Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Air Pump, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Taking casings out of container before fruiting
    #2684892 - 05/16/04 02:11 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

A friend has a few casings that are going on their third flush and he decided to take them out of the container and sit them on layer of 50/50 instead of putting them back into the container after dunking.

He noticed a little bit of straw that is not completely whited out with myc. Just little yellow bitts here and there. The question is do any of you think this is going to be a problem with contams or do you think they will be fine. He has never tried doing this and hasnt had problems with contams in the past,but he was just curious to see how it would effect his yields.

Thanks,
MYKEY

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Taking casings out of container before fruiting [Re: Mykey]
    #2684935 - 05/16/04 02:22 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Some people do this and report good results (more surface are for pinning makes sense), but I have never tried it. A note about the exposed straw, I do have experience with this, as does a good friend of mine. It can be a prime candidate for contamination, this I know.

It should be ok provided the environment is clean, but I will never chance leaving exposed straw in the open again. Neither will my friend who lost many a casing due to this...

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Taking casings out of container before fruiting [Re: ATWAR]
    #2684972 - 05/16/04 02:34 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks ATWAR, I kinda thought he was putting them at a bit of a risk myself when I saw the little yellow spots of straw. He does have a very clean environment inside his glass fruiting chamber. He uses a hepa filtered air pump setup and pumps a pretty stiff mix of h2o2/h2o into the chamber every few hours via an ultrasonic mist to try and keep things clean. This has worked very well for him in the past,but I still believe he is tempting fate with the exposed straw. I guess only time will tell. He figures he hasnt got much to lose since this is the third and probably final flush he will try to get out of those casings.

Thanks
MYKEY

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Taking casings out of container before fruiting [Re: Mykey]
    #2685036 - 05/16/04 02:50 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Just like how people get away without sterilizing or pasteurizing their manure. It can be done but it is all about minimizing your risks. It sounds as if your friend has a clean environment, but there are still risks involved.

I also agree, he doesn't have much to lose since they have probably almost flushed out. Except perhaps a huge bloom of the green meanies :frown:
Which is exactly what happened to my friend as well. Cross-contamination then becomes the major problem...

And finally, someone got my name right! It's not atwar, Atwar, etc... My name is ATWAR:grin: I will hook you up...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Air Pump, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation