Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMadmonk
Stranger
Spores off of Tin Foil
    #2683171 - 05/15/04 05:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

What is the best way and cleanest to take a spore print off of Tin Foil? Very fine print and unable to just scrape off spores without possiblly tearing or ripping the tin foil. Fear of contamination.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

Re: Spores off of Tin Foil [Re: Madmonk]
    #2683260 - 05/15/04 05:40 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

In a glove box suck up your syringe full of sterile water inject over print into a sterile container and suck back up

--------------------

OfflineMadmonk
Stranger
Re: Spores off of Tin Foil [Re: FallenShroom]
    #2683396 - 05/15/04 06:20 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Should I let the print on the tin foil soak in the sterile water for a while or should I continually water inject over the print several times to break up the print?

OfflineChiLong
More machine elfthan man...

Loc: Twisted, moved to E-Ville
    #2683431 - 05/15/04 06:29 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You can use the tip of your syringe to scrape the spores off the foil, if you like.

InvisibleDieCommie

#2683513 - 05/15/04 06:52 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

just scrape some off the foil lightly, there very small youll get a bunch even if you dotn see them...

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
    #2683572 - 05/15/04 07:08 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Madmonk said:
Should I let the print on the tin foil soak in the sterile water for a while or should I continually water inject over the print several times to break up the print?

Who knows how sterile the Outside part of the foil is.I wouldnt do that.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: Spores off of Tin Foil [Re: ButterNut]
    #2683590 - 05/15/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Wrap the small flat piece of tinfoil in cling film. Pressure Cook for 20 minutes at 10PSI / 10 minutes 15PSI.

Let cool inside pressure cooker. Open pressure cooker, take out foil wrapped in cling film and then transfer to sterile glove box. Unwrap the foil inside the glovebox and proceed as normal.

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Re: Spores off of Tin Foil [Re: Xenophobic]
    #2683624 - 05/15/04 07:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Its not a good idea to PC your spores.

If you are going to just soak your foil in sterile water like you asked,I would just wipe down the outside of the foil with alchohol first.Then let it evaporate in your glovebox.I definattly wouldnt PC it with the spores on it.

I would just let the water squirt over the print a untill most of it is in the water.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2683634 - 05/15/04 07:25 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

ButterNut, lol

I meant PC the foil wrapped in cling film. Then do the spore print etc, from within the Glovebox.

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

#2683648 - 05/15/04 07:28 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

ok gotcha man.lol

he already has a print on foil though and wants to make a syringe out of it.but the print is light and wnt come off.

--------------------

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2683661 - 05/15/04 07:33 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

lmao I got the wrong end of the stick... Hmm... well he should have wrapped the print in sterilised cling film straight away to minimise contamination. The only thing you can do now that it's too late is to just keep everything as sterile as you can and go for it.

You learn by your mistakes afterall. I know I sure did.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2683676 - 05/15/04 07:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

This is exactly why I like wax paper... it is thicker than foil... and the spores come off... with the wax! It is sooooo easy. And, you can see the print through the paper!

As far as I am concerned, wax is the only way.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: Spores off of Tin Foil [Re: Rose]
    #2683699 - 05/15/04 07:43 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Wax paper is good, but if you do a spore print on tin foil which has a thin layer of honey on it, it's even better.

Honey is an excellent natural preservative (same as a bag of sugar will never get contaminated) and the spores even germenate sometimes in the case of Cubensis. The best way by far.

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #2683705 - 05/15/04 07:45 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I lightly scrape the tin foil, then spray water from syringe to wash all spores into glass. Even my lightest syringe,which looked like water,has produced.I do this in a glove box.
:print: :goodluck:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Re: Spores off of Tin Foil [Re: Rose]
    #2683713 - 05/15/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Tyvek is GREAT for printing on,and prints on Tyvek are very easy to make syringes out of.

--------------------

OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

#2683909 - 05/15/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Xenophobic said:
Wax paper is good, but if you do a spore print on tin foil which has a thin layer of honey on it, it's even better.

Honey is an excellent natural preservative (same as a bag of sugar will never get contaminated) and the spores even germenate sometimes in the case of Cubensis. The best way by far.

^^^ Are you serious on making a print on smeared honey you can not be serious with that coment. Atleast i hope now lol

--------------------

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2684034 - 05/15/04 09:11 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Completely serious. If you smear a thin layer of honey onto a sterilised piece of tin foil, then place the cap on top and let sit for 24 hours with a glass covering it, then wrapping the foil print in sterilised cling film, it's the best way ever.

I also thought the same as you the first time I thought about doing it, but I have never looked back, seriously.

All is needed then is to scrape the honey/spores off within a sterilised area and suck them up into a syringe with sterile water obviously. With Cubensis they will sometimes germenate on the honey and you suck up little bits of sterile mycelium too. Honey is a natural preservative don't forget, the same as you can leave a jar of honey uncapped in the most disgusting of places and it won't attract mold, same with sugar.

--------------------

Edited by Xenophobic (05/15/04 09:19 PM)

OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

#2684073 - 05/15/04 09:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Honey exhibits well-known resistance to microbial spoilage. The resistance has been attributed to a variety of characteristics of honey, mainly the sugar and hydrogen peroxide contents of honey. However, some honey samples exhibit additional antimicrobial activity that could not be explained by known honey components. Researchers at Cornell University have theorized that this antimicrobial activity as being produced by the naturally-occurring bacteria in honey. They presented their findings today at the annual IFT meeting in Chicago.

Bacteria were isolated from six types of U.S. honey and tested for activity against nine foodborne pathogens and spoilage microbes. The bacteria isolated from honey had significant anti-fungal and anti-bacterial activity. Listeria monocytogenes was the most sensitive bacterial pathogen to the honey bacterial isolates. Researchers speculate that some of honey?s antimicrobial activity may be due to compounds produced by the bacteria naturally found in honey. These compounds, when characterized, may have potential for food safety and food quality applications. Taken from
http://www.honey.com/pressrm/IFT/2003/safety_quality.html

I will have to try this experiment Xenophobic thank you let you know how it goes.

--------------------

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2684182 - 05/15/04 09:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

One point I forgot to mention, that you just pointed out from your browsing FallenShroom. It is also a natural anti-biotic.

Good luck FallenShroom, you will never look back!

--------------------

Anonymous

#2684370 - 05/15/04 10:30 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

shouldn't you sterilze the honey first? you also might get a germination problem too... they could germinate on the honey.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures