Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNamyellit
Stranger

Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison * 4
    #26843952 - 07/25/20 03:13 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

20 years wasted

Who is William Leonard Pickard?

Article

July 24, 2020|By Russell Hausfeld

(July 25, 2020 / 12:38AM) Neşe Devenot, David Nickles, and Brian Normand contributed to this story.

On July 24, 2020, a Memorandum and Order was filed in the United States District Court of Kansas, in the case of United States of American [sic] vs. William Leonard Pickard. This Memorandum and Order states that Pickard’s motion for compassionate release is granted.

The decision comes after Pickard spent 20 years in prison for conspiracy to manufacture, distribute, and dispense LSD. Pickard and his partner, Clyde Apperson, were arrested in 2000 while moving what was alleged to be their LSD laboratory across Kansas, and they were convicted in 2003. Pickard was given two life sentences and Apperson—who is still incarcerated—was sentenced to 30 years of imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

At his sentencing DEA Special Agent in Charge William J. Renton, Jr. stated, “The proof of the significance of these prosecutions and convictions lies in the fact that LSD availability in the United States was reduced by 95% in the two years following their arrest.” At the 2008 World Psychedelic Forum, writer Jon Hanna—presenting on behalf of Pickard—questioned the DEA’s claims.

While in prison, Pickard wrote and published The Rose of Paracelsus: On Secrets and Sacraments, which is widely regarded as a masterpiece of psychedelic literature.

Join Our Newsletter

Independent drug journalism. In your inbox.

Enter your email address
          JOIN
Pickard’s motion for a reduction of sentence was made in light of his age (74), his deteriorating medical condition (listed as chronic kidney disease, hypertension, anemia, hypothyroidism, cataracts, posterior vitreous detachment, prostatic hyperplasia, vitamin D deficiency and pre-diabetes), the risk he faces from the COVID-19 virus, and the positive role he has played in writing about the fentanyl epidemic.

“The court finds that a reduction in sentence is consistent with the sentencing factors set forth in § 3553(a),” according to the Memorandum and Order, which goes on to state:

“Pickard’s offenses were serious, but having spent two decades in prison he has been seriously punished. The government correctly points out that Pickard has prior drug convictions, but does not challenge the defendant’s argument (Dkt. 849, at 31-32) that the First Step Act’s change to sentences for drug crimes would substantially changed [sic] the treatment of his prior offenses. The fact that Congress has changed how such offenses are treated now is relevant to the determination whether a defendant faces disparities among similarly-situated defendants under § 3553(a).” Note: § 3553(a) is the US code for Imposition of a Sentence.

The Memorandum and Order acknowledges Pickard’s assertions that—at 74 years of age—he does not pose any significant risk to society and has engaged in substantial efforts at rehabilitation, and notes that the government plaintiff has not challenged these assertions. The court concluded that the 20 years served are sufficient for meeting the goals of incapacitation, deterrence, retribution, and rehabilitation.

The decision also focuses on the Bureau of Prison’s (BOP’s) efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19 within its prisons:

“The court concludes that Pickard is at greater risk than the average inmate of suffering a severe illness should he contract COVID-19, and further that he faces some risk of exposure to the virus. Unfortunately, the optimistic portrayal of BOP efforts to limit the spread of the virus, as documented in the government’s Response, has been overtaken by events. Nationwide, the BOP has completed 33,684 tests, with 9,936 showing a positive result. Pickard is incarcerated at FCI Tucson, Arizona, where 11 inmates and staff members have been diagnosed with the virus. No inmates or staff have died of the virus. Social distancing within the prison is difficult.” (emphasis added)

This acknowledgement of the BOP’s inability to protect inmates from the threats of pandemic in the Memorandum underscores the importance of abolition in this moment. While Pickard will soon be free, the reality is that prisoners, many of them Black, Brown, and poor people will continue to face the horrors of incarceration, now magnified by the pandemic. With COVID-19 running rampant through America’s carceral facilities, many prisoners of the war on [some people who use certain] drugs are now potentially facing death sentences for minor offenses.

“The § 3553(a) factors support reducing [the] defendant’s sentence to time served, to be followed by a five-year term of supervised release,” the Memorandum and Order reads.

Mike Dupler—a New York City-based entrepreneur and a good friend of Pickard—told Psymposia in an email that he, along with a small group of “helpers” and countless supporters around the world, have been doing what they can for Pickard’s petition for “reduction in sentence and compassionate release.” Dupler became involved in helping Pickard and his attorney because he could not bear the thought of living in a country where a non-violent drug offense could result in a life sentence due to “mandatory sentencing,” he said.

“An injustice of this magnitude had to be addressed somehow and today the Judge did so,” Dupler said. “I was informed about the judge’s decision in Leonard’s case when I read his order this afternoon around 1PM EST. To say we are happy as happy can be is to put it mildly. I exchanged emails with Leonard’s attorney and she told me that she had a good cry today—tears of happiness. She and her former law partner (now deceased) had also represented Leonard at his trial 20 years ago.”

“I cannot wait to see him outside of the prison environment,” Dupler said.

Read the PDF  Order for Release- highlighted

____

(July 24, 2020 / 6:32PM) Julie Holland, M.D. (@BellevueDoc) is reporting that LSD-chemist and longtime drug war prisoner, William Leonard Pickard, is being released from prison. Pickard has been locked down since 2000 and was slated to serve two life sentences without parole.

Edited by Namyellit (07/25/20 03:15 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: Namyellit]
    #26844169 - 07/25/20 08:19 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Get on the dark web and start vending that Ergot Wine.

That shit is nuts. And the whole story behind this is nuts too, more twists than an Agatha Christie murder mystery

I’m still trying to fully understand what happened (from an unbiased POV), meaning things like the Lysergic story or people who hate Lysergic’s theories are biased. But that book is the most detailed info about it prolly

As far as I know his partner turned him in to the DEA

Btw a sheet (directly) from Pickard would have been $29

And I guess synthetic mesc being actually available is not a myth either:
Apperson (partner) reportedly manufactured synthetic mescaline. When authorities searched his Sunnyvale, California home, they found five drums of precursor chemicals needed to manufacture synthetic mescaline

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Edited by Fractal420 (07/25/20 08:44 AM)

Offlinetotally_not_virus
trust me

Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: Fractal420]
    #26844248 - 07/25/20 09:10 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

2020 is getting even more interesting :wellhellothere:

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: totally_not_virus] * 1
    #26844451 - 07/25/20 11:25 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I was just about to post about this.

Someone posted about it on FB and I thought it was some sort of bad joke/trolling because I'd never have guessed this man would be stepping outside once again.

I'm super surprised, and equally as stoked, to hear about his early release...Considering he had two life sentences.

Glad to hear the ol' man will be able to live out some of his last years not stuck in a cage.

-OM

--------------------

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: openmind] * 1
    #26845465 - 07/26/20 03:22 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I hope he makes one big, last pickard batch.

Also his name is VERY Star Trek

William Shatner Leonard Nimoy Jean Luc Pickard

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

InvisiblePsychoReactive
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cocalero
Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: Fractal420]
    #26845478 - 07/26/20 03:48 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

That is great news! Been reading about him and Neurosoup few years ago.

OfflineKman1898
Dr. Learn'd
 User Gallery

Loc: A Park
Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: PsychoReactive]
    #26846072 - 07/26/20 12:49 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

This article is written horribly. William Leonard Pickard is getting out but it’s confusing because Clyde Apperson.

Edited by Kman1898 (07/26/20 01:23 PM)

Offlinesk8fast
Tripping skater
 User Gallery

Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: openmind] * 1
    #26846112 - 07/26/20 01:10 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I had never heard of apperson before this, crystal cole didn't mention him in her verbal account of what happened, I haven't read her book yet. Unless I'm misremebering the guy's name that owned the silo and turned in pickard. He had immunity for the actual drug manufacture and was arrested after torturing crytals boyfriend. I always think about Pickard and him hiding in those fields every time I drive across kansas, Its the only thing that keeps my mind of how much driving 500 miles across kansas sucks

Edited by sk8fast (07/26/20 01:13 PM)

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: Kman1898]
    #26846126 - 07/26/20 01:17 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Kman1898 said:
Yeah unfortunately this article got it all wrong. William Leonard Pickard isn’t getting out. This is about his partner Clyde Apperson. They updated the article with a new beginning paragraph but left almost all the incorrect Information in the article about Leonard.

For real?

I just heard an up-date about Apperson getting out early too...

....but I have not seen anything that shows Pickard is not being released now?

I'm kinda confused...everything I've seen/read about over the past 24 hours has been in regards Pickard getting out with no mention of Apperson. But now Apperson is getting out and Pickard is not? How did you find out that Pickard is no longer being released?

Quote:

Update: (July 26, 2020 / 1:38 PM): Psymposia has confirmed that Clyde Apperson’s request to be released to home confinement prior to his October 11, 2028 release date has been approved, and he is currently at a residential reentry center in Seattle pending full release. Apperson was arrested in 2000 with William Leonard Pickard, and was sentenced to 30 years without the possibility of parole.
____

(July 25, 2020 / 12:38AM) On July 24, 2020, a Memorandum and Order was filed in the United States District Court of Kansas, in the case of United States of American [sic] vs. William Leonard Pickard. This Memorandum and Order states that Pickard’s motion for compassionate release is granted.

-OM

--------------------

Edited by openmind (07/27/20 12:07 PM)

OfflineKman1898
Dr. Learn'd
 User Gallery

Loc: A Park
Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: openmind] * 3
    #26846136 - 07/26/20 01:21 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Apparently the article was written horribly. I’ve found proof that he was approved for release in fact!!

William Leonard Pickard Order Of Release

--------------------
Difficulty has more to do with reading abillity and ability to precisely follow directions. You need no knowledge of chemistry whatsoever, you just need to understand some basic principles as simple in concept as: water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C. Otherwise all published syntheses of organic and inorganic compounds can be reproduced successfully by pretty nearly anyone with at least average intelligence. Problems always have to do with availability of materials, not esoteric knowledge.

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: Kman1898]
    #26846169 - 07/26/20 01:38 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup:

-OM

--------------------

InvisibleNifflerz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: sk8fast]
    #26846406 - 07/26/20 04:14 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sk8fast said:
I had never heard of apperson before this, crystal cole didn't mention him in her verbal account of what happened, I haven't read her book yet. Unless I'm misremebering the guy's name that owned the silo and turned in pickard. He had immunity for the actual drug manufacture and was arrested after torturing crytals boyfriend. I always think about Pickard and him hiding in those fields every time I drive across kansas, Its the only thing that keeps my mind of how much driving 500 miles across kansas sucks

I've always wanted to go tour the silo. Apparently some years ago the owners would allow you to if you called and set it up with them (and paid presumably). But that was years ago and I don't know if one still can.

--------------------

OfflineMycobro420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: Nifflerz]
    #26848584 - 07/27/20 06:51 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Amazing they deserve release. This was my favorite LSD case of all time just mind-blowing.i read the affidavit of pickard on the law library they were long an very detailed crazy story

InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: Mycobro420]
    #26848741 - 07/27/20 08:18 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

He's too old to gamble now

OfflineMikeTesserect
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: Namyellit]
    #26852973 - 07/30/20 05:16 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

the judge was prob even scratching their head wondering why they kept him in there lol. the system knew it was only a matter time

OfflineHighberger
Man with No Name
Male

Re: Breaking: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison [Re: MikeTesserect]
    #26860003 - 08/03/20 03:39 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

So happy. Ross ulbricht next

--------------------
Free Ross Ulbricht.
Legalize Psilocybin.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies