Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinegnirut0
Stranger
Monotube contamination at fruiting stage
    #26810564 - 07/08/20 08:15 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Hi,

I'm doing my second monotube, and again, I got a contamination at the fruiting stage.
Here is what the monotube is looking like:

Here is how it looked like yesterday afternoon (~24h after fruiting conditions):

Here are the contaminations this morning (~36h after fruiting conditions):

I tried to remove the contamined parts, I know it is not conventional but this is my only hope for this batch. Now, it looks like this:

I thought the interior would be white (as it should be colonized by the mycellium) but it is brown. Is it normal?

I'd like to understand what I did wrong, so I'll try to describe quite precisely what I did.

For my jars, I used RR's grain prep tek, I sterilized them and they waited a few weeks like this so I'm confident the sterilization was okay.
I did a G2G transfer to theses 10 jars, they were colonized a week later, and I waited another week while shaking them every two days so contaminants could develop, if there were any.

I made my substrate using SpitballJedi's CVG tek. I checked field capacity when it was still hot and it was good, and after that I mixed it up with my hand until it cooled down, but I did not check field capacity once it cooled down. Maybe the evaporation of water made the substrate under field capacity?

I gave a good look at every jar to check for contaminants, and when I opened them they all had this nice mushroomy smell. Then I dunked my grains for 20 minutes in tap water, then I mixed them with the substrate and put it in my taped monotube with a liner. I basically followed SpitballJedi's spawn tek.
I gave the walls and the lid a heavy amount of misting, and I also misted the monotube from above (not directly on the spawn).

8 days later, it looked well colonized so I put it in fruiting condition.
I heard that colonized substrate is contam-resistant, so I did not take any precautions regarding contaminants (neither did I when I made the spawn), I opened the monotube and put polyfill inside the holes : as tight as I could at the bottom, and a little bit in the top holes.
I put the light 12h per day about 1 meter (3 feets) above the monotube, and a fan in the room, at about 1.5 meter (4-5 feets) of the monotube, oriented so that I could feel the wind next to the monotube, but not directly on the monotube.
During the night I sleep in the same room so I shut down the fan, and since there is no passive FAE during the night I gave active FAE when I woke up by fanning with the lid.
When I did this, some drops of water might have falled on the spawn.

36 hours after putting it in fruiting conditions (I put it in the evening, two nights have passed and I noticed it the morning) I noticed some green spots that didn't look like bruising (see photo above, we don't see all of them very well on the photo but with naked eyes we could see a lot of tiny green spots).

Did I do something wrong? I'm not sure how much precautions I should take when taking care of my monotube, from what I understood colonized substrate is pretty contam-resistant but some growers seem to take some precautions, for example bodhisatta says "I brush my teeth twice a day so I can handle looking at my tubs once or twice a day".

If some expert shroomerites know what I did wrong, I'd like to know what I should change for my third monotube. I'm still trying to make this one fruit (I still have some hope).

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSurfingmycelium
Stranger
Re: Monotube contamination at fruiting stage [Re: gnirut0]
    #26810604 - 07/08/20 08:43 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Just starting out so take this with a grain of salt.  But, from what I’ve read, blue (like what you have circled; and if it’s actually Blue) can just be bruising.  When birthing cakes before they were stuck in the jar and, after prying out, the section that the pressure was on turned blue a day or two later a day or two later. 

Again, total noob and this could be wrong information.  Just figured I’d share what I have read during research.

Edited by Surfingmycelium (07/08/20 09:00 AM)

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotube contamination at fruiting stage [Re: Surfingmycelium]
    #26810643 - 07/08/20 09:08 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

That looks like green mold in the circle. I doubt it’ll fruit but you never know. If you had it in restricted air to colonize then the sudden fresh air once it went to fruiting conditions probably triggered the mold which had been dormant.

Are you using coir or manure?

Most likely it was in the spawn jar the whole time, it’s impossible to spot sometimes. Lower temps can help keep it away until after the first harvest but really clean spawn is the only way.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Offlinegnirut0
Stranger
Re: Monotube contamination at fruiting stage [Re: A.k.a]
    #26810698 - 07/08/20 09:47 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I'm using coir.

I have one jar of spawn that I put in the fridge for later use, that looks clean (like the other jars I used in the tub...).
If the jars I used for the monotube were contaminated, this one is probably contaminated too so you are suggesting I try to start from agar again?
Or is there a way to "wake up" the mold in the jar so I can be sure whether it is clean or contaminated?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder