Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Spawning question
    #2684533 - 05/16/04 01:08 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

What is the best method for incorporating manure in a grow?
If I were to just put a dry crumbled layer of pasturized manure on top of crumbled PF cakes in a tupperware, and then incubate for a few days and birth would it work well? What if I cased the manure with wet verm?

I have tried reading teks on bulk and such but really can't get much from what they have.

Also, I see the importance of straw, and I could get if I need to, but is it really essential or would straight manure work?

If Mykey could help out in here would be good, because he knows pretty much exactly what I am doing and suggested using shit in the first place.

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Spawning question [Re: holio1]
    #2684826 - 05/16/04 01:59 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This is really quite simple to do holio. If you can get some manure from a farm field it is great ,but you can try the stuff in the bag just be aware that they sometimes have fungicide added.

You want the poo to be wet enough that it will support good colonization,but not muddy wet. Just add water untill you can squeeze it and get it to drip a little water. If it is sopping wet you will get shitty results.LOL-Now it has to be pasteurized. This is a simple process where you just put the wet poo into a oven pan and pop it into the oven for a couple of hours at around 175deg. It is very important to keep it at this temp! If the poo gets above 200deg you will get contams during colonization. If you your temps are too low you will not kill the bad stuff and will have wasted your time. In case you dont know pasteurization is a process which kills the bad stuff and leaves certain beneficial bacteria that will kill any undesireable intruders for a window of two weeks. If you do everything correctly you will be totally colonized by then and the myc will do a good job of protecting itself.

Now that you have your poo ready you just take your pf cakes and crumble them or cut them up with a cheese grater. I think the cheese grater is best because it finely chops the cake and provides many more sites of growth once you mix it into the poo. Now you just mix the cake bitts into the pasteurized poo at a ratio of about 1part cake bitts to 5 parts poo. You can go with more or less cake bitts, but just keep in mind that you have to be fully colonized by two weeks and the less you mix in,the slower it will finish.

You asked about the straw. If you are using cow poo you have to use straw because it will compact too much by itself and will colonize very poorly. Just mix it in before you add water and pasteurize. You want the mix to be nice and airy.  If you use horse poo,however,you dont have to add the straw since the poo has a very light grassy texture already. (this is probably the way to go if you can get it because it is just a bit easier)
****You want the old poo that has been in the field awhile,not the fresh stuff***

Once it is fully colonized you can certainly use a verm casing. Just wait until it is around 30-40 covered on top with myc before you put it into the fruiting chamber and initiate pinning.

Good Luck holio,I hope this helps you out!

MYKEY :goodluck:

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Re: Spawning question [Re: Mykey]
    #2685804 - 05/16/04 09:27 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

OK, so with horse poo I could just mix it straight with the cakes? I can get horse poo from a field, but then I would have to wait till the end of the week
How long will it be appox. from mixing the cakes with the poo to pinning?
Is it still a good idea to dunk the cakes before spawning?
If I case, would I do it after all of the poo has been colonized?

How much will this really increase yields? Mabye I will try it on my next grow, but you see, I am leaving at the end of June for much of the summer, so if this will end up adding a few weeks to my grow I don't think I'll be able.

I really can't thank you enough for all of your help

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation