Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Loc: W-Europe
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #26191607 - 09/16/19 02:05 PM (10 months, 20 days ago)

I took some S. tortuosum cuttings a couple of days ago. The plants were getting a bit lanky, and after the trim they won't take in as much space in my grow chamber once I have to bring them indoors again.

Also, the succulents didn't seem to enjoy the exclusively artificial light all that much last winter. I can find the cuttings a place in front of a window to see if they'll do better there. And if I should loose some of the older plants, I can fall back on those cuttings.

Today I discovered one of the cuttings is flowering, the one in the middle of the picture! Hopefully it will strike root and will continue to flower. And hopefully the plants will grow more flowers as well.

So like the South-African farmer pointed out in the video above, I will give the cuttings the impression that they're about to die and leave them to callous. I was planning to wait for about a week, unless someone recommends a different duration? I know these succulents keep for a long time before losing turgidity..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Poison Drink]
    #26194134 - 09/17/19 05:52 PM (10 months, 19 days ago)

I came to realize that I should have removed the lower leaves of the cuttings. I did just now and will leave them be a while longer for the cuts to callous. This gave me a small amount of plant material which I prepared for fermentation. While handling the cuttings I discovered at least two other flowers. Hopefully this won't delay or prevent the rooting of the cuttings though. Recently I experimented again with commercial Kanna and definitely found it enjoyable, so I will make an effort to expand my succulent collection.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26298754 - 11/04/19 05:42 PM (9 months, 2 days ago)

I took my succulents back indoors again as it was raining days on end and getting fairly cold during the night. Most of the Kanna cuttings made it but I accidentally snapped off some pieces while handling the pots, so I pushed those into the soil hoping they will root without callousing.

The outdoor D. bosseranum had a lot of dried seed pods which I harvested. No idea if it still contains a lot of seeds though, since the pods open up when it rains to disperse the seeds. The indoor D. bosseranum looks lush and green in comparison.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Poison Drink] * 1
    #26309775 - 11/09/19 06:52 PM (8 months, 28 days ago)

One of the S. tortuosum plants started flowering again indoors. An oscillating fan might have accomplished pollination..

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #26310797 - 11/10/19 04:01 AM (8 months, 28 days ago)

Nice, PD!
It does look like pods are gonna form below those spent flowers, I might give your fan tek a try haha.

Here are some young seedlings from the seeds I harvested on my plant. Check-out the weird one with a single cotyledon.

And my bigger plant, starting to bloom again now:

--------------------
Trade List

Edited by MeanGreen (11/10/19 05:42 AM)

OfflineCaster
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: MeanGreen]
    #26321525 - 11/15/19 05:49 AM (8 months, 23 days ago)

Seed pod forming?

nice pictures everyone :smile:

InvisibleJohnny Dont
500 Don'ts of Knife Safety

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Caster]
    #26321754 - 11/15/19 09:18 AM (8 months, 22 days ago)

Mine didn't seem to grow to much over the last year

--------------------
I have left life and loves behind me, to be blown about as the sea desires, to have the freedom of the open air, and to be witness to the making of the world.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Johnny Dont] * 1
    #26706934 - 05/30/20 12:51 PM (2 months, 11 days ago)

My S. tortuosum plants have been outdoors for about a month now. I think they might receive a bit too much sun because the leaves are yellowish, even though they just receive a couple of hours of direct morning sun. I only have a very sunny terrace available, otherwise I would have put them somewhere more shady. These are hard grown plants, that's why they're rather small for their age. But they'll manage.

The D. bosseranum has survived winter indoors as well. I don't think these plants will get a lot bigger than this.

I planted some S. tortuosum cuttings and also sowed some D. bosseranum seeds in the cacti grafts planter as cover crops. These are growing much faster than my hard grown plants because they get organic fertilizer on a regular basis and get less direct sun. The S. tortuosum noticeably grows more weedy.

I aquired some other Sceletium spp. seeds about half a year ago and started growing them at the start of winter. They supposedly are winter growers, but in these parts of the world they stay mostly dormant. The seedlings had a growth spurt the last couple of weeks. I also germinated the remaining seeds a month or two ago, so there are a couple younger seedlings in between.

Only one S. emarcidum seed had germinated, but it's the fastest growing one. Maybe it being alone in the pot might have something to do with it as well. It has wider leafs compared to S. tortuosum.

S. subvelutinum has long, narrow leaves.

The next two are variants of S. tortuosum I believe. Sceletium sp. SB 661 and S. joubertii.

And lastly S. nova. Maybe this is a variant of S. tortuosum as well. A lot is unclear in the taxonomy of these succulents.

I also ordered S. rigidum seeds, but sadly none germinated.

InvisibleGrey Fox

#26707303 - 05/30/20 04:51 PM (2 months, 11 days ago)

Beautiful work Poison Drink!  Thanks for sharing your progress with us.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Offlinehandeloh
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26736173 - 06/11/20 09:42 AM (1 month, 30 days ago)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I started with bosseranum this year, inspired by your tests :thumbup:

How did you get your hands on these Sceletium spp? Are you going to do assays on them as well?

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Poison Drink] * 1
    #26832041 - 07/19/20 09:01 AM (23 days, 23 hours ago)

Most of the outdoor S. tortuosum are flowering. I wonder if there's a native insect capable of pollinating them. I did already spot some activity so fingers crossed.

These D. bosseranum are still chugging along. I believe they're about two years old.

The cacti grafts planter ground cover is doing great as well.

And the various Sceletium spp. are still indoors in a mini greenhouse. I'm thinking about taking some cuttings and separating them into their own pot. That way I can try to slowly acclimate (some of) them to outdoor conditions.

Anyone else growing any of these succulents this year?

InvisibleShroomAnon
Old head

Loc: NW Eng Flag
    #26844774 - 07/25/20 04:55 PM (17 days, 15 hours ago)

:camping:

--------------------
na

InvisibleShroomAnon
Old head

Loc: NW Eng Flag
    #26844785 - 07/25/20 05:01 PM (17 days, 15 hours ago)

hi PD,
they look lovely. hope to have few nice kanna meself in future

like this fella vids. NE accents are v calming

--------------------
na

OfflineRatsboggleBiologic
Full-Time Lab Rat
Other

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: ShroomAnon]
    #26852664 - 07/29/20 11:22 PM (13 days, 9 hours ago)

Great pictures here, Poison Drink. Can't wait to get my paws on some Sceletium seeds.

--------------------
This message is brought to you by The Rats of Ratsboggle Biological Laboratories and in no way, shape, or form, represents the ideas or intentions of the governing Institutional Review Board. Complaints can be filed at your local sewer-mail system, or the dumpster located at the rear of The Lab. For questions and positive-reward donations, please contact The Rats directly by email or PM. Thank you!

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Official Sceletium tortuosum (Kanna), Delosperma bosseranum and other Sceletium spp. Thread [Re: RatsboggleBiologic]
    #26873362 - 08/10/20 03:33 PM (1 day, 16 hours ago)

At the request of some friendly shroomerites, I have changed the title of this thread so that more people will be able to find it and share cultivation experiences.

I believe some of my Kanna flowers might have been pollinated, as there's a bulging under the withered flower. Last year the same thing happened indoors, where they only had an oscillating fan blowing on them. Sadly nothing came of it. Now the plants are outdoors and could have been pollinated by insects, so fingers crossed!

@RatsboggleBiologic: It shouldn't be too hard finding Kanna seeds. I think the shelf life of these seeds isn't too bad, so if they're still somewhat fresh, you should be able to germinate them! I vaguely remember keeping some seeds for half a year and still having some pop up. And they were bought from a vendor so who knows how old they were before I got them.

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Official Sceletium tortuosum (Kanna), Delosperma bosseranum and other Sceletium spp. Thread [Re: Poison Drink]
    #26874573 - 08/11/20 09:44 AM (22 hours, 37 minutes ago)

I hope you get some seeds there Poison Drink!  Thanks for continuing to update this thread with new info.  I love to see the progress with your plants and to hear what new insights you're learning about them.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden