Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelookintolearn
Stranger becoming Strangest
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Up in the Cut
Using one self healing inoculation hole for BRF spawn?
    #26806040 - 07/05/20 11:16 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

So I'm going to be preparing jars soon and have been doing a fair bit of reading but still haven't yet found the most solid answer for my situation. I want to use 1/2 pint jars with metal lids, and use a self healing port either on the one side or center of the jar for BRF. I figure the middle would be best but unsure.

I will also be using a dry vermiculite layer.

I just want to make sure one hole in the correct spot will be adequate for this.  :esrbnoob:

My question is, should I put it in the middle as to make it easier to hit all 4 sides of the jar? I'm going to be making only two holes, one for the port, and one for GE covered by a small SFD.

I know typically people use 4 holes for this but I would prefer this method because of less chance to contaminate.

Any solid input on this would be greatly appreciated!

--------------------
Don't be afraid of feeling the feelings

Lookin to LAGM 2021

Looking to start growing? Read through Bod's Introduction to Everything
Looking to start agar? Start with Alien's Holy Grail
Looking to perfect your transfers? Start with D3monic's Perfect Transfers
Looking for easiest prep to Coir ever? Eat's UNBUCKET Tek
Looking to start LC? Try LI first! Munch's super easy Blenderless LI

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using one self healing inoculation hole for BRF spawn? [Re: lookintolearn]
    #26806096 - 07/06/20 01:24 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

If u are using a dry verm layer, making a SHIP isnt necessary. I would just skip it. SHIP's are really only useful for grain jars. Its also sorta an outdated method for grain jars but still is used as it does work.

Offlinelookintolearn

Re: Using one self healing inoculation hole for BRF spawn? [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26806669 - 07/06/20 10:47 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

So the extra step wouldn't help prevent contams? That's my biggest worry is exposing anything that might give some other color than white. I figured not having any open holes would help but I guess I could be wrong. And could you explain why they are only useful for grains and not BRF? Is it just because of the verm layer you would put on BRF and not grains?

--------------------

Lookin to LAGM 2021

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using one self healing inoculation hole for BRF spawn? [Re: lookintolearn]
    #26806696 - 07/06/20 10:55 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

So yeah, the syringe holes provide FAE for the jars. The verm layer does all the filtering for u. I would argue its just not needed if u make your PF jars correctly. I dont even use tape anymore on my holes cause the dry verm layer works so well.

Its useful for grains as there is no verm layer to protect the grains from foreign infections.

Offlinelookintolearn

Re: Using one self healing inoculation hole for BRF spawn? [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26809167 - 07/07/20 01:55 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

If I wanted to be.. Conservative. Do you think this would be viable? not the first example but the jar picture by Shea at the bottom with 4 self healing holes and one large hole covered with SFD for GE? I know i'm being redundant but I can't help it after reading so many different posts about contams with BRF jars. This method claims that there is no need at all for verm layer which would help me save that good stuff for when I am making substrate. Opinion on this method?

Quote:

Citric said:
Update:  10.17.17
I will keep the original post under this, because it is still a viable option if people cannot afford SFD's.

So yet again, you will need some silicone, which I prefer RTV silicone.
Secondly, you will want to invest in some SFD's(People have used ez-felt as well)
Lastly, and the most obvious, a lid.  I would prefer plastic lids, but I do not have any.

Cut your SFD's down to little circles(Or squares.. or whatever you prefer)

Your lid should have two holes.  One in the middle for your filter, second on the edge for your injection port.  I prefer to put the injection port on the outside because I often use these jars for making GLI(Tek link soon).

Draw a circle around your filter hole with your silicone.

Place your filter on top, and push down into the silicone.  I usually go around the edge of the silicone after doing so with a flat knife or even spoon, to ensure there are no gaps between the silicone, and filter.

Next throw a glob over your injection port.

Then another glob under the injection port for added security and adhesion.

Ta da, there you have it.(Yes, I am soaking WBS in the other two jars)

There it is everyone.  Nothing different, other then using a different filter.  But as I caught flak years ago, I always swore I would update this thread.

Shroom on!

Original post:  07.06.09
Quote:

Citric said:
Haven't been around for a while, and not sure if this has been posted, so here is how I make my lids.

For starters, you will need to get some silicone.  I prefer to use the common RTV silicone, as it is meant for high heat.  You can get it right at Wal-Mart for around $4 or so.

Next, I cut little squares of tyvek for our filter.

For the actual lid, I make two holes using a 1/4 drill bit.  One in the middle for the filter, and one on the edge for your injections.

I start by making a square bead of silicone around our filter hole.

Next, I apply the small square piece of tyvek on top of the bead, and I use a utensil to push it down.  I prefer to use a plastic spoon.  I use the butt end of the spoon to press the sides and edges all flush to the lid, and the actual top of the spoon to smear the silicone around the tyvek to create a good seal.

Next of course I apply a thick spot of silicone over our injection hole.

I do this with all of my lids, and after each one I set it back on top of the jar to let them dry until I am done doing the bottom side of all lids.

Finally, I cover the top of our injection hole with another splat of silicone and allow to dry.

Shea25 posted what you would do for a PF style lid as well.  With these types of lids for PF Tek, you would not need a dry verm layer!

I have had tons of grief with people assuming I suggest Tyvek over SFD's.  Please know I HIGHLY suggest SFD's.  However not everyone wants to invest in them.  This is a nice, easy, and readily accessible alternative, which is why I did the tek with tyvek.  If you have SFD's, USE THEM!

Goodluck.

--------------------

Lookin to LAGM 2021

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags