Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
OfflineWASTE
Stranger
Re: Transgenders, genders, sex... what's it all about? [Re: Oldnameforgotten]
    #26853675 - 07/30/20 02:08 PM (15 days, 18 hours ago)

The correct defining of these words is a way for people to argue and pretend they are arguing about trans people being allowed to be trans. It is a battle about semantics on a worldwide stage.

If you argued that trans people are allowed to be trans you wouldnt get any pushback and that would bore the shit out of you.

Allowing people to be trans means different things to different people. For some it means recognizing their right to use whichever bathroom correlates to their gender identity. It means respecting the pronouns that they choose for themselves. These are things considered fundamental to trans peoples ability to exist as trans people, yet theres constant pushback against these two specific issues, so it seems that there isn't a wide held agreement to allow trans people to be trans.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Transgenders, genders, sex... what's it all about? [Re: Oldnameforgotten]
    #26853697 - 07/30/20 02:16 PM (15 days, 18 hours ago)

Nowhere did I say people should find trans people reasonable, hence the reason you seem obtuse. I only said whether something should be allowed is a different issue than whether something is reasonable. I think we actually agree, you just didn't understand my reply.

Maybe in some cases you're right because some people are looking for reasons to be offended, but I don't think generally that suggesting sex and gender are the same makes people think you don't want to allow trans to be trans. Literally no one here said that or suggested it as far as I remember. I even mentioned that in the LGBT community there are those who consider sex and gender to be the same. I don't know what more to say about it.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

“Everyone's path is different, and that is fine. We either sit or walk.”

OfflineKickleM
A Dying Hope
 User Gallery

Re: Transgenders, genders, sex... what's it all about? [Re: RJ Tubs 202] * 1
    #26855941 - 07/31/20 05:57 PM (14 days, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

RJ Tubs 202 said:
Quote:

Oldnameforgotten said:

For the most part no one gives two fucks of a shit about trans people being trans or gay people being gay. And I think also people dont care if youre male and act girly or if youre fucking women or fucking trans people. Thats not a topic of relevance.

I agree. And most people don't care about your other preferences, such as what food you prefer, the type of movies you enjoy, or what color you like your bathroom painted. To define yourself by your sexual preference is a personal problem.

Could also be said about race, intelligence, height, weight, temperament, yadda yadda. But sometimes the world makes it an issue for a person to navigate with these qualities rather than the individual having issues themselves. At least initially. People adapt in strange ways to persistent external pressures. I think that side of the coin may be getting overlooked in your assessment.

I do agree that our populace at large (myself included) has ego issues that cause us to identify with all sorts of stupid stuff. And that is a big issue. But I really think that in this case, it's a reductionist cop-out of cause that could be said for any form of identity.

--------------------
Being unable to make what is just strong,
we have made what is strong just. -- Pascal

Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

OfflineAcidGandalf
Stranger
Female

Loc: Scotland
Re: Transgenders, genders, sex... what's it all about? [Re: Kickle]
    #26857428 - 08/01/20 03:17 PM (13 days, 17 hours ago)

In my experience some people absolutely do care how you express. Not everyone, but a lot of loud and very vocal people do take issue. I know a lot of males who acted 'feminine' and were tormented for it, I also know trans people who had slurs shouted at them in the street. Of course, I have also seen a reduction in this sort of behaviour. Many will also act civil to your face but ridicule you to others, this goes for a lot of things.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology