Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The right time to harvest [Re: Vylie]
    #26850093 - 07/28/20 02:59 PM (17 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

Vylie said:
Quote:

laughingdog said:
When someone walks away from us they aren't really getting smaller, etc.

How do you know that?If, for example, you are living in a simulation ....

Well in your case your brain would get smaller, if it were possible for it to get any smaller.

Supposing its all a simulation changes nothing. If nothing is separate or real, again nothing really shrinks, (same as 'objects' in dreams) and further more if all is one there is no outside reference point from which to make absolute measurements.

--------------------
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.” or  “Science advances one funeral at a time.”
― Max Planck

"The situation is hopeless, but not serious."

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend,
inside of a dog its too dark to read."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineThe Blind Ass
Foolishly Happy
Male User Gallery

Re: The right time to harvest [Re: laughingdog]
    #26850104 - 07/28/20 03:05 PM (17 days, 16 hours ago)

I’ve been caught red handed

:futuramamario:

--------------------
Give me Liberty caps - or -  give me death caps

OfflineVylie
The more you know
Other
Re: The right time to harvest [Re: The Blind Ass]
    #26850180 - 07/28/20 03:54 PM (17 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

The Blind Ass said:
You misunderstand (or haven’t actually read any suttas on) the doctrine of an annata, annica, & ducca - in lieu of the doctrine of interdependent origination they are meaningless.

I haven’t read them. If I had to pick up a religion, I would choose the Brahman, Atman, and Maya setup. It’s funny that the two creator-like and reliable entities have masculine names (other options would be Scatman and Batman), while the illusion/trick/instability has a feminine name.

Regardless of how it might seem, what you, Rahz, and laughingdog wrote about Buddhism doesn’t contradict with what I saw on my trips.

It supports it. Considering what I saw, it would be a bit shocking if I didn’t get used to it in the last eight months.

In a way, everyone to whom I talked about it supported it.

Instead of discussing it in public what I saw, or "knew" from my heart, about a hundred times, let me tell you an example.

What if the flaws of science aren’t there due to a limitation of people? What if they are there on purpose?

Probably everyone knows it here what a lucid dream is. Most likely, you know that although some people have them spontaneously, most people don’t, but methods exist to achieve lucid dreaming.

A well-known one is the reality check. One has to check it many times during the day how the watch looks on their wrist. The goal is to do it so often that one will do it even in their dreams. During the day, the watch looks normal. In the dream, it looks messed up. The messed up watch allows one to know they are dreaming.

In the Inception movie, the protagonist’s reality check was the forever spinning metal.

What if there is a level of dreaming that seems more real? In such a dream, the watch looks normal, one cannot penetrate their palm with their finger, and cannot fly without buying a ticket and getting on a plane.

What if my reality check in such a dream is the stupidity of science and humanity’s ignorance toward it? As far as I know myself, I would pick up this kind of reality check. I would because I don’t have a watch, and I don’t like doing repetitive tasks, but I think a lot. Sooner or later, I would notice it.

(An issue might be the alien-praying mantis-robot, and its BFF, the demon-flash eater plant-alien. I’m not sure where they are and what are they waiting for, although, they came only a few times of a hundred trips.

Moreover, I might have become a victim of my stereotypes. What if they are vegetarians?

Well, I tend to turn into a plant during my trips. But when I am in that form, they should run away. I’m more worried about the scenario when I’m not the plant, and they are not vegetarians.)

By the way, Kali is Brahman.

Edited by Vylie (07/28/20 03:55 PM)

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #26850191 - 07/28/20 03:58 PM (17 days, 15 hours ago)

Wait 100,000 more years or so.

Of course, we already have the technology to fight off an alien invasion, so uh... Depending on the type of harvesting we're talking about, I guess it's already too late.

OfflineVylie
The more you know
Other
    #26850214 - 07/28/20 04:20 PM (17 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

laughingdog said:
Quote:

Vylie said:
How do you know that?If, for example, you are living in a simulation ....

Well in your case your brain would get smaller, if it were possible for it to get any smaller.

When someone goes offensive on a forum for no reason, everyone knows what’s small and who is frustrated about it.

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26850250 - 07/28/20 04:45 PM (17 days, 14 hours ago)

you are right
i should be content with my stupidity
and flaunt it
then no one will feel threatened

Lets see, 7 out of 10 science fiction movies say its time for us to be harvested,
so it must be true.

And John Lilly talked to the aliens,
so we need have no doubts.

But who wouldn't mind a little more mental power?
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be for sale.

Some say micro-dosing helps,
but who knows?
Then again we may get harvested first.

--------------------
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.” or  “Science advances one funeral at a time.”
― Max Planck

Edited by laughingdog (07/28/20 05:04 PM)

OfflineVylie
The more you know
Other
    #26850990 - 07/29/20 12:46 AM (17 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

laughingdog said:
you are right
i should be content with my stupidity
and flaunt it
then no one will feel threatened

Look.

A Hellen philosopher already figured out one cannot tell whether the spoon brakes when you put half of it under the water or is it an optical illusion. It cannot be told because anything one puts next to the spoon seems broken too.

I don’t remember who it was. It would be easy to bluff they were a skeptic but deep inside my mind, I think they might have been someone from the stoic school. 

Anyway, I don’t believe it anymore that history happened and these people existed. Philosophy and logic are universal. It doesn’t matter who said it. The truth is all that matters.

When I said you can’t even tell whether the person who walks away gets smaller for real or not, I wasn’t arguing with what you said. It was a confirmation of what you wrote that our senses provide us with a distorted perception of reality.

As soon as you realize your perception is distorted, you can’t even take the opposite of it granted. All you know is you can’t tell it anymore whether they become smaller or not.

Let’s avoid getting personal in philosophical debate (or any debate).

Although I have a desire to join another reality, and the praying mantis is one of my favorite animals, I’m not on the side of the alien robot praying mantis.

I had about 5-8 scary trips of a hundred when I "knew" this was a fake reality I created as a last attempt to survive an attack of such an entity. The first time it seemed more like a robot spider (another favorite animal of me).

It was right after the first time I found this article:

https://www.dailygrail.com/2019/10/disembodied-eyes-an-investigation-into-the-ontology-of-entheogenic-entity-encounters/

But most of the time (95%), what I see is relaxing for me.

OnlineThe Blind Ass
Foolishly Happy
Male User Gallery

#26850992 - 07/29/20 12:48 AM (17 days, 6 hours ago)

you took what happened in a psychedelic trip literally?

Why?  I hope you don’t also take your dreams literally.  If so - It would seem you’ve missed the point and are off to the races. Beware of  Fixating on something that is actually nothing - or symbolic for something in your day to day conscious life - at best.

Why would you jump the shark like that?

Maybe I misunderstood the later part of your post - if so just ignore this and I will too.

Anyways, just because perception isn’t always 100% reliable doesn’t mean it isn’t reliable at all - more so than that, we can compensate to correct for misperceptions -  that’s the good news.  If you believe otherwise you’ve just dug yourself into a solipsistic hell that I can’t say I’m envious of, lol.

--------------------

Edited by The Blind Ass (07/29/20 01:00 AM)

OfflineVylie
The more you know
Other
    #26851009 - 07/29/20 12:58 AM (17 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

The Blind Ass said:
I hope you don’t also take your dreams literally.

Why do you hope that?

Quote:

The Blind Ass said:
It would seem you’ve missed the point and are off to the races.  Beware of  Fixating on something that is actually nothing.

How do you know what the point is, and what’s nothing?

OnlineThe Blind Ass
Foolishly Happy
Male User Gallery

#26851012 - 07/29/20 01:00 AM (17 days, 6 hours ago)

I know the nature of dreams and psychedelic trips - not what the imagery of your dream or hallucinations  content represents or means to you specifically .  Good luck to you!  Beware of delusion.

--------------------

OfflineVylie
The more you know
Other
    #26851017 - 07/29/20 01:09 AM (17 days, 6 hours ago)

That’s also why instead of the outdated marketing crap like this:

I created the standardized international ISO-885937 system that’s backed up with science and lacks any commercial interest.

It helps the newbies choose the right variety.

OfflineVylie
The more you know
Other
    #26851019 - 07/29/20 01:11 AM (17 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

The Blind Ass said:
I know the nature of dreams and psychedelic trips - not what the imagery of your dream or hallucinations  content represents or means to you specifically .  Good luck to you!  Beware of delusion.

Then you might also know that synchronicity is considered a confirmation that one is on the right path.

In the last year, the frequency and the intensity of the synchronicity in my life skyrocketed.

OnlineThe Blind Ass
Foolishly Happy
Male User Gallery

#26851024 - 07/29/20 01:18 AM (17 days, 6 hours ago)

Good night. 😘

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#26851510 - 07/29/20 10:23 AM (16 days, 21 hours ago)

I liked those descriptions for your ISO-885937 project.
hahahaha!

--------------------

OfflineVylie
The more you know
Other
Re: The right time to harvest [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26857218 - 08/01/20 12:26 PM (13 days, 19 hours ago)

Hello Rahz, The Blind Ass, laughingdog,

when I was thinking about what you wrote, a question arose.

If the self is an idea or a result of distorted perception in Buddhism, then does Buddhism say or suggest that there is only one consciousness?

I’ve never heard that Buddhism said that but if the self isn’t real then there aren’t many other options.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#26857288 - 08/01/20 01:20 PM (13 days, 18 hours ago)

mental objects include:
sensations
perceptions
extended associative memories
progressions
language
ideas
attitudes
personality constructs and learned routines, etc.

you can call all of it IDEAS.

buddhism - in abhidhamma, refers to all of them as mental objects, and , regardless of the extent of each (i.e. how many brain cells are actuvated during the mental object's brief presence in the mind/brain) they are all equal, made of groups of related neurons firing in a particular complexity that matches the aggregate of sensation and memory involved.

to be more clear, a particular combination of sensations, combine in an experience and will be linked in memory associatively with other memories that correspond very closely. and they will be linked in memory to experiences preceding and following in time.

we can observe --- the mind can observe, the appearance and fading away of mental objects. One linked to the next and the next and the next.

what is called the ego, what we become defensive about, is not a single thing but many things (ideas), each of which we associate with some defensive habits (ideas). However if you wish you could say that the ego is all of your defenses.

but that is a do thing not a what thing.

there is no single area of the brain that houses the what of defensive behavior, if there were then you could say the ego is here.
many crackpot scientists will rush to the amygdala and declare that this almond shaped mass of neurons is the ego because of all the emotional connectivity. That is a fallacy. emotional connectivity is not the same as defensive behavior. behavior of this type is learned, but it is so common, that we all have at least some ego. some invested automatic defenses. Sometimes it is a life saving thing, so we should not demonize defenses, while we also need relief from the froth that defensiveness makes constraining our life.

letting go after a great series of yoga and meditation sessions - or letting go on mushrooms or whatever may lead to an ego-loss experience with no defensive behavior for  a while, and it is truly delicious.

ego is not a distorted perception. it is a distorted sense of self importance, making excuses for defensive habits.

--------------------

OfflineVylie
The more you know
Other
Re: The right time to harvest [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26857320 - 08/01/20 01:52 PM (13 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
mental objects include:
sensations
perceptions
extended associative memories
progressions
language
ideas
attitudes
personality constructs and learned routines, etc.

OMG, when I saw your list, for a moment, I thought you were quoting the page I read today afternoon.

"You may experience any of the following:

Sense of transcending time or space
Strange plants or plantlike forms
The universe of formless vibration
Strange machines
Alien music
Alien languages, understandable or not
Intelligent entities in a variety of forms"

They are quite similar, aren’t they?

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
ego is not a distorted perception. it is a distorted sense of self importance, making excuses for defensive habits.

How could anyone who isn’t me know whether my sense of my importance is distorted?

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#26857439 - 08/01/20 03:23 PM (13 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

You could use them as food or you could use their collective consciousness like a computer.

An alien species that could come here would already be producing the most ideal food for themselves. They would also have computers that dwarf humanity. No guarantees but the idea they would need or want to harvest us is the more romantic idea.

Quote:

It doesn’t change the fact the special relativity cannot be applied to them. The theory is based on a hypothesis about light. If it cannot be applied to light, then what can it be applied to?

The constant speed of the light is a hypothesis.

Hmm. I though special relativity could be applied to anything that was moving. At any rate, utility is the main purpose of theories. There is also the philosophical side, and while it's subjective science does play a part in shaping the way people think about the world.

Quote:

If it expands at the same speed, it violates that law due to the potential energy. It is working against gravity. It should slow down just like you slow down after you jump. If you exceed the escape velocity, you will still slow down.

If it expands at an increasing speed, it also violates that law due to the increasing kinetic energy of the objects.

I would say it appears to violate known laws. There are various candidates to explain this phenomena, or perhaps it's some un thought of reason. More testing and discovery is necessary. Either the laws are wrong or there are unseen effects that can explain within the context of scientific law.

Quote:

So, if the parts didn’t move compared to each other, then why is there a redshift?

Objects in the observable universe do move relative to one another, but not at the speed of light. The relationships must be less than the speed of light in order to observe a redshift, but with enough distance the relative movement could exceed the speed of light in which case that light will never reach us. I assume we don't have the full gradient because the universe is only 13.8 billion years old. At the perimeter we should occasionally see new/old stars coming to light.

Quote:

Do you have an example of a language getting more complex?

I would compare it to programming languages which are ultimately compiled into machine language. Words and usage seem like things which must evolve through practice even though there is/was a platform which is both more static and more complex.

Quote:

It’s interesting but it doesn’t explain why would a Buddhist teach others to Buddhism if there are no selves or "others".

Because the illusion of self causes suffering and the objective of Buddhism is liberation from suffering.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

“Everyone's path is different, and that is fine. We either sit or walk.”

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#26857497 - 08/01/20 04:02 PM (13 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

Vylie said:
Hello Rahz, The Blind Ass, laughingdog,

when I was thinking about what you wrote, a question arose.

If the self is an idea or a result of distorted perception in Buddhism, then does Buddhism say or suggest that there is only one consciousness?

I’ve never heard that Buddhism said that but if the self isn’t real then there aren’t many other options.

I think in Buddhism consciousness is considered a formation, but also an impersonal one so it could be fair to say there is only one consciousness, though at risk of a mystical misunderstanding. Maybe more correct to say simply that the only attribute of consciousness is that which it is called.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

“Everyone's path is different, and that is fine. We either sit or walk.”

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The right time to harvest [Re: Rahz]
    #26857505 - 08/01/20 04:10 PM (13 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:

Quote:

It’s interesting but it doesn’t explain why would a Buddhist teach others to Buddhism if there are no selves or "others".

Because the illusion of self causes suffering and the objective of Buddhism is liberation from suffering.

I agree, Vylie , it is contradictory. It is like telling other characters in a dream, that it is all a dream. Except in this case waking up means disappearing. And as everything in a dream is in a sense already oneself (one's own fantasy) simply realizing its a dream should relieve the necessity of taking any action.

--------------------
― Max Planck

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology