Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMycochopper
Stranger
BRF cake meat grinder?
    #26856117 - 07/31/20 09:52 PM (11 days, 19 hours ago)

So as I was taking my consolidated BRF cake and using a grater to break them up an mix with substrate I had a simple thought. 

What would happen if I ran all this through a meat grinder a couple times?

As I pondered upon this a min I began to think that the more points of contact that the mycelium has, the faster and more evenly it should grow throughout the substrate.

Has anyone ever tried such a thing?  Would it even work or be more efficient?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleNichrome
Decomposition Artist

Loc: Zone 5
Re: BRF cake meat grinder? [Re: Mycochopper]
    #26856137 - 07/31/20 10:00 PM (11 days, 18 hours ago)

Just pack them in on top of a half inch of coir (edges touching) and fill in the gaps. Cover with another half inch of coir and introduce to fruiting conditions. No need to break them up at all. Works great and you're cutting down the vectors like crazy. Good luck.

--------------------
Species

OfflineMycochopper
Stranger
Re: BRF cake meat grinder? [Re: Nichrome] * 1
    #26856152 - 07/31/20 10:05 PM (11 days, 18 hours ago)

Yes it does but I love experimentation and theoretics.

OfflineGayfish
Lyrical genius
Male

Loc: Climbing
    #26856170 - 07/31/20 10:14 PM (11 days, 18 hours ago)

I’m with nichrome, you already have a strong organism in a healthy state. I think you’d have more success letting the cakes do their thing with some extra water content from the coir.

That being said, I also like experimenting, and as such have lost a couple grows in the process. I think curiosity has its place, and win or lose as long as you learn something, maybe the experiment is worth it?

The community has been experimenting for so long that they’ve refined it to reliable teks. Doesn’t mean you can’t break the mold (pun not intended) and have success though

--------------------
We don’t make sense around here, we make dollars

OnlineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy | UFOs | 2020
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #26856208 - 07/31/20 10:36 PM (11 days, 18 hours ago)

Interesting idea. Id say try it out with a few cakes and see how it goes! :cheers:

Offlinepesa
Male User Gallery

#26856591 - 08/01/20 04:46 AM (11 days, 12 hours ago)

1. if your meat grinder is clean enough and does not have the following bacteria sleeping on it Campylobacter,Clostridium perfringens,E. coli etc.go for it, search old threads people use to put brf cakes in blender and got good results.

2. if you plan to go from brf to bulk do not consolidate the cakes soon as they go all white use the grater they will not be so tough to break.

Offlinealaskappalachian
peakbagger

Loc: The 49th Dimension
Re: BRF cake meat grinder? [Re: pesa]
    #26856615 - 08/01/20 05:46 AM (11 days, 11 hours ago)

Won't make any palpable difference.  You can crumble them up with a clean pair of dick beaters down to as fine as sand in less than a minute and your colonization time will be the same as if you ran it through (within a ridiculously small margin).  That said,  I get the appeal of grinding shit in a meat grinder on gp lol.:bongload:  That said,  once colonization has taken place,  handling your cakes to spawn is hardly a vector  (as mentioned above).

--------------------

InvisibleNichrome
Decomposition Artist

Loc: Zone 5
Re: BRF cake meat grinder? [Re: alaskappalachian]
    #26857132 - 08/01/20 01:37 PM (11 days, 3 hours ago)

Cutting cells vs breaking cells apart. Seems like it would only draw from the cache of available nutrients. People have used all manner of grinders, blenders, graters, mashers, and food processors for this very thing. It will all work given minor adjustments to processing. Personally I don't like to force them to adapt to harsh circumstance. Although they "can" do it, it seems drastic and unnecessary.

In the past I ran crumbled cakes, shredded cakes, blended cakes and grated cakes spawned to bulk as well as whole cakes packed and cased. The crumbled cakes always shit the bed first and took longer to fruit than the whole cakes packed and cased.

Cakes are colonies. If they have attained homeostasis it is best not to mess with it. Most brf cakes are made with MS syringes. Most MS syringes are full of other critters like bacteria and such. The colony will generally mount a defense which will localize the "infections" that are present in most MS brf cake type scenarios. Breaking up the infected area and spreading it around in a substrate causes the colony to adjust to new conditions as well as mount a massive immune response to overcome the now widely distributed infection. All of this takes energy away from fruit production. This is the main "vector" I was referring to. Spreading around what is there. It will work but this is my "theory" which I believe this conversation is about.

Stress rarely increases the productivity of any organism.

--------------------
Species

Onlinejcm4620
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BRF cake meat grinder? [Re: Nichrome]
    #26857234 - 08/01/20 02:32 PM (11 days, 2 hours ago)

cakes are not ideal for spawning anyway. ever thought of just using grains??
its a hell of a lot better and easier to work with

--------------------
PANAEOLUS FRUITING MADE SIMPLE

Edited by jcm4620 (08/01/20 02:33 PM)

OfflineMycochopper
Stranger
Re: BRF cake meat grinder? [Re: Nichrome]
    #26860019 - 08/03/20 06:34 AM (9 days, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

Nichrome said:

In the past I ran crumbled cakes, shredded cakes, blended cakes and grated cakes spawned to bulk as well as whole cakes packed and cased. The crumbled cakes always shit the bed first and took longer to fruit than the whole cakes packed and cased.

Interesting.  I would have thought that if you crumbled the cakes and took them to substrate that each individual peace would have acted just the same as an individual piece of grain put to substrate.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Herb Grinder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation