Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon Coir, Perlite, San Pedro, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGlazedHazels
Reality Outran Apprehension

50% quartz aquarium gravel seedling mix
    #26854350 - 07/30/20 10:31 PM (12 days, 9 hours ago)

After reading around I was wondering if a soil mix for cactus seeds that was 50% quartz based aquarium gravel and 50%  Calcined Clay (for bonsai trees) would be sufficient for keeping cobweb at bay.

Or could I save myself the hassle and just use terrarium sand?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineZifozonke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 50% quartz aquarium gravel seedling mix [Re: GlazedHazels]
    #26855343 - 07/31/20 01:19 PM (11 days, 19 hours ago)

Im certainly no pro but am sure your mix could work
With cacti the more drainage the better
Some of the more commonly used components for drainage are pumice and perlite but yeah drainage is drainage
As long as your cacti dont sit with their roots constantly in wet soil your good.I remember reading that a good mix will dry inbetween waterings.

OfflineSFS96S
AstroMan
 User Gallery

Loc: Valleys Of Neptune
Re: 50% quartz aquarium gravel seedling mix [Re: Zifozonke]
    #26857088 - 08/01/20 01:13 PM (10 days, 19 hours ago)

Are you sowing seeds or are you transplanting seedlings?

--------------------
How I make and preserve tea

Consuming consumes a man That was never a purpose of life To only crave for material joys Is believing the lie - Mellow Mood

OfflineGlazedHazels

Re: 50% quartz aquarium gravel seedling mix [Re: SFS96]
    #26859043 - 08/02/20 04:20 PM (9 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

SFS96 said:
Are you sowing seeds or are you transplanting seedlings?

I'm going to sow them in. I'm not sure how long they can be kept on such a medium.

OfflineSFS96S
AstroMan
 User Gallery

Loc: Valleys Of Neptune
Re: 50% quartz aquarium gravel seedling mix [Re: GlazedHazels]
    #26859128 - 08/02/20 05:14 PM (9 days, 15 hours ago)

Many people just use sifted cactus soil to sow seeds in. I like to use 2 parts sifted cactus soil to 1 part medium coarse sand for my lophophoras and trichocereus. They are normally good for at lest 4 months before I start to see conbweb/mold them I start to acclimatize them which takes  care of it.

--------------------
How I make and preserve tea

Consuming consumes a man That was never a purpose of life To only crave for material joys Is believing the lie - Mellow Mood

OfflineGlazedHazels

Re: 50% quartz aquarium gravel seedling mix [Re: SFS96]
    #26859307 - 08/02/20 07:17 PM (9 days, 13 hours ago)

I currently have some seedlings on broiled and sifted cactus soil but I see cobweb growing from the seeds. Next time I'll try soaking them for an hour in diluted Hydrogen Peroxide. The cobweb seems more prevalent on one packet of seeds vs the others. One box has recovered by its dose of dilute H2O2 but the others need it everyday and lids off a couple of hours.

Next time I'm looking into organic copper fungicide.

OfflineDancingWolf
FluffButt

Loc: 8B - Gulf Coast
Re: 50% quartz aquarium gravel seedling mix [Re: GlazedHazels] * 1
    #26859388 - 08/02/20 07:51 PM (9 days, 12 hours ago)

50% vermiculite, 40% coco coir, 10% dirt. You can toss in some fine gravel too and top dress with sand if its a desert cactus. I use this general recipe for all of my cactus seeds.

I don't nuke my soil anymore, it causes more problems than it solves. A healthy soil mix will usually prevent any bad fungus and molds from growing. More sun is also likely needed if you have that spider web stuff growing across the surface of the dirt. Copper sulfate misting will help but its no solution; you need to transplant everything into better dirt if you have a mold that is killing plants. The fungus that covers the ground will wipe out a tray in under a day, I lost hundreds of seedlings to it. :frown:

Not sure what region you are in but Trichocereus seeds like 75-85F to germinate and grow in. Its 95+ here and I deem it too hot to be growing new seedlings, though I did sow a "test" tray of super pedro today because I don't know for sure and intend to find out.

InvisibleLifeUnderAwno
I'm a teapot

Loc: growing out of perlite
Re: 50% quartz aquarium gravel seedling mix [Re: DancingWolf]
    #26862649 - 08/04/20 03:07 PM (7 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

DancingWolf said:Copper sulfate misting will help but its no solution;

Copper sulfate is a solution, and no solution!

GREAT Trichocereus/general cactus info in your post by the way. :sunny: Maybe you could give the Trichos you planted a shade cover of some kind to drop the temperature.

Last time I started Trichocereus seeds, I put them in a tupperware with rockwool. I would say that it is not the best substrate for seed starting cacti, but it certainly works and takes a lot more abuse than other substrates. It also does not usually give way to fungus gnats specifically.

OfflineGlazedHazels

Re: 50% quartz aquarium gravel seedling mix [Re: DancingWolf]
    #26863382 - 08/04/20 10:04 PM (7 days, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

DancingWolf said:
50% vermiculite, 40% coco coir, 10% dirt. You can toss in some fine gravel too and top dress with sand if its a desert cactus. I use this general recipe for all of my cactus seeds.

I don't nuke my soil anymore, it causes more problems than it solves. A healthy soil mix will usually prevent any bad fungus and molds from growing. More sun is also likely needed if you have that spider web stuff growing across the surface of the dirt. Copper sulfate misting will help but its no solution; you need to transplant everything into better dirt if you have a mold that is killing plants. The fungus that covers the ground will wipe out a tray in under a day, I lost hundreds of seedlings to it. :frown:

Not sure what region you are in but Trichocereus seeds like 75-85F to germinate and grow in. Its 95+ here and I deem it too hot to be growing new seedlings, though I did sow a "test" tray of super pedro today because I don't know for sure and intend to find out.

Thanks I'll give it a try, will the seedlings be okay for 6 months in that mix? You're darn right that it's too hot to germinate, I lost many seeds before I figured that out. Only in a room with AC is this possible at this time of year.

Can seedlings take 6 hours of direct sun through a shade cloth?

I have seedlings that weren't pushed flush with the soil when they were planted. Many seeds have germinated upside down and their root arcs a ways until they plant in the soil.  Will they tug themselves into position or do I need to interfere?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon Coir, Perlite, San Pedro, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden