Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame
    #26825511 - 07/15/20 04:10 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame
www.scientificamerican.com

In the years leading up to the roaring 2020s, young people were once again dropping acid. Onetime Harvard psychologist Timothy Leary died almost 25 years ago, after which some of his ashes were launched into space. But from 2015 to 2018, the rate of “turning on and tuning in” with LSD, to paraphrase Leary, increased by more than 50 percent in the U.S.—a rise perhaps fueled by a need for chemical escapism. Those results were published in the July issue of Drug and Alcohol Dependence. The authors of the study suspect that many users may be self-medicating with the illegal substance to find relief from depression, anxiety and general stress over the state of the world.

“LSD is used primarily to escape. And given that the world’s on fire, people might be using it as a therapeutic mechanism,” says Andrew Yockey, a doctoral candidate in health education at the University of Cincinnati and lead author of the paper. “Now that COVID’s hit, I’d guess that use has probably tripled.”

To arrive at their findings, Yockey and his colleagues turned to data collected from more than 168,000 American adults by the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, an annual, nationally representative questionnaire. They analyzed trends since 2015, partly because of the timing of the 2016 presidential election.

The researchers found that past-year LSD use increased by 56 percent over three years. The rise was especially pronounced in certain user groups, including people with college degrees (who saw a 70 percent increase) and people aged 26 to 34 (59 percent), 35 to 49 (223 percent) and 50 or older (45 percent). Younger people aged 18 to 25, on the other hand, decreased their use by 24 percent.

A 1960s-level drug-fueled counterculture revolution probably will not be sweeping the nation anytime soon; the number of Americans using LSD in a given year still remains less than 1 percent of the total adult population. “LSD is a lot less popular today than it was in the late 1960s and 1970s,” says Joseph Palamar, a drug researcher at NYU Langone Health, who was not involved in the new study. In the late 1970s, for example, Palamar says, 10 percent of high school seniors reported ever using LSD, compared with 6 percent today.

Palamar says the drop in use over that longer period was not necessarily driven by declining interest in psychedelics. Rather it likely occurred because there are newer drugs available, such as the psychedelic 2C-B, that have displaced LSD. “However, LSD is perhaps the most popular psychedelic of all time, and it’s never going away,” he adds.

Similar to psilocybin (the active compound in magic mushrooms), recreational LSD users may turn to the drug not only to escape but also “to understand the full capacity of their minds and to improve their well-being,” says David Nutt, a neuropsychopharmacologist at Imperial College London, who was not involved in the new study. LSD is often easier to acquire than psilocybin, though—and it is also easier to carry around than a bag of dried mushrooms, he notes.

The National Survey on Drug Use and Health does not ask users why they took LSD or how large of a dose they consumed. Nutt suspects that the rising popularity of microdosing could explain the overall increase in LSD use. Microdosing involves taking amounts ranging from less than one tenth to half of a “trip” dose of a psychedelic drug—usually in an attempt to sharpen the mind, increase creativity or reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.

Palamar, on the other hand, hypothesizes that an uptick in LSD use is more likely related to growing participation in the dance festival scene. In a study published in April, he and his co-author found that past-year LSD used increased from 10 to 17 percent among attendees of electronic dance music parties in New York City between 2016 and 2019.

Yockey points out that the increase in LSD use does not have to be attributed to either microdosing or partying alone; both could be playing a role. Maybe “people are going to a Phish concert” and taking a full dose of LSD, “or they’re going to work” and microdosing, he says. And some may also be encouraged to use the drug after reading about studies exploring the therapeutic use of psychedelic substances. Most of this research centers around shorter-acting psilocybin, which is in current or planned clinical trials for treating depression, anxiety, anorexia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, certain severe headaches, and addiction to smoking, cocaine and alcohol. Studies involving LSD are more limited, not because the substance lacks potential as a therapeutic agent, Nutt says, but because research on it is “virtually impossible” in most countries. And in turn, the drug appears to carry more stigma as a result of having less research associated with its therapeutic use.

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration classifies LSD as a Schedule I drug, or one defined as having a serious risk of abuse and no accepted medical value. Significant research shows that the substance is not physically addictive, however, and that LSD overdoses are generally not considered life-threatening and subside within 72 hours. In some cases, people who accidentally overdose on the drug have even reported long-term improvements, according to a study published in the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. In 2015, for example, a 49-year old woman reportedly took 550 times the normal recreational dose of LSD because she mistook it for a line of cocaine. According to CNN, after being incapacitated for about a day, the woman said that chronic pain she had suffered in her feet and ankles, caused by Lyme disease, had significantly improved. “It just shows that LSD is not that harmful drug that everyone makes it out to be,” Yockey says. Of course, there are well-publicized exceptions: for example, the drug can worsen symptoms of schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders.

Of the handful of studies that have been conducted on LSD’s effects and therapeutic potential, many findings are encouraging. A 2014 paper concluded that LSD administered in a medical setting is safe and can bring lasting benefits. Meanwhile a 2015 study observed that the drug enhanced the emotion evoked from listening to music—an effect the authors believed could be useful for psychedelic-assisted therapy. And a 2017 paper found that LSD, when taken in a controlled setting, increased sociability, trust and feelings of openness. The authors also reported that it reduced anxiety for two months in patients with life-threatening diseases and did not cause complications in a medical context. Similar to psilocybin, other evidence indicates that LSD could be used to alleviate depression and anxiety, treat alcohol dependence and reduce symptoms of autism.

“LSD might be a panacea to anxiety and other psychological disorders,” Yockey says. “But as a Schedule I drug, there’s just so much red tape behind that that some researchers I’ve talked to who want to do LSD research say it’s not even worth it.”

Yockey calls for a depoliticizing of LSD, which would make studies of its therapeutic potential and its effects on recreational users possible. At the same time, he says, efforts to reduce drug use should focus on more harmful substances such as methamphetamine, cocaine and fentanyl—all of which also seem to be on the rise. “These drugs can kill you, LSD cannot,” Yockey says. “We need to rectify our messaging.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: Ythan] * 6
    #26825540 - 07/15/20 04:28 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

LSD is used primarily to escape

^i highly disagree

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: Ythan] * 3
    #26825548 - 07/15/20 04:34 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
Americans Increase LSD Use

:innocentjoy:

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: Fractal420] * 2
    #26826441 - 07/16/20 07:30 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

The opposite is true if anything...hedonistic drugs like opiates and stims, or anxiety satiating drugs like weed and benzos, are used to escape. Psychedelics make it impossible to, when tripping worries and concerns come through front and center.

OfflineBasilBush
Reality Bender
Male User Gallery

Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: Holybullshit]
    #26826526 - 07/16/20 08:46 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the escape action or howevery you word it.

LSD in my opinion is a full bore escape drug. Yes you can address things head on.  But you don't have to . I've used LSD in the past to escape thoughts , feelings. Surrounding's and reality only coming down when th ings dry up and escape is no longer an option lol.

Weed is a minor escape drug it's more of a calm u down so u don't give a fuck drug

--------------------
I HUNT MAGIC MUSHROOMS AND MAKE MIND BLOWING TEA,
I BUY ROOT BARK OFF THE INTERNET AND EXTRACT DMT,
SMOKE MY FRIENDS CHANGA IT TASTES BETTER FOR FREE
TRIPPING IS WONDERFUL IT HELPS ME FIND PEACE,
SO WILL YOU COME ALONG TO MY NEXT EUPHORIC FEAST.

I LOVE MUSHROOMS THEY MUSH UP THE ROOM THERE AINT MUCH ROOM IN HERE
SPECIAL GREEN TEA MADE FROM A CACTUS TREE SETS YOUR MIND AND SPIRIT FREE

OfflineO_Dweeds
Humanitarian Magician

Loc: Molecular (Creating, Watc...
Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: BasilBush]
    #26826591 - 07/16/20 09:24 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

It's certainly as good as you can get for a (semi)-synthetic psychoactive.

If one has the option I'd definitely recommend mushrooms as being completely organic psychoactive there are no sharp edges to either the experience or after effects; I actually feel better for days to weeks afterwards. Where with both any synthetic or semi-synthetic I feel what many would describe as a "brain-fry" burnt out feeling, with LSD having the most minute negative after effects.

--------------------
Oxygen. Water. Neil Young

Our word "planet" comes from the Greek word planetes, meaning "wanderer."

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace."
Gregg Allman

OfflineO_Dweeds
Humanitarian Magician

Loc: Molecular (Creating, Watc...
Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: Holybullshit]
    #26826598 - 07/16/20 09:30 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
The opposite is true if anything...hedonistic drugs like opiates and stims, or anxiety satiating drugs like weed and benzos, are used to escape. Psychedelics make it impossible to, when tripping worries and concerns come through front and center.

I completely agree with benzodiazepines and alcohol have an incredibly similar effect on the gabba activity in the brain; why both have the same negative effects when quitting CT (possibility of death).

Cannabis s a psychoactive so I'm not sure why you would lump that in with benzodiazepines unless you meant synthetic THC/cannabinoids like JWH.
Couldn't agree more with the "no escaping worries or concerns" as this is a major initial directive that psycho-actives want you to conquer to progress with completely activating one's soul.

--------------------
Oxygen. Water. Neil Young

Our word "planet" comes from the Greek word planetes, meaning "wanderer."

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace."
Gregg Allman

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: O_Dweeds]
    #26826607 - 07/16/20 09:33 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I completely agree with benzodiazepines and alcohol have an incredibly similar effect on the gabba activity

Whether you agree or not, one is GABA-A and the other GABA-B. So yes, but not enough to substitute fully. Benzos can be used to curtail alcohol wd but it doesn’t work so well the other way around. Barbs also affect the alcohol receptors iirc

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

InvisiblePsychoReactive
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cocalero
Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: Fractal420]
    #26827120 - 07/16/20 02:39 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

LSD or something else? Could be that nbome garbage.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: O_Dweeds]
    #26827391 - 07/16/20 04:46 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I grouped it together not because of its action but because of how its used, its not as hedonistic as opiates but refer to BasilBush's post...

Quote:

it's more of a calm u down so u don't give a fuck drug

In reply to BasilBush, even in your own post you say "escape is impossible"...sure you can have fun on LSD, but as a tool for escapism, especially on a regular basis, its at the bottom of the list.

Invisibletrvptamine
P-Mx$$
Male

Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: BasilBush] * 1
    #26827552 - 07/16/20 06:15 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BasilBush said:
I'm going to have to disagree with you on the escape action or howevery you word it.

LSD in my opinion is a full bore escape drug. Yes you can address things head on.  But you don't have to . I've used LSD in the past to escape thoughts , feelings. Surrounding's and reality only coming down when th ings dry up and escape is no longer an option lol.

Weed is a minor escape drug it's more of a calm u down so u don't give a fuck drug

I mean guys arent we forgetting that drugs affect everyone differently? The experiences, especially with hallucinogens, are completely subjective.
I think I can objectively say that some people use LSD to grow as a person, and others use it to get "fucked up" and escape.

White Supremacist groups love psychedelics and MDMA just as much as hippies do. The main effect of a psychedelic on the mind is its ability to open the mind to new perspectives. Those perspectives could be good, evil, true, false, etc. Even lots of gangs here in the USA give MDMA to young men (really still kids) so that their inhibitions are lowered enough to do a robbery/murder.

These substances are good, but they can still be used to escape. It will be a shitty escape, but people still do it. I know people who have gone to work daily on LSD because they just wanted to be high during their boring work shift at the grocery store. I have a friend now whos taking LSD multiple times a week and everything that comes out of his mouth is delusional, mystical, paranoid, or completely fictitious in nature. He believes every thought he has on LSD, and I think hes doing it to his self to escape from the BS he has to do deal with in his life.

Im happy LSD has made a big come back. At least people are more likely to get real LSD these days than how it was back in like 2011-14. Some people will abuse it. All we can do is try to spread harm reduction information to people who may not know how to take care of their body and mind during a binge on any substance.

--------------------

OfflineBasilBush
Reality Bender
Male User Gallery

Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: trvptamine] * 1
    #26828028 - 07/17/20 12:08 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Well said... I totally agree with what you say about the actions if any drug depends on nature it was taken.

Drugs are neither good or bad and rely on us as decent human beings to use them correctly.

I thing this rule apply to most drugs except dmt and mushrooms. These have minds of there own lol

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: trvptamine]
    #26828241 - 07/17/20 05:51 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The main effect of a psychedelic on the mind is its ability to open the mind to new perspectives.

That doesn't sound like something that would be sought after for someone simply looking to escape.

I think some people here are equating using LSD for anything other than deep introspection as escapism. You can use a substance to party, to have fun, in a non-serious manner...and that doesn't necessarily make your actions escapism.

And the question isn't even whether LSD can be used for escape, what's up for debate is whether escapism the driving motivation responsible for its increased use. Do you really think it is? I don't, there are a dozen other drugs much better suited and more easily attainable for that, including other psychadelics.

Offlineicetech
 User Gallery

Loc: FSM's loving noodles.
    #26828314 - 07/17/20 06:59 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I don't use it to escape at all.. i find it relaxing and it helps with my music and loosening up so i can play better..

--------------------

OfflineLosTresOjos
Humano
I'm a teapot
Loc: Hurling Through Space
Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: icetech]
    #26828791 - 07/17/20 11:39 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I think you guys are getting ego filled ideas here. Although the article puts a negative spin on escapism, it is exactly what is going on. I don't know why you guys are so heated about this.

Why wouldn't you want to escape for a few hours? Do you guys not feel and see the state of our man made culture? I feel as if can breathe, think clearer after returning. I'm better prepared to deal with the bullshit we have made ourselves put up with.

It's true about psychedelics including weed, you don't take them to not notice. They are unique in that respect.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: LosTresOjos]
    #26829543 - 07/17/20 06:20 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

What you are describing is not generally what people in psychological circles and discussions are talking about when they assert that someone is using drugs to escape, which absolutely carries negative connotations, not because of how we interpret it but because of how the word is used and what it means.

Sure, their is some limited amount of escape that is a necessary and often healthy part of the human experience. But this quota can easily be reached through routine actions not requiring drug use, especially one as powerful and long lasting as LSD.

Quote:

may turn to the drug not only to escape but also “to understand the full capacity of their minds and to improve their well-being,” says David Nutt, a neuropsychopharmacologist at Imperial College London, who was not involved in the new study. LSD is often easier to acquire than psilocybin, though—and it is also easier to carry around than a bag of dried mushrooms, he notes.

Using LSD in the manner your just described is generally viewed as something separate from escapism. As I previously stated, if one was just seeking to escape there is a plethora of options which are attained as or more easily and would work much better towards said goal.

Quote:

The National Survey on Drug Use and Health does not ask users why they took LSD or how large of a dose they consumed. Nutt suspects that the rising popularity of microdosing could explain the overall increase in LSD use. Microdosing involves taking amounts ranging from less than one tenth to half of a “trip” dose of a psychedelic drug—usually in an attempt to sharpen the mind, increase creativity or reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.

The hypothesis that increased LSD use it motivated by escapism is pure conjecture, not backed up by data, and as Nutt states there are better explanations which have nothing to doing with escapism. Escape, as the word is commonly used, is not describing someone taking action to better face the world and their problems, but to ignore and neglect them, often to their detriment.

OfflineLosTresOjos
Humano
I'm a teapot
Loc: Hurling Through Space
    #26829587 - 07/17/20 06:47 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I added that nuance to my statement.  I understand the negative connotations. My point was that they are not wrong but they spin it as if it's wrong.  I also agree the type of escapism is different when dealing with different drugs. But just because psychedelics allow you bring useful tactics back doesn't diminish the ability to get away. As you've said it can be very healthy.

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Loc: Great Lakes State
Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: LosTresOjos]
    #26832465 - 07/19/20 12:29 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

LSD can and often is used to escape, often with the user convincing themselves they are using it for spiritual growth or some other higher purpose.

While LSD can get you high just like any other drug, the experience is usually much deeper, more profound and psychologically challenging/transformative than the experience provided by drugs like opiates and alcohol. This doesn't mean it can't be used to escape however, it's just that rather than escaping into a physical euphoria like one would with opiates, with LSD I'd argue what people are really after is an escape into spiritual transcendence similar to how a Buddhist might want to escape the cycle of birth and death. This feeling of trancedence often rabidly fades away after the trip ends, prompting the user to trip again in hopes he can recapture it.

--------------------
The path of the herbalist is to open ourselves to nature in an innocent and pure way. SHe in turn will open her bounty and reward us with many valuable secrets. May the earth bless you. - Michael Tierra

Edited by Peyote Road (07/19/20 03:17 PM)

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: Peyote Road]
    #26833547 - 07/20/20 03:08 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

^i don’t consider that “escape”

Escape is sitting around on mindless sedatives to numb yourself from the horrors of the world
(Understandable IMO)

Psychedelics conversely thrust you into thought and exploring your internal and external worlds

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Offlinemescalinechemist
 User Gallery

Re: Americans Increase LSD Use—and a Bleak Outlook for the World May Be to Blame [Re: Fractal420]
    #26833576 - 07/20/20 03:47 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
^i don’t consider that “escape”

Escape is sitting around on mindless sedatives to numb yourself from the horrors of the world
(Understandable IMO)

Psychedelics conversely thrust you into thought and exploring your internal and external worlds

Spot on

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale