Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleTexas Honey BadgerM
No fucks given
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Spicemaster Texas
Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: christopera]
    #26828348 - 07/17/20 07:29 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah i am pretty shure you can
I rode a early `70s SC 500 when i was a kid, it was ridiculous
Only had a 4 speed tranny and it would easily loft the front wheel in 3rd gear
And i did not even have it "on the pipe":derdance:
I never got the balls to shift it in 4th gear
https://silodrome.com/yamaha-sc500/

--------------------

Some call me Paw 🐾

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
No fucks given

Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: Texas Honey Badger]
    #26829600 - 07/17/20 06:51 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Damnit i wanna talk motorcycles:crankey::biker:

--------------------

Some call me Paw 🐾

Onlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26829836 - 07/17/20 09:55 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I met the owner of Silodrome back before it got popular. He seems like a smart dude. He really turned that upscale blog space into something you make money off of. When I was building my RD I did a fair number of posts about it on my site and was drawing quite a bit of attention, but I never quite pulled off an article on his site. That would have been cool though.

I love those big air cooled smokers. Check out the BRC big bore conversions for modern 250's (KTMs). Absolute monsters. I actually know the owner of BRC as I lived in Alberta (though I met him in Oklahoma doing other motor sport stuff), but he builds some crazy motors. I tried to buy an inline 250 off of him but it was going to be like $6k just for the motor and I'd still have to get a controller for the electronic power valves. But he claimed 112hp out of 250cc's.

--------------------
Enjoy the process of your search without succumbing to the pressure of the result.

A Dorito is pizza, change my mind.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

I’m sorry it had to be me.

OfflineCapt. Flapjack
Mad Scientist

#26829886 - 07/17/20 10:37 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I used to work at a motorcycle shop and have seen and worked on a lot of bikes and mopeds, the thing you're gonna want to remember is that mopeds ARE great for what they are if you can find one cheap,but if you have to go over 45 mph on them you can count me out, the tires are tiny and if i have to stop suddenly I always feel like I'm gonna slide.

Everyone has their own advice and feelings, but I would strongly suggest that you go with a cheap 250cc bike, they're light as a feather and can handle some highway usage. working on them is easy, change the oil and filter, spark plugs, and air filter and you're basically set as long as the bike is in good shape and hasn't been abused.

A clutch isn't that scary, I actually feel safer with it, its my "oh shit" lever! Remember, if you're already talking about doing mods to a moped, you're gonna give yourself a headache trying to eek out more power and you'll lose the cheap insurance and registration fees, just buy a bike. And for the love of god take a MSF course, it'll teach you how to go from literally no riding experience to being proficient at slow speed maneuvers which are the ones that are the basis of a good rider.

Try and find a friend who has a small dirt bike or small motorcycle they would teach you how to ride on and go out to a dirt road, backyard, or empty parking lot and learn how to use the clutch, go up and down gears, and brake before you take the MSF course and you'll be way ahead of most people and will be able to focus on upping your proficiency instead of just learning how to keep the bike upright.

Onlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: Capt. Flapjack]
    #26829896 - 07/17/20 10:45 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Capt. Flapjack said:
I used to work at a motorcycle shop and have seen and worked on a lot of bikes and mopeds, the thing you're gonna want to remember is that mopeds ARE great for what they are if you can find one cheap,but if you have to go over 45 mph on them you can count me out, the tires are tiny and if i have to stop suddenly I always feel like I'm gonna slide.

Everyone has their own advice and feelings, but I would strongly suggest that you go with a cheap 250cc bike, they're light as a feather and can handle some highway usage. working on them is easy, change the oil and filter, spark plugs, and air filter and you're basically set as long as the bike is in good shape and hasn't been abused.

A clutch isn't that scary, I actually feel safer with it, its my "oh shit" lever! Remember, if you're already talking about doing mods to a moped, you're gonna give yourself a headache trying to eek out more power and you'll lose the cheap insurance and registration fees, just buy a bike. And for the love of god take a MSF course, it'll teach you how to go from literally no riding experience to being proficient at slow speed maneuvers which are the ones that are the basis of a good rider.

Try and find a friend who has a small dirt bike or small motorcycle they would teach you how to ride on and go out to a dirt road, backyard, or empty parking lot and learn how to use the clutch, go up and down gears, and brake before you take the MSF course and you'll be way ahead of most people and will be able to focus on upping your proficiency instead of just learning how to keep the bike upright.

This is precisely why I recommended an EX250. I have crashed my scooter more times than I care to count. It's a shitty little motorcycle and it only goes 35mph. The brakes suck, the suspension sucks, and besides the fuel mileage the only interesting thing about it is that you can put groceries under the seat. It's a pathetic existence really. An EX250 (Ninja) is five times the bike for 20% more money. Also, the MSF course (as I already mentioned) is truly awesome. If you buy a bike OP, do the MSF course! You have at least two recommendations in this thread already.

--------------------
Enjoy the process of your search without succumbing to the pressure of the result.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Loc: Deep in the system Flag
    #26830307 - 07/18/20 07:57 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

christopera said:
You have at least two recommendations in this thread already.

Make that three. I've taken several safety courses when it comes to riding and they're fucking awesome.

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

Offlinepineboy13
Stranger

Loc: texas Flag
Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #26830850 - 07/18/20 02:04 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I'm pretty sure mopeds are like fat chicks...fun to ride but don't let your friends see you on one.

Invisibletrees
 User Gallery

Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: pineboy13]
    #26830860 - 07/18/20 02:09 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Im pretty sure OP wont take any advice and hes gonna buy a chinese scooter thatll last only 500 miles

--------------------
Trees is dead, this is his mum posting

No fucks given

Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: pineboy13] * 1
    #26830862 - 07/18/20 02:10 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Oh boy i knew that would be posted:rofl2:

--------------------

Some call me Paw 🐾

OfflineNOUS333
Stranger Than You
I'm a teapot

Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: trees]
    #26832194 - 07/19/20 09:23 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

trees said:
Im pretty sure OP wont take any advice and hes gonna buy a chinese scooter thatll last only 500 miles

Nah im still weighing options. Not gonna jump into anything impulsively. 

Whatever i get has to have some kind of storage though.

No fucks given

Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: NOUS333]
    #26832215 - 07/19/20 09:35 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Buy my 2014 Yamaha FZ09
only 2000 miles for $4000.00
Pristeen condition:biker:
Only been wrecked once and the rider died:sad:

--------------------

Some call me Paw 🐾

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: NOUS333]
    #26833762 - 07/20/20 07:39 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

What about this?

--------------------

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Loc: Deep in the system Flag
Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: tyrannicalrex] * 1
    #26833777 - 07/20/20 07:54 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Please, no.

Three wheeled vehicles are the dumbest vehicles on the road. The offer none of the advantages of going one up or one down.

I mean, just look at it. It's the kind of machine only a nonce would ride.

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

No fucks given

Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #26833787 - 07/20/20 08:03 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Plus it looks like it would be dangerous
That is a cornering nightmare:picard:

--------------------

Some call me Paw 🐾

Onlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26833802 - 07/20/20 08:21 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Is it one of the leaning ones? Those are kind of slick.

Don't buy a Chinese piece of junk as a primary mode of transport. Go look up EX250's, find your nut sack, and purchase a decent motorcycle that will get you through just about anything.

--------------------

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

#26834067 - 07/20/20 11:33 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

It is the leaning one.
LOL, I knew you'd say that JSB, it's all good man. I'm just pointing out some vehicles he might like as  opposed to a bigger bike. I think a little 250 would be perfect actually for his needs.

--------------------

Invisibletrees
 User Gallery

Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #26834305 - 07/20/20 01:34 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tyrannicalrex said:
What about this?

I swear, you are the exact type of guy who id see riding one of those. Mid 50's white guy no helmet riding that seen it 1000 times already

--------------------
Trees is dead, this is his mum posting

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: trees]
    #26834324 - 07/20/20 01:49 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

LOL, I'd wear a helmet.:grin: I actually love my buick.

--------------------

Offlinerocklobster
Walking my friends home...

Loc: Savage Reservation
Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #26834439 - 07/20/20 03:02 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Whatever you go with, a MSF certified riders course is a great first step. No matter how many years you have on the road they will teach you skills that can save your life. Money well spent and you'll be a safer and more confident rider when you're done. Most states also will count it as your riding exam.

--------------------

OfflineTripsurfer
Bring Back Asante!
Male

Loc: West of Windward Flag
Re: anyone know anything about mopeds [Re: tyrannicalrex] * 1
    #26839856 - 07/23/20 06:34 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

The Ducth motomag tested those and they were actually quite impressed with handling. The double front means you have insane grip and can roll over just about nything slippery and/or bumpy without issues

Your legs get mad spray from the wheels being that far out though. And at least here in Euro land you will always be that guy that didnt get his license and had to settle for one of these

This is my current bike. Coming off a 250moto this has some nice pull and weight for freeway riding

Not the best commuter to be honest (pegs are super wide) but just cruising around its super nice. Starting it up still puts a smile on my face
Im kinda debating doing the whole cruiser thing. I always had a soft spot for Harleys.

The fact that JSB hates them after riding a few is really rustling my jimmies as I value his opinion on matters of two-wheeled transportation

:jimmies:

--------------------
Ach en wee ben ik de klos, met mijn boog schoot ik een albatros...

A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder