Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Does it make any sense to say that Earth is not overpopulated? [Re: laughingdog]
    #26853465 - 07/30/20 12:34 PM (15 days, 18 hours ago)

But there is a difference between customs that go back thousands of years, and dietary habits that go back millions. I'm only trying to provide a justification for meat-eating based on the fact that the genuses homo, pan and australopithecus, and the vast majority of their offshoots (gorillas would be one obvious exception), incorporate meat into their diets.

I am not attempting to deny your point that nutritional science has found ways superior to meat-eating to give modern humans long and healthy lives. But would that justify ending the practice of meat-eating the world over? Historically, meat has been very highly valued, even prized, in almost every human culture known to anthropologists. India would be an exception to this, but we know that prior to the Aryan invasions, meat, including beef, was eaten widely, and only later was the anti-beef, anti-meat injunction inculcated into the culture for ecological reasons.

I am not saying humans must or even should eat meat, but that it is perfectly natural and reasonable for us to do so, and probably we ought to be able to do it should we so choose.

As discussed above, one potential way out of this is lab-grown meat. If they can ever perfect it, that might be a solution to this problem on several fronts. I would be happy to eat lab-grown meat and end factory farming, if this becomes feasible. But then, a lot of people might not, and who is to say that is inherently ill-founded?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

Re: Does it make any sense to say that Earth is not overpopulated? [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #26853550 - 07/30/20 01:09 PM (15 days, 18 hours ago)

Anyone try Burger King's meatless burger?
I'm supremely confident that technology can provide suitable and aceptable alternatives.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Does it make any sense to say that Earth is not overpopulated? [Re: Buster_Brown]
    #26853554 - 07/30/20 01:11 PM (15 days, 18 hours ago)

I want to try locust burgers &
spaghetti and crickets!

--------------------

OnlineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

Re: Does it make any sense to say that Earth is not overpopulated? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26853603 - 07/30/20 01:36 PM (15 days, 17 hours ago)

Grubs weren't tasty but I've yet to try worms.

"Bite their heads off, suck their juice out, throw their skins away"

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Does it make any sense to say that Earth is not overpopulated? [Re: Buster_Brown]
    #26853705 - 07/30/20 02:17 PM (15 days, 16 hours ago)

I cooked worms when I was a kid. Reminded me of onion rings.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

“Everyone's path is different, and that is fine. We either sit or walk.”

OfflineAcidGandalf
Stranger
Female

Loc: Scotland
Re: Does it make any sense to say that Earth is not overpopulated? [Re: Rahz]
    #26853794 - 07/30/20 02:50 PM (15 days, 16 hours ago)

The first reaction to asking someone to consider a vegan diet for their health, the health of the planet and other animals is usually "You can't force people", despite that not being the suggestion.  It is a reality that it's something people will have to consider as this planet becomes more uninhabitable and food and water shortages become more common

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Does it make any sense to say that Earth is not overpopulated? [Re: AcidGandalf]
    #26853822 - 07/30/20 03:09 PM (15 days, 16 hours ago)

I'm not sure that directly asking an individual to consider a vegetarian diet would usually result in a defensive reply about forcing people to do it. Is this your experience?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

“Everyone's path is different, and that is fine. We either sit or walk.”

OnlineThe Blind Ass
Foolishly Happy
Male User Gallery

#26853833 - 07/30/20 03:15 PM (15 days, 15 hours ago)

Had a family dinner a few weeks ago and one of my siblings came in proselytizing (she’s a vegetarian) / Trying to convert the entire family - all of whom have grown up (going back generations) on a Mediterranean diet.  She get incredibly defensive and nasty about how no one instantly  converted on the spot.  The burning of the Amazon got brought up - slave wages for workers - animal cruelty - gmos - disease - unsustainably etc etc...

I think it may have been that time of the month...

Was the most unpleasant family dinner in a long time. :eek:

--------------------
Give me Liberty caps - or -  give me death caps

Edited by The Blind Ass (07/30/20 03:16 PM)

OnlineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

Re: Does it make any sense to say that Earth is not overpopulated? [Re: The Blind Ass]
    #26854035 - 07/30/20 05:10 PM (15 days, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

The Blind Ass said:
She get incredibly defensive and nasty about how no one instantly  converted on the spot. 

Human nature, I guess, to attempt domination of weaker personalities/positions and then get upset at resistance.

OnlineThe Blind Ass
Foolishly Happy
Male User Gallery

#26854090 - 07/30/20 05:40 PM (15 days, 13 hours ago)

*got

:cookiemonster:

--------------------
Give me Liberty caps - or -  give me death caps

OnlineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

Re: Does it make any sense to say that Earth is not overpopulated? [Re: The Blind Ass]
    #26854111 - 07/30/20 05:53 PM (15 days, 13 hours ago)

I've noticed a couple of instances on this site where people make obeisance to strong-willed characters. In the interest of research I guess I shouldn't cramp their style.

OnlineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

#26854910 - 07/31/20 05:58 AM (15 days, 1 hour ago)

Quote:

Buster_Brown said:
In the interest of research I guess I shouldn't cramp their style.

Scratch that.

OfflineAcidGandalf
Stranger
Female

#26857311 - 08/01/20 01:46 PM (13 days, 17 hours ago)

All of those points are true. Not a good idea to bring up during dinner when people are no doubt, enjoying such foods the most and probably in the strongest state of denial. It is frustrating to have people prefer their long standing traditional bad habits to the future of this planet, but that's humans in a nut shell. It frustrates me the most to hear people say what is essentially. "Yes it's bad, but i'm going to keep doing these bad things because I wont change for the world"

OfflineAcidGandalf
Stranger
Female

#26857315 - 08/01/20 01:50 PM (13 days, 17 hours ago)

Yes. Many times online but even in person. Once during christmas dinner I had my whole present family making the usual "Oh, do you only eat lettuce? Where do you get your protein? Joe rogan says blah blah, vegans are so pushy." without once even asking them to consider it, or bringing it up, I was simply eating. Spoiled my appetite for sure.

What's also annoying to me is when people refuse to watch what actually happens to tne animals (undercover footage) but then will eat the product. Willful ignorance for sure.

Edited by AcidGandalf (08/01/20 01:56 PM)

OnlineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

Re: Does it make any sense to say that Earth is not overpopulated? [Re: AcidGandalf]
    #26857462 - 08/01/20 03:39 PM (13 days, 15 hours ago)

Assuming you don't practice pest control I admire your self sacrifice to the appetites of fleas, mosquitoes and intestinal worms.

Let's be real. You have nothing against killing them, you just don't eat them and try not to raise them, and that supports a holier than thou attitude...but at least you're making progress. Congrats.

OfflineAcidGandalf
Stranger
Female

#26857580 - 08/01/20 05:19 PM (13 days, 13 hours ago)

Not holier than thou, I'm not religious, and I used to eat meat everyday so I'm hardly 'above' the action. I just don't want to anymore because of the consequences.

Veganism isn't about killing nothing. I'd hardly compare a parasite to something minding its own business.

OnlineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

Re: Does it make any sense to say that Earth is not overpopulated? [Re: AcidGandalf] * 1
    #26857584 - 08/01/20 05:26 PM (13 days, 13 hours ago)

OK, well congrats anyway for making the change and spreading the good word m

OnlineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

Re: Does it make any sense to say that Earth is not overpopulated? [Re: Buster_Brown] * 1
    #26857601 - 08/01/20 05:42 PM (13 days, 13 hours ago)

I probably need to be fed Indian curries to be able to make the change.

OfflineAcidGandalf
Stranger
Female

#26857715 - 08/01/20 07:22 PM (13 days, 11 hours ago)

Thanks. Curries are very good, also tbh tastebuds change. Mine certainly did, food I used to think was really bland now tastes nice and since ive tried a meat dish again it was way too salty. First month was annoying but since then as my gut has changed, so has my tastes and cravings.

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26858095 - 08/02/20 01:34 AM (13 days, 5 hours ago)

Neither meditating for hours per day or dietary reform or fasting are for everyone.
That does not mean that such practices do not have great value for some people, at some times, and in some places.
It also does not mean that such practices will over come personal death, or stop the coming disasters about to befall humanity.

--------------------
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.” or  “Science advances one funeral at a time.”
― Max Planck

"The situation is hopeless, but not serious."

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend,
inside of a dog its too dark to read."

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology