Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pink Oyster Bag pinning/help [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #26839591 - 07/22/20 11:52 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Let me clarify what I said above. I take 1.2 lbs soy hulls and 1.2 lbs of fuel pellets and put them in a bag dry. I fill all my bags that I am going to do. Then I go to my flow meter and put 3.4 liters of water in the bags by simply pressing a button and it puts the right amount of water in the bag. By the time I get to about 5 bags the 1st bag has soked up all the water so I fold up the 1st bag I put water in. I keep doing this until they all have water in them. I then place them in my steamer and steam them for 12 hours. After they have cooled for a couple days I take them out of my steamer and put one scoop of spawn in the bag and seal with a cable tie. I then mix the spawn HWFP's and the soy together inside the bag with my hands. But I mix through the bag so everything stays sterile.

Edited by SHROOMSISAY01 (07/23/20 12:01 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePowfuu
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26839615 - 07/23/20 12:16 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Ahh you did mention that before, about flipping the bag over and cutting on the bottom of the bag. That makes sense.

I'll also have to look into those flow meters as well. That would make things easier.
Thanks again for all your advice on the oysters, really appreciate it.

OfflinePowfuu
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26839617 - 07/23/20 12:19 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you for that more detailed post as well!! That's awesome to know. After you fill all the bags, tie them, mix them up, do you ever mix them up again, or after you mix it the first time do you put it to incubate untell its fully colonized?

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pink Oyster Bag pinning/help [Re: Powfuu]
    #26839637 - 07/23/20 12:31 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I only mix once.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26839649 - 07/23/20 12:38 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #26842762 - 07/24/20 02:00 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah those bags of pinks look like maybe too much moisture - possibly bacterial by now, how do they smell? 

Pink oyster mycelium can be pretty thin though, so it could be colonized at least mostly. 

Regardless, I'd put it in fruiting conditions and see what it does.  No reason not to really.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflinePowfuu
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Pink Oyster Bag pinning/help [Re: Forrester]
    #26842835 - 07/24/20 02:46 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for chiming in. So the bag smells fine to me. I had a lions mane bag I made the same day that went bad, and had a sour smell from the bag... so maybe I did have a bit too much moisture.

With it having a chance of bacterial growing in it, is it safe to put it in the grow tent with the others though??

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26842874 - 07/24/20 03:06 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I would not put anything in the fruiting chamber that is not perfect. Fruit the bag outdoors or on a kitchen table by misting it.

Use THIS to get your water content right every time

Edited by SHROOMSISAY01 (07/24/20 03:19 PM)

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26843080 - 07/24/20 05:02 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Powfuu said:
With it having a chance of bacterial growing in it, is it safe to put it in the grow tent with the others though??

What Shrooms said is the best advice.  But if you DON'T have another place to fruit it...

With molds and such I would worry about it spreading spores, but with bacteria I've never been too concerned.  Put it on the bottom so it doesn't drip to other substrates if you decide to keep it inside.

Bacteria/yeast/mold spores are all over everything anyway, mostly it's the health of your substrates that keeps them from getting infections.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflinePowfuu
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26852614 - 07/29/20 08:42 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

UPDATE.

I decided to move along with this pink oyster bag to see what happens, also because it's my first grow with oysters.

I'm noticing the caps are looking a bit wavy, is that usual? Hoping you guys can chime in and give input on how they are looking and what they are needing or lacking.
Temps are 69-70. Humidity is kept at 90-94%, with FAE
Also, the first 2 pics or so are from 8 hours later, these guys are growing like crazy. A little worried about the fact I had to cut the top off and theres so many clusters and may not get big... learning as I go!

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26853640 - 07/30/20 01:49 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Pinks do that, they pin a lot and don't grow nearly as big as other oysters, so that's pretty normal.

Those need a great deal more FAE, as oysters nearly always do.  That's why the caps are so wavy and all you can see is gills.

--------------------
-------------------

OfflinePowfuu
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26853817 - 07/30/20 03:03 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

All that is great to know.

Good to know they are needing more FAE. The last small table top oyster bag I had grew really skinny and tall from lack of FAE, I'm glad these aren't that way. But will definitely keep up the FAE

OfflinePowfuu
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26857448 - 08/01/20 03:31 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I also want to ask, most of the bigger clusters are turning pale and have maybe seemed to aboard or stopped growing, while I have new insets of awesome looking pink oysters coming in.

Should the ones that turned pale be picked??
Definitely did not get to full maturity

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26857457 - 08/01/20 03:37 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Powfuu said:
Definitely did not get to full maturity

How can you tell?

Just asking because I'm not kidding when I say pinks, especially when they pin that much, just don't grow that big.  They probably are mature just really tiny.

Anyway, pick 'em if they're not growing anymore.

--------------------
-------------------

OfflinePowfuu
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26857528 - 08/01/20 04:26 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, I have spawn about colonized of more pinks, I think this time I'll make straw bags instead of sawdust hardwood chips, and I'll make sure they dont pin at the top like this bag did, and I'll only have a few small holes so I can avoid this huge pin set with all of that being said.

I guess I shouldn't have said full maturity.. I have posted pics below.
Even though they are so small and not much, are they good still after I pick them?

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26857635 - 08/01/20 06:12 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

That's kinda what I thought - those white ones I think are over-mature, and turning back into mycelium that's why they're white.  If it were me, at this point I'd probably just harvest them all.  You can eat the white ones, it won't hurt you, but they're a little past so I wouldn't.

But those bright pink ones are prime for eating, although small they'll be good!

--------------------
-------------------

OfflinePowfuu
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26857681 - 08/01/20 06:50 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

That makes sense they are turning white because of that then... I'll have to get it right next time. I'm glad I could have this experience though hands on and for your help!

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26858164 - 08/02/20 04:42 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah pinks are a fun one to watch!  Kind of a novelty variety though - small size and pretty bad yields are some of the reasons you never see them for sale.

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26858783 - 08/02/20 12:27 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:
Yeah pinks are a fun one to watch!  Kind of a novelty variety though - small size and pretty bad yields are some of the reasons you never see them for sale.

That is why I stopped growing pink oyster. They are also very thin with no meat. I tried everything to get them to thicken up, with no luck. I thought it may have been where I got the spawn from. But apparently it is a trait of the pink oyster. I will stick with my Aloha Elma and my Amycel 3015 much better yields and nice thick fruits. Color is nice to attract customers but you can not make any money from them.

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26858945 - 08/02/20 01:34 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Agreed, I think a few tossed into a "mixed bag" of other oysters might help it sell, but I don't know that you'd make your money back.

--------------------
-------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale