Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Hemp, Shpongle

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Cliches' and stereotypes
    #2685540 - 05/16/04 05:16 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It seems that the majority of the populous are a bunch of wandering stereotypes who spend their time espousing cliche's.

All under an umbrella of pitch black comedy.

Thats what I see when I turn on the TV anyways. Real life is a bit more complex, but ten times as horrific....or hilarious, depending on your modus-operendi.

You walk into a bus and you are confronted with a very diverse group of individuals. HOWEVER. At least 50-60% of these individuals are remote versions of general stereotypes. These types can usually be seen talking shit, blabbing on to their friends about whatever they have deemed neccessery to blab on about.

Next, we have a 20% block of invalids. These people do not garner any type of attention from anyone except their own kind, and they are not animated, or relevent enough to discuss.

Then you have the final 5th. These are the unique types, the types who make up their own catchphrases and wear cool/interesting clothing. And by cool I do not mean American Eagle. I mean, they have some sort of intrinsic "style", whether it be attractive or unattractive. Also in this category are the nuthouse maniacs. The weirdos who haunt the public transit system, forever wasting away their days mumbling to themselves, or suffering panic attacks, in the back of bus.

So....the question here is, where does the majority block, the general demographic come from? These are the people that love movies like "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Legends of the Fall", They settle for less, and they are easily pacified.

Speaking of pacification, wow, there is lots of shit out there trying its hardest to pacify you eh? genetics, TV, oppressive economic systems, depression, drugs, alcohol, friends, family.

All out to keep you sucking on your thumb and waiting in line.

FOREVER

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: Cliches' and stereotypes [Re: Positronius]
    #2685571 - 05/16/04 05:34 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

okay, I got ahead of myself there a bit.

So I'm watching the local news, a sure-fired riot of comedy - everyday -. There is this story about how some guy's cat got stabbed. The owner was interviewed, he said:

"well, we were just sitting at home, watching a movie on tv, and my cat came in through the sliding patio door and sat beside my chair. I began to pet him, and he was all sticky, so I looked at my hand and realized it was covered with blood.

I just think its sick and disgusting, how could someone do such a horrible thing to a defenseless animal"?

The guy was fat, and by seeing the way he carried himself, I guarantee he ate meat that night, probably a cheese burger, or possibly chicken strips.

Perfect isnt it? not only is the act of "stabbing a cat" sickly hilarious on its own, but then you get to enjoy the entertainment of watching an idiot talk about the incident, and blow it up into a big moral melodrama.

--------------------

Offlinetezcatlipoca
but you can callme tez

Loc: nl, canada
    #2685855 - 05/16/04 10:10 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i'm thinking of a stereotype that you fit into perfectly.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2685909 - 05/16/04 10:47 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

"i'm thinking of a stereotype that you fit into perfectly."

Don't be silly.

I hear what you're saying pos.. One of the most fascinating aspects of these pacified people is their inability to cope with the simplest most widely understood societal traps. Some people get caught up in such stupid patterns they can't do anything but barely keep their head above the water being sucked around wherever the current takes them.

For example, really overweight unhealthy people who can't get it around their heads that they should not drink sugar water (like coke). I know this girl with pasty pink skin and a big gut, and every night before bed she drinks a pop and talks about how she would eat brown rice, it's just that he roommate likes things white.. white bread, white rice. She makes excuses for not taking control of her life.

Same thing with those guys who struggle to pay rent every month because sure as shit they go to the bar and spend way too much money friday and saturday until boom they get someone pregnant and they find themselves frozen in conrete where they stand. The general population has a magnetic atraction towards a severe degree of mediocrity.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2686394 - 05/16/04 02:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

has it ever occured to you that there may be more to people than the clothes they choose to wear?

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Cliches' and stereotypes [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2686415 - 05/16/04 02:33 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

"has it ever occured to you that there may be more to people than the clothes they choose to wear?"

woah, is this an after-school TV special?

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: Cliches' and stereotypes [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2687142 - 05/16/04 05:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

has it ever occured to you that there may be more to people than the clothes they choose to wear?

--- good use of irony, props.

i'm thinking of a stereotype that you fit into perfectly.

---exactly!

--------------------

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #2687227 - 05/16/04 05:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i hate to get labeled because of what i wear. Sometimes when i hang with my more laid back friends to smoke some hemp, they feel they need to motivate my looks by dragging up some episode from way back when i did something crazy to put their more hardcore druggie friends at ease.
So that they will know that i really do fit in there despite my clean appearance.

Sad people.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
    #2687258 - 05/16/04 05:30 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well, some people go with the herd, others develop their own style. This only show that some have chosen to care about some stuff, others about other.

A buddhist monk won't strike u with a clever clothing style, he focuses on other things in life. A genius mathematician might look average when u see him on the street, but when u talk with him about his theories u will see how unique he is.

In today's society, it all comes down to choose what u care about and go deeper in it, if it makes u happy. Some people choose Shpongle and psychedelics, others gangsta rap and a culture of whores and pimps, others choose not to choose and watch dumb shows all day, it all does not matter so much, at the end, we all get old and die.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: Cliches' and stereotypes [Re: gotmagog]
    #2687297 - 05/16/04 05:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

A buddhist monk won't strike u with a clever clothing style

--I disagree, Buddhist monks seem very concerned with aesthetics, much more than the average person, because they infuse their aesthetic patterns with philosophical meaning.

--------------------

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2689646 - 05/17/04 01:56 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I just dress to blend in. Dressing to be different is also cliche.

OH NO! Postmodern breakdown.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2689661 - 05/17/04 02:01 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Everybody fits into one stereotype or another.

I think you may be the angry white suburbanite character.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: Cliches' and stereotypes [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2689677 - 05/17/04 02:09 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

im not angry or suburbanite in the least, oh foolish one.

and you are alot whiter than I could ever hope to be, so I suggest you keep accusations of whiteness out of it.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2689728 - 05/17/04 02:34 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I found it interesting that when I was a young man with long hair, I was a hippie radical. Then I joined the service, got a buzz cut and was instantly a conservative square.

One can tell very little from outward appearance.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2689892 - 05/17/04 03:35 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I probably fall into the same category as the "nuthouse maniacs", but I also enjoyed "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Legends of the Fall". But I don't settle for less, and I am not easily pacified.

While I agree that there is a good-sized portion of society that is easily pacified, and who don't aspire to much, I think it's dangerous to lump people into categories.

I am usually pleasantly surprised by people. If one lumps people, one has made generalizations about them, and thereby cuts off getting to know them based on what is already assumed to be true about them.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2690212 - 05/17/04 06:29 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Nice rant... if I was forced to choose a "stereotype" for you to fit into, Positronius, it would be the "bitter & aloof misanthrope" category.

This category consists of many, from all ages and backgrounds. Some have chosen to become one, knowingly or not, because of an injustice or wrongdoing society has thrust upon them in the past. Some have become this type of person for the simple disgust of what society has manifested itself into. Some have joined the ranks because of their desire to be unique. The list is endless.

But we all share one ubiquitous trait: death. Think to yourself... is life really worth hauling around all that cumbersome castigation and condemnation? (Maybe, in some ill-formed, sadistic habit one may have developed) Who is really wasting their time: you, or the man who eats a cheeseburger, or the person laughing at the bloodied cat as he watches from his television set? Perhaps they are enjoying themselves more than you are. Then again, how much do you value your happiness. If happiness means commenting on society, then so be it; from there you achieve one of the only sources of joy in your existence.

Alas, these are but suggestions and thoughts of mine. Take them for whatever worth you place on them.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2690855 - 05/17/04 01:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

dude, do yourself a favor and just ignore the clothes people wear. It doesnt mean shit.

like everyone on this site thinks I'm a nerd, because I've chosen to represent myself that way. They look at my avatar and immeadiately assume all this crap about how often I get laid, and what kind of life I have.

I used to put a lot of effort into looking "cool". I had the long hair, dyed a million different colors. I wore the torn jeans and "Fuck You" T-shirts. Not that I was trying to conform to a style, I was just being creative with my appearance. But still, 5 years ago, no one would have put me in the "nerd" or "prep" categories.

these days I wear khakis and polos. I cut my hair because it was annoying and took up too much of my time.

Why the change in style? At one point, I realized that my style of dress was attracting the wrong type of people, ie people that judge others by the clothes they wear.

A few months ago, I was in Denny's, and it was spring break, so a lot of my old highschool friends were in town, hanging out at Denny's. When I walked in, this preppy dude that was in my AP English class commented on how I had "cleaned up my act". My response: "I find it highly amusing that a haircut and a polo shirt would make you think that."

Because i'm still crooked as hell. Still hate the government. Still smoke weed everyday. But let me ask you this: Who is more likely to get searched by the cops when pulled over? Me, the polo-shirt wearing clean cut kid, or some "cool" guy with long hair and a "nonconformist" wardrobe?

seriously dude. You have to actually talk to people in order to find out if they are cool. All of the organized criminals and revolutionaries I know look like fucking straight edge businessmen.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2691464 - 05/17/04 03:43 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Personal experience tells me people see me as junkie, or else strange folks wouldn't pop up asking me for weed and/or paraphernalia.
This started happening when i started dressing like an headbanger 10 years ago wearing long hair, tight trousers, doc martins and megadeth t-shirt. Now i don't wear any of this but yeah, i still use drugs.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Cliches' and stereotypes [Re: MAIA]
    #2691743 - 05/17/04 04:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I hear ya bro.

Hey, know where I can score some kind bud and tabs and maybe some tabs?  :hippie:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: Cliches' and stereotypes [Re: daba]
    #2693646 - 05/17/04 11:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

daba:

it would be the "bitter & aloof misanthrope" category

---mehhh, my metaphors arent make-shift rope traps, and you arent a rabbit in the wilderness. Or are you?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Hemp, Shpongle

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology