people, you've never seen drainage ditches like Houston has. You can fall in those things and break your neck.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineTripsurfer
Bring Back Asante!
Male

Loc: West of Windward Flag
Re: What great storms and natural disasters have you lived through? [Re: blewmeanie]
    #26860591 - 08/03/20 11:19 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Hurricane Daria 1990

Storm of the century in the Netherlands

--------------------
Ach en wee ben ik de klos, met mijn boog schoot ik een albatros...

A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

#26861225 - 08/03/20 04:51 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
A 5.8 is a big earthquake even in California. California can go years without earthquakes that large. There have been 19 earthquakes in the last decade 5.8 or larger in the continental US, 7 in California.

Yeah as I thought about it more I realized that my memory is of an earlier earthquake that happened in the mid/early 2000s.

It was the first notable earthquake we had had in decades. I remember watching footage of a woman that panicked and jumped out of a drivethru window :lol:

That was like... under a magnitude 4.something.

Soooo... actually don't have any first hand memories of the 2011 earthquake. I just remember it damaged the washington monument.

I was probably high or asleep during the 2011 quake so my brain apparently merged the 2 memories. But I know the memories I have are from the early 2000s quake because it damaged my PS2 :feelsbadman:

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: What great storms and natural disasters have you lived through? [Re: CookieCrumbs] * 1
    #26861307 - 08/03/20 05:43 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I was actually asleep when it hit, but it woke me up and then a ran upstairs and stood under a door... a door made of bricks and pieces of mortar started falling on my head. It was an incredibly long earthquake and shaking lasted well over a minute, with weird vibration sounds lasting for another minute or two. Our well collapsed and clogged the pipes with mud and destroyed the pump. That and some cracked brick walls was the damage at home. 

These videos have an example of the vibrations that went on and on even after the shaking stopped

The federal government shut down after the earthquake and created the worst traffic jam in the history of the city

Inside the monument. These people probably thought they were gonna die

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Edited by koods (08/03/20 05:48 PM)

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

#26861438 - 08/03/20 07:05 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I remember the traffic too.

Tbh I think an earthquake is the scariest thing I've experienced in and of itself. It seems so unnatural and alien to have the whole world shake.

I can only imagine what it's like with others. Like the ones that make the ground roll in waves. Can definitely see why those without science world think it a supernatural event.

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

Re: What great storms and natural disasters have you lived through? [Re: Seriously_trippin]
    #26861445 - 08/03/20 07:09 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Seriously_trippin said:
Depends on what you mean by lived through. Ive never expierenced a natural disater or storm where i live.

I mostly just wanted to hear yalls stories so if you've got something vaguely related I'd be down to hear it.

I think Niffla might be winning with a goddamn volcanic eruption. I remember reading about how ash clogged up and stalled out basically everything. Never thought before how many things we have rely on vents of some sort or another. I mean technically even we do. Sounds scary to try to not breathe that shit in.

--------------------

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: What great storms and natural disasters have you lived through? [Re: CookieCrumbs]
    #26861510 - 08/03/20 07:37 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I experienced another 5.9 mag earthquake when I lived in Montreal. That one knocked out the power for a lot of the city.

https://www.earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca/historic-historique/events/19881125-en.php

I also felt the 7.6 earthquake that hit El Salvador in 2001 while in Mexico City, and another aftershock visiting my sister in San Christobal de las casas in far southern Mexico. That wasn’t as pronounced as the DC or Montreal earthquakes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_2001_El_Salvador_earthquake

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom