Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemanic231
Stranger
Cake Casing
    #2680374 - 05/14/04 10:23 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

This little experiment was done on my second group of cakes ever to be birthed. I have decided that, although the crumble and case technique is much more effecient and allows for bigger flushes, something about the PF cakes, and the fact that it is a much "cleaner" method (less prone to contaminate), struck a chord in me. Due to this I have decided to stick primarily to cakes, and to invest most of my resources experimenting with methods to perfect the use of cakes. However this is besides the point. After my first set of cakes, I was hoping to apply the benefits of casing while still using a solid cake, while doing as little work as possible to greatly increase yeild. Through research, the only cake casing method I found was the double ended cake casing used in the origanal PF Tek (http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23593/pag/9). In addition to that, I decided to make up an experimental technique (not totally sure if it is original, but I have not seen it posted yet). In this experiment, I measured the size of the mouth of the jars used for the cakes, and managed to find a segment of pvc tube of equal diameter. I then cut it to equal height the cakes would soon be, plus an extra little bit (about 1/4 the size of the cakes, based on common casing teks). Upon birthing the six cakes, I dunked two of them, used the PF Tek method on another two, and put the last two inside the sized pvc tubes, and filled the rest of the tube with damp vermiculite, packing it gently, and then removing the tube, basically leaving the cakes perfectly covered in casing in all sides but the buttom, the top having the thickest layer. I then cold shocked each group of cakes, and waited for the yield. (I am leaving out most of the growing details, because it is pretty much a standard terrarium, just about perfect temp and RH. The final results were, the PF TEK method produced in all about 50% more than the basic cakes, and my casing method produced nearly double that! I am planning to do this experiment a few more times just for the sake of results. Any comments, or additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cake Casing [Re: manic231]
    #2680453 - 05/14/04 10:51 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I like when people do stuff like that. I've done most of them I just did the damp verm thing in the jar. I then found it wasn't needed. Check out something I came up with called the dunk and roll try to improve on it cause that is where I pretty much stopped and started doing work on grains and bulks.

This was the first dunk and roll cake done and the results were pretty consistent.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinemanic231
Stranger
Re: Cake Casing [Re: Magash]
    #2684530 - 05/15/04 11:07 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, I have heard of the dunk and roll, and I would like to commend you on thinking it up, it was quite a revolutionary idea. The main problem I had with it however (which is why I did not include it in the experiment), is that it simply never seemed to keep enough casing on the cake. That is the reason I used the pvc tube, because it seemed to distribute a substantial amount of casing on the cake, thicker on the top since that is where most of the shrooms are going to be coming out, and decreasing as it gets to the bottom. I'm not sure if the decreasing casing is a good thing, so I might try experimenting with another jar that is larger but in proportion to the cake. The effect of that would be the same amount of casing being distributed on all sides of the cake. Anyways, thanks for the support, and I shall continue with my experiments.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom