Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Humidity and temperature controller [Re: dfwerydfhg] * 1
    #26879405 - 08/13/20 11:49 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dfwerydfhg said:
To help out the next builder, here's my attempt at a wiring diagram. I think it's consistent with the discussion above...

Challenge for the next builder: incorporate a GFCI nicely :smile:

The only thing I don't recall is breaking the tab on the switched outlet.  I'm sure I did, though, since everything turns off with the switch.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledfwerydfhg
Stranger
Re: Humidity and temperature controller [Re: Blue Helix]
    #26879754 - 08/14/20 08:45 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Please snag away, it’s your design!

If you built it 10 years ago I’m not surprised you don’t remember breaking the tab. I only realized it was needed when drawing it out. Now watch me forget to do it when the box finally arrives...

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Humidity and temperature controller [Re: dfwerydfhg]
    #26880246 - 08/14/20 02:23 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dfwerydfhg said:
Please snag away, it’s your design!

If you built it 10 years ago I’m not surprised you don’t remember breaking the tab. I only realized it was needed when drawing it out. Now watch me forget to do it when the box finally arrives...

I wonder if you will get that awesome humidity probe I did.  I mean I wonder if they changed it.  Let me know what you think once you start to test it.  I was impressed, and usually, humidity probes do the opposite of impress me.  Usually they kind of suck.

Invisibledfwerydfhg
Stranger
    #26884575 - 08/17/20 09:58 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Mine looks similar: 15-20 mm diameter black plastic probe at the end, the final half of which has radial slots in it so it's about 50% open. There's a very fine mesh between the slots so I can't get a good view of the actual measuring element. It looked like the caged end might unscrew so I tried it- felt horrible and crunchy so stopped doing that quick! Hopefully it didn't screw anything up.

I didn't get any documentation with the probe, and the switch doesn't mention calibration. Can't find anything online either. Was planning on just doing a damp towel in a bag to test 100%, and comparing to another probe at room RH. If there's a massive discrepancy there I'll have to look into other options.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #26886009 - 08/18/20 03:32 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dfwerydfhg said:
Mine looks similar: 15-20 mm diameter black plastic probe at the end, the final half of which has radial slots in it so it's about 50% open. There's a very fine mesh between the slots so I can't get a good view of the actual measuring element. It looked like the caged end might unscrew so I tried it- felt horrible and crunchy so stopped doing that quick! Hopefully it didn't screw anything up.

I didn't get any documentation with the probe, and the switch doesn't mention calibration. Can't find anything online either. Was planning on just doing a damp towel in a bag to test 100%, and comparing to another probe at room RH. If there's a massive discrepancy there I'll have to look into other options.

They sent me documentation, but it doesn't surprise me that you didn't get any.  The days of documentation coming with things we buy is basically ending, so never assume you'll get documentation for anything anymore (search online for it).  The HS-311 humidity switch by LOVE Controls certainly does have a calibration adjustment (parameter P1), just like the temperature one does (also P1).  I basically did the damp rag test and set that to 100% RH for mine.  If you are more interested in lower humidity, do the salt test.  Anyway, here are your manuals.

Temperature Switch (TS2):
https://www.dwyer-inst.com/PDF_files/T_TS2.pdf

Humidity Switch (HS)
https://www.dwyer-inst.com/PDF_files/H_HS_rev3.pdf

Edited by Blue Helix (08/18/20 03:43 AM)

Invisibledfwerydfhg
Stranger
    #26901916 - 08/27/20 09:18 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I got mine wired up and working- apparently pic uploading is broken right now so I'll do that later.

Lessons learned:
  • Next time I'd do it in a proper electrical enclosure. Would be more of a pain cutting all the holes, and cost more, but the outlet box was pretty annoying. The standoffs where the outlets screw in are wide enough that they get in the way of the clips holding the controllers to the panel, so I had to get rid of those and they're loose. I also don't love how many holes there are into the box. It shouldn't be a problem, I'm just paranoid about water or some metallic dust getting in there and shorting stuff out. Use a GFCI!
  • Anyone who knows anything about electrical wiring probably groaned at my diagram above- I got the hot/neutral color conventions backwards. Whoops. I wired mine properly for future me's benefit, which was way more confusing than it needed to be without a color swapped diagram :smile: If I find some time I'll update the schematic.
  • Get "decorator" plugs if using the faceplate. These just look better because they fill out the whole gap.
  • Also, pass on safety plugs. They have little bits of plastic in the holes for the hot/neutral prongs, and make it a pain in the ass to probe the socket when testing. This one's pretty minor, could always use a lightbulb or something to test.
  • The humidity probe should be wired differently than shown in Helix's diagram on the first page. Maybe something changed since he bought his. Mine had a little sticker on the end of the probe identifying which leads should go where. Didn't cause any problems having it wrong, just got a "probe shorted" error until I fixed it.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #26902908 - 08/27/20 06:50 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dfwerydfhg said:
I got mine wired up and working- apparently pic uploading is broken right now so I'll do that later.

Lessons learned:
  • Next time I'd do it in a proper electrical enclosure. Would be more of a pain cutting all the holes, and cost more, but the outlet box was pretty annoying. The standoffs where the outlets screw in are wide enough that they get in the way of the clips holding the controllers to the panel, so I had to get rid of those and they're loose. I also don't love how many holes there are into the box. It shouldn't be a problem, I'm just paranoid about water or some metallic dust getting in there and shorting stuff out. Use a GFCI!
  • Anyone who knows anything about electrical wiring probably groaned at my diagram above- I got the hot/neutral color conventions backwards. Whoops. I wired mine properly for future me's benefit, which was way more confusing than it needed to be without a color swapped diagram :smile: If I find some time I'll update the schematic.
  • Get "decorator" plugs if using the faceplate. These just look better because they fill out the whole gap.
  • Also, pass on safety plugs. They have little bits of plastic in the holes for the hot/neutral prongs, and make it a pain in the ass to probe the socket when testing. This one's pretty minor, could always use a lightbulb or something to test.
  • The humidity probe should be wired differently than shown in Helix's diagram on the first page. Maybe something changed since he bought his. Mine had a little sticker on the end of the probe identifying which leads should go where. Didn't cause any problems having it wrong, just got a "probe shorted" error until I fixed it.

Yeah, I don't know if my probe was different or not.  I definitely could have made a mistake on the diagram.  I should hope that anyone who does the project should always refer to the literature provided by the hardware over my diagram.  That applies to everything in fact.  I cannot assume responsibility for any bad things that happen to people, but I do think that if you use a GFCI in your wall outlet, you won't die.  It just might not work perfectly at first until you fix something.

I also didn't get confused by your diagram because the colors of my wires are white and black.  You have blue and yellow, so I just assumed it was for illustrative purposes only.

Do you have a link to those decorator plugs?  What is that?

Edited by Blue Helix (08/27/20 06:59 PM)

Invisibledfwerydfhg
Stranger
    #26938594 - 09/16/20 08:47 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Decorator outlets have the whole face of the outlet flush with where the plugs go in, so it fills up the whole space in a typical wall plate with a square opening. The regular ones are recessed between the two outlets- they fit in the big chunky metal outlet boxes, which have individual holes for each outlet rather than one big hole. They'll both do the job, one just looks a bit janky here.

Decorator: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-radiant-White-15-Amp-Decorator-Outlet-Residential-Outlet/1000760316

Regular: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pass-Seymour-Legrand-Ivory-15-Amp-Duplex-Outlet-Residential-Outlet/3235948

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #27027296 - 11/07/20 05:40 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

dfwerydfhg said:
Decorator outlets have the whole face of the outlet flush with where the plugs go in, so it fills up the whole space in a typical wall plate with a square opening. The regular ones are recessed between the two outlets- they fit in the big chunky metal outlet boxes, which have individual holes for each outlet rather than one big hole. They'll both do the job, one just looks a bit janky here.

Decorator: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-radiant-White-15-Amp-Decorator-Outlet-Residential-Outlet/1000760316

Regular: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pass-Seymour-Legrand-Ivory-15-Amp-Duplex-Outlet-Residential-Outlet/3235948

Oh, yeah, that was a mistake.  I didn't use the "regular" one.  I used one like the decorator one.  I changed the original parts list to feature a similar decorator one at Home Depot.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #27061697 - 11/28/20 02:17 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I just went to make another ones of these and realized that the 55-cubic-inch 4-gang box is too small and shallow.  This is the correct, 71-cubic-inch one (corrected above too):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-4-Gang-71-cu-in-Old-Work-PVC-Electrical-Box-B468R/202077406

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #27081963 - 12/10/20 11:03 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

UPDATE! 

I followed this to make a second unit, and it did not work.  It turns out that Dwyer has changed the HS-311/THC-P and they no longer will work for this purpose (it only can measure below 90% in the latest revision of the switch).  The engineers at Dwyer Instruments said one should use the HS-411 and RHP-5N40.  These are about $50 more total unfortunately.  HOWEVER, the probe responds super super fast (think seconds) and is dead accurate unlike anything I've ever seen, including my probe!

You will need to add a DC power supply to make the super advanced humidity probe work (voltage anywhere between 10 and 35 VDC).  I know that is a big annoyance, but anyone who wants help to have the best humidity probe you'll ever find, let me know.  I can share the precise pin hookups for the new advanced humidity probe.

Edited by Blue Helix (01/26/21 12:14 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom