Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleCosmicTwin
StrangerER
 User Gallery

Loc: Never too far.
Car Purchase Help Please
    #26828911 - 07/17/20 12:42 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Hey there, I'm seeking some incredibly needed advice on purchasing a car. Let me start by saying, I don't really know anything about cars at all and I need to buy a car ASAP. My budget is 1-4/5K so I'm looking for some creative thinkers out there to try and help me get the best value for my money, the cheaper the better. Unfortunately, much like my father(HA!), his car is so banged up and broken it wont even pass an inspection & given a recent decline in his health I need to take on shuttling him to and from a series of doctors visits for the next few weeks/months. I plan on giving him this car too.

I'm willing to travel by train or fly to get the right car, the closer to the North East US the better.

Please send me links to your best choices. 2020 has been tough and I'm extremely grateful for you taking the time to help me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Loc: Deep in the system Flag
Re: Car Purchase Help Please [Re: CosmicTwin]
    #26828924 - 07/17/20 12:48 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Find a Honda Civic if you want something cheap and reliable.

There's literally nothing else in the price range that will serve you that reliably.

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

Offlinespirit_shadow
Beta Crypt 3
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Car Purchase Help Please [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #26828927 - 07/17/20 12:50 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

:whathesaid: I got an old Honda civic from an old lady for $500 years ago and that motherfucker got me everywhere for  cheap..... RIP old civic :salute:

--------------------
If I wasn't spirit_shadow I'd want to be spirit_shadow.....(this account is automated, all posts related to illegal activities or advice thereof are strictly from numerous online sites and are for informational purposes only)- Circa 2011
Ban lotto

InvisibleCosmicTwin
StrangerER
 User Gallery

Loc: Never too far.
    #26828939 - 07/17/20 12:55 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you.

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Loc: Deep in the system Flag
    #26829001 - 07/17/20 01:21 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Had a few Civics now. Awesome machines for the money, hard to go wrong with one.

IMO, find someone to take to look at one with you that knows a little bit about cars.

Find one that's got a shabby body but is mechanically sound and you'll be laughing.

I had an Accord that I picked up for $300 once that served me well for four years.

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

Offlinespirit_shadow
Beta Crypt 3

#26829007 - 07/17/20 01:24 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

That's what it was! I has an old accord not civic. Either way I could take the whole motor apart with a 10mm and it was great in gas.....I miss that cheap car lol

--------------------
If I wasn't spirit_shadow I'd want to be spirit_shadow.....(this account is automated, all posts related to illegal activities or advice thereof are strictly from numerous online sites and are for informational purposes only)- Circa 2011
Ban lotto

OfflinePumpJackTeX
livin life
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
Re: Car Purchase Help Please [Re: spirit_shadow]
    #26829017 - 07/17/20 01:28 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

If I were you I would buy a cross country touring bike similar to the Specialized AWOL Expert.

I'm probably the only lunictic here that would do that but I did just ride 16,000 miles on my bicycle.

World2020Tour kicks off in September!

--------------------
Life. 2008

Ascension Energy | UFOs | 2021

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB Flag
Re: Car Purchase Help Please [Re: PumpJackTeX] * 1
    #26831233 - 07/18/20 05:42 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I've had good luck with early 15 or 20 year old buicks, lincolns. You find old man cars that they've had in the garage for 20 years and baby them when they drive them. Usually they got scratches and dings in em because old people drive by touch.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

OfflineIce9
3X Ban Lotto Champion

Loc: daterapeville,USA
Re: Car Purchase Help Please [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #26831257 - 07/18/20 05:55 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I'm looking for a car too, but vastly different budget/needs.  I think the advice so far is pretty good. If you can find a one owner older person and its a honda/toyota I'd take it to a mechanic and go over major systems, cooling/oil/electrical/transmission and if they give an ok pull the trigger.  Those cars are hard to find so if you need one immediately you may have to wait.  Also look for places near you that sell donated cars, like cars for kids type stuff.  If you don't know a mechanic who can come with you and check em out here are a few simple tells of major problems.  Blue smoke (bad head gasket) same with frothy or milky looking oil.  Smell the oil, you don't want to smell a burnt smell, same goes for transmission fluids. Look under the car, is it a rust bucket or reasonably rust free.  Others may have good tips too.  Hope this helps.

--------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Brenard Shaw

InvisibleLophosaurus
suruasohpol

Loc: CA Flag
Re: Car Purchase Help Please [Re: Ice9]
    #26831328 - 07/18/20 06:33 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Hondas are pretty good depending on the year. Whatever car you get you can check carcomplaints.com to get an idea of what problems you will run into, recalls, and that kind of thing. Helps with negotiating on price too as well as checking into KBB (Kelly Blue Book).

Never buy from a dealer.

You might be able to find a good deal on Public Online Car Auctions if they have one near you too. I almost got a Ford F350 with nice utility body and like 30,000 miles for $13,000 recently, but decided to go with a cheaper ford van.

I kind of want to get another van for a project. Something like a diesel Sprinter van or maybe a short bus to make into a road trip camper and concert shaggin wagon.

OfflineCosmic Eye
The 2nd tallest
Male User Gallery

Re: Car Purchase Help Please [Re: Lophosaurus] * 1
    #26831417 - 07/18/20 07:36 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

You can buy Civics all day and its highly recommended. I personally think anything 95-00, and 05+ is perfect. Please skip anything in between. I currently have a 98 Civic and its my daily bottom bitch. I cant remember but think I got it for $1800. It needed front brakes, resonator and muffler, and a timing belt because the water pump was leaking (he lied about that). Spent the $500 in parts and did it myself. 30+mpg automatic beater, hot damn. Its been one of my favorite daily drivers ever. Over time got the windows tinted and put a 100W sound system in it. Needs an oil pan and gasket. The distributor went out...

Unfortunately its hard to find a good/honest mechanic outside of work. Every car likely needs work. Have someone look at it with you.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Loc: God's Flat Green Earth
    #26831530 - 07/18/20 09:31 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

2nd generation Lincoln Town Car

--------------------

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Revelation 3:11
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Invisiblelavod
Seal Whisperer
 User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: Car Purchase Help Please [Re: Ice9] * 2
    #26831591 - 07/18/20 10:29 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ice9 said:
Blue smoke (bad head gasket) same with frothy or milky looking oil.

A bad head gasket yields white, sweet smelling smoke from coolant in the combustion chamber.  Blue smoke is oil from worn piston rings or valve seals. 

Some good choices so far.  Do'nt assume that a car will be reliable just because it's Japanese.  Mitsu/Nissan/Subaru/Mazda will be more ov a crapshoot than Toyota/Honda, and there's even some questionable cars ov the latter(avoid '97-'02 Toyotas known for sludging problems and automatic Hondas with a v6 due to trans issues).  The old people cars mentioned like panther platform Ford products and older GMs(watch for intake manifold gasket leaks on the 3.1/3.4/3.8 and dexcool issues) can be found for low miles and cheap.  But if you're going for one ov those cars be warned ov potential issues after purchase if your driving attitude differs greatly from the person you're buying it from.  Older low mile cars may also have shoddy rubber components.

Do not buy an '87 Volvo.

--------------------

OfflineSpirit-Crusher
DOOM HIPPIE

Loc: PNW
Re: Car Purchase Help Please [Re: lavod]
    #26831733 - 07/19/20 12:45 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Find a Subaru with low mileage and that thing will run forever.

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#26831798 - 07/19/20 02:06 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jokeshopbeard said:
Find a Honda Civic if you want something cheap and reliable.

There's literally nothing else in the price range that will serve you that reliably.

Honda's are great cars. Just keep your eyes out for deals in your area. IF you don't know much about cars have a mechanic friend that can come with you and look it over for you.

I'm partial to Nissan Altima's myself. They are great little cars I loved the shit out of the '99 one I owned.

I currently have a 2005 for focus I got for 1000 bucks from a family friend. Thing's easily worth 2.5-3.5k. I've never really cared for ford much but this has actually been a pretty nice little solid car. It cruises smooth as glass the engine isn't going to blow any panties off but it's responsive and handles well. All in all it's changed my mind on atleast the focuses.

Plus they're a lot like the Hondas. The things are everywhere so parts are cheap and easy to find.

That's one of the biggest things you want to look at is what kind of car is it and how popular is it in your area. If you do need parts is it going to be a bitch to find? Or can you go to the junkyard and they got 10 of the things laying around at all times? Generally your Honda's, Toyota, Nissa, Ford little cars are everywhere. For 4-5 grand you should definitely be able to find a nice little car.

If that's what your looking for I don't think you mentioned like trucks or anything.

Edit: The comment above mine reminded me of Subarus. Also fantastic cars. An ex gf of mine had one of the outbacks and I loved driving that thing. It also had the long hatchback which was great for laying down the seats for some sexy time wherever or put a bunch of blankets and padding and make a cozy bed for camping. I'm definitely snatching one of those up when I find a good deal on one.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals