Home | Community | Message Board

Psilocybin Summit - Sept 17-20
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Injection Ports, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDark fatal7
Stranger
Guys I need help please
    #26857079 - 08/01/20 12:07 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

Hey all thanks in advance for reading I really need some advice

I started growing about 10 years ago with breaks I'm between with this last one about 3 years since growing. I learned everything from this site and it helped me to produce some serious flushes and entertain a great hobby but I am not at a loss

After this long hiatus I decided to start again since I missed it so much. However I am running into some really hard problems that I don't really know how to combat. I'm originally from the north(us) but now love down south where many species naturally grow. I however have not attempted 5 different times to produce anything and not a single thing is working.

1. First go round I bought Ms syringes for a trusted source and 3 3 lb rye bags to get everything started off. I didn't want to risk doing everything myself after restarting. 2 bags showed no growth at all. The 3rd bag grew but eventually bacame bacterial being kept at 74 degrees through the entire grow in a well ventilated room I don't use for anything in my apt.

2. Second round I did 12 uncle Ben's same scenario this time different vendor and strain. 6 colonized fully, 3 went to green mold and 2 to bacteria. I spawned the 6 bags to 3 shoeboxes and all eventually triched out. Fan in the room, constant temp of 72 and LED lights in each. All 3 tubs fully colonized. I missed every few days I didn't see droplets a d fanned when necessary.. still all 3 tubs failed.

3. Attempted a new strain Ms to my own oat jars using bods method of prep. All 24 hard except 2 turned green.

4. Agar-using pasty plates. 1 transfer each then wedges to oat jars using a different prep method. We're clean much before. Oats were looking very nice. All except 2 got green mold.

5. This last time I was mad as was determined to get some going. I did some pastys- 3 transfers each till I filled a whole plate. I bleached the entire grow area and cleaned to no end. Ran an air purifier for 4 days straight to get everything set. I do use an sab. I followed the teks to the t. I scrubbed and scrubbed and wanted all the nastiest out. I tiger dropped 5 plates to 5 oat jars. Took awhile to take off but finally became fully colonized. Was super hopeful. Made my entire area clean again and did a grain to grain and made 24 jars again. Everything is looking good for a week. Seeing potential in all and then bam cobweb on some green mold on others.

For reference I use an air purifier in my room before hand. Have bleached and scrubbed everything. I use an sab. I flame steralize and alcohol wipe everything before and after enoc. Keep a steady temp and nice ample air flow. I am using polyfill for the lids tucked tight like bosses uses.

Help what am I doing wrong here and how can I fix this

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Guys I need help please [Re: Dark fatal7] * 1
    #26857137 - 08/01/20 12:41 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

Maybe try switching up vendors.. I’ve always had great luck with sp^%#*orks (be sure not to name vendors directly).. I’m sure all our vendors are great but that’s the only place I’ve gone to and haven’t had any problems whatsoever and I’m guessing any problems I had with others were user error.

What I like to do (it does take a bit more time) is get a syringe from that vendor... then make like 6 1/2 pints of pf tek jars.. grow those out and pick fruits to clone.  Pf tek seems to be really resistant to bacteria.. not that bacteria won’t grow, but it doesn’t seem to stop a flush from happening to at least get fruits to clone. 

Once I’ve got the fruits, I clone to a small amount of grain... let that grow out and then I extract the myc from that to make a grain LC.. use that to knock up qts.  I’ll post the links to my process below so you can take a look at it but it’d be really easy to do in a SAB.. drop clone tissue into a Master pint and grow that out.. then g2g the pint into qts. 

Your sterile technique could be the problem when you’re g2g’ing or the master qts could be dirty from the start.. it’s hard to say.  What kind of lids are you using and where is the contamination starting in your jars?

Here’s the links to my clone processes:

These are the lids for my GLC jars.. I don’t like opening the jars at any point unless I’m going to spawn them, so I don’t do g2g and instead opt for using a syringe and self healing injection ports https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6886717/an/0/page/0

This is the cloning process I use to knock up the master jars with clone tissue... this is just for some reading on it.. you can totally not use the oven bag and H2o2 and instead just do it in a SAB but the idea is the same.. drop a inner stem tissue into prepped grain with good, quick sterile technique.  https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6590986/an/0/page/1

Faht

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

Re: Guys I need help please [Re: fahtster]
    #26857155 - 08/01/20 12:52 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

my suggestion is to pick a technique and stick with it until you get it right.  It's easier to diagnose and fix problems when you're doing the same thing over and over again, rather than becoming upset and trying a new technique.

I'm sure you'll get there bud, diligence and patience.

--------------------
Ὡς οὖν εἴπεν αὐτοῖς ὅτι Ἐγώ εἰμι, ἀπῆλθον εἰς τὰ ὀπίσω, καὶ ἔπεσον χαμαί.

Offlinemeowjinx
Stranger
Re: Guys I need help please [Re: naturalistic123]
    #26857225 - 08/01/20 01:29 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

Skip the tiger drop for now, IMO. It works great for faster colonization, but it's more likely to lead to contams because you're using the entire agar plate

I say this from personal experience, I also had trich issues w/ several shoeboxes and did a lot of Tic Tac Toe tiger drops. I'm not saying it's not a good technique, but if your problem is contams then you want to be able to fix that before you use it

It sounds like grow #4, the one where you didn't go MS syringe straight to grain and where you used the smallest amount of agar to inoculate your grains was the most successful. This may hint that it's your sterile technique methods that are the root cause

Maybe you can try some experiments. Prep and sterilize your grain but don't inoculate it, or inoculate it w/ an "empty" agar wedge and see if it molds. And maybe do 2 jars, one w/ a small piece of agar and one tiger dropped and spawn then to 2 separate shoe boxes and compare results

These are just suggestions, you don't need to do them. The point is that this is a fixable issue. In theory, even if you have a ton of mold spores in the air, you should still be able to do clean grows if you exercise good sterile technique. That's what the SAB, PC, etc. are for.

Your frustration is understandable, we've all been there. But there is a solution to your problem

OfflineDark fatal7
Stranger
Re: Guys I need help please [Re: meowjinx]
    #26857302 - 08/01/20 02:32 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

Thanks guys for the replies I appreciate it. That was my thought process and I actually bought from 2 separate vendors who I have both used in the past. I have a feeling it does have to do with sterile technique although I do run my HEPA in the air for awhile before hand. Sanitize the crap out of myself and my sab. I do have it raised with a cookie rack and elevated from the floor of the sab. I wear gloves and flame steralize with an alcohol burner and 70 iso. I guess I just keep trying and figuring out my mistakes.

The question about the lids. I use polyfil with a 1-1/4 inch hole. Faht thank you for the words and the advice. I'm going to look into doing that as it seems th most viable. I want to essentially have a perpetual harvest schedule where I am doing mycology frequently like bod and shaper dreaming. That's the end goal and your method seems to be in the right direction. I'm going to change my lids up as well and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you for your advice guys

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Guys I need help please [Re: Dark fatal7]
    #26857325 - 08/01/20 02:56 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

Yeah.. I was at the same exact impasse as you.. I was doing g2g and even worse than losing jars, I was losing every tub just before it looked like it was about to pin.. so fracking frustrating.  Thought I was going to lose my damn mind or give up on growing completely.. that’s why I developed those techniques with the oven bag and the lids.. most will say it’s overkill but after I did that, my loss rate dropped SIGNIFICANTLY.. like below 10%.  Desperate times definitely called for desperate measures.  If you look at my gallery, its obviously worked for me.

Not to say you should use my techniques.. they just worked for me is all, but as long as you move quickly from the point of exposing the inner stem tissue to cut it and dropping it in the grain jar and putting the lid back on, working in a SAB should work great.  Then if you’re going to use that jar to g2g to others, I’d personally even wrap (except for the GE of course) the clone jars in Syran wrap after cloning to them to help reduce dust getting on the jar rings while it colonizes.. little things like that I think help a lot.

Summertime is also a bitch for mold spores in the air.. I only grow in the winter months for that reason.  I feel your frustrations and good
Luck whatever you do!

Faht

Offlinemeowjinx
Stranger
    #26857349 - 08/01/20 03:13 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

No prob. I use SFD filters on my metal lids, but am going to try doing Pasty's unmodded plastic lids for my next grow since metal lids are a pain in my ass handling them in the SAB

And in your SAB do you soak the walls w/ soapy water? From what I've heard, that's one of the most important steps. I place a towel on the "floor" of the SAB and blast it w/ soapy water

The point of the soapy water is to serve as a physical "trap" for dust and mold spores. Chemicals like iso and bleach are well and good for disinfecting surfaces, but ultimately your main goal is to avoid contaminants floating in the air and chemicals aren't going to be able to kill them all and one HEPA filter is not gonna be able to filter all of the mold spores out of the room. There could easily millions of mold spores in the air in your room

OfflineDark fatal7
Stranger
Re: Guys I need help please [Re: meowjinx]
    #26857422 - 08/01/20 04:12 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

That's in a way how I feel. I would rather go overkill and get some flushes then nothing at all. So I'm going to implement them for sure!

I do use a towel as well and soak it with soapy water. I do also spray the living crap out of my sab and wipe all the walls and the outside as well with warm soapy water.

OfflineKyngwhatt
presbyter
Other

Loc: The pharcyde
    #26883712 - 08/16/20 05:46 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

I always get cobweb after the first flush and have no idea what i can do to change that.

--------------------
Whatt

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Injection Ports, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation