Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSeacat
Voyager

What is the next step as a beginner whos got brf cakes down..? * 1
    #26796770 - 07/01/20 10:53 AM (1 month, 5 days ago)

So I have been fucking with the BRF cakes and feel like I've got it down. I think I threw away 2/16 half pints I worked with and the rest were completely fine. Right now on my 2nd cake batch and they all seem pretty good with no contaminants, but I want to expand. Which technique should I aim for to learn more to get more bulk..? I fucked with the liquid culture, and failed multiple times. I haven't tried any shoe boxes/mono tub techniques, I have the ingredients to make clones with agar plates and liquid culture. This is my question to you the reader: In an honest shroomery user perspective what is most valuable to learn including things I haven't mentioned..?

--------------------
You know, ......every once in a while, ...that terror comes back to me. ......I wonder...whether I really have escaped from that hell. ......What if...I actually lost my mind a long time ago......and I'm still in there, just seeing a delusion of us all chatting happily like this...? ...That nightmare still terrifies me... ...And so, I need to constantly feel...truly feel that this isn't a dream... ...Hey, ...are you guys...really...real...? ...You aren't just an insane delusion I'm having inside that hell, ...right...? Right? ...Right...?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleStrainsfordaze

Re: What is the next step as a beginner whos got brf cakes down..? [Re: Seacat] * 1
    #26796849 - 07/01/20 12:04 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Agar, sterilizing grains, going to bulk.

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Loc: Europe
Re: What is the next step as a beginner whos got brf cakes down..? [Re: Strainsfordaze]
    #26796927 - 07/01/20 12:52 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

U got an SAB? But yeah then agar and grain and coir/verm monotubs. Not that hard tbh, find some pics about grain so you get the moisture content right.
About grain I always like to say, the'yre not supposed to glisten or look wet or stick to the glass but dry and swollen - the moisture is all on the inside. There is also the spoon test, no (or few) grains should stick to a spoon.
As far as making an SAB goes, if you dont have one use an old can heated on the stove to melt nice arm holes, make youre they're shoulder lenght apart, otherwise it gets uncomfortable and neither too high nor too low.
Also use a soapy dish towel and wipe down the insides and put the towel on the bottom, this catches contams.
Agar: Just use your small PF jars and do a no pour agar tek with PDYA. This means that you cook up your agar and pour it and then pc the jars with it for 15mins after the pressure is built. These plates last a long time unopened so I like to make a bunch at a time. You can use the Polyfill filter lids but actually no filter at all and tightly closed jars also works, it just grows slower and stalls before it colonizes the whole plate (If you dont open it, which you would for a transfer), actually maybe a long term storage method idea.
PDYA recipe: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4308913

In an SAB/with agar work you use a metal tool that you flame sterilize with a torch, I use a creme brulee torch from my local supermarket and a cheap carpet knife from home depot. For inocing agar with spores i flame sterilize, cool in the target plate, scratch the print and then poke the plate with the tip of the knife.

Dont try to breathe into the SAB, close all windows so there is no air flow, use gloves, I used cleaning gloves that I wash my hands with soap in before work.

Thats about it probably. For the tub use a monotub with CVG (coir-verm-gypsum). The verm you should have lying around, the tub you might also already have as your fruiting chamber and coir and gypsum are easily acquired while gypsum is also not totally neccesary but a good extra nutrient.

--------------------
"to affirm life is to also affirm death"
-Albert hofmann

InvisibleBro_exotic
ANoobish
Male

Loc: Wherever my VPN is set to...
Re: What is the next step as a beginner whos got brf cakes down..? [Re: polaritymind]
    #26797197 - 07/01/20 02:44 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

As someone in almost your exact same position, I am doing shoeboxes. Agar is key. I am trying LC, because I haven't had luck with A2G, and I grated a cake into a shoebox with Coir. Bods easy af oat Tek had worked really good, and just look around the site and see what you think you want to try. I don't have space for a bunch of SGFC's or monotubs, but I can make a half dozen shoeboxes with a jar of oats each. I'm hoping to get cool looking canopy's and if one tub gets contaminated, no biggy, I've still got 5 more.

--------------------
:goodtobeking:

OfflineSeacat
Voyager

Re: What is the next step as a beginner whos got brf cakes down..? [Re: polaritymind]
    #26797204 - 07/01/20 02:47 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

I've been using a SAB yes, thanks for the pointers guys keep em comin..!

--------------------
You know, ......every once in a while, ...that terror comes back to me. ......I wonder...whether I really have escaped from that hell. ......What if...I actually lost my mind a long time ago......and I'm still in there, just seeing a delusion of us all chatting happily like this...? ...That nightmare still terrifies me... ...And so, I need to constantly feel...truly feel that this isn't a dream... ...Hey, ...are you guys...really...real...? ...You aren't just an insane delusion I'm having inside that hell, ...right...? Right? ...Right...?

OfflineC12ShroomMan
Bobleskeebnkovnhobn
Male

Re: What is the next step as a beginner whos got brf cakes down..? [Re: Seacat]
    #26797215 - 07/01/20 02:53 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

agar,oats,coir and shoe boxes.
8-10 boxes easy to manage for me and im pretty lazy xD

OfflineHellofire320
Stranger
Re: What is the next step as a beginner whos got brf cakes down..? [Re: C12ShroomMan]
    #26797328 - 07/01/20 03:50 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

+1 for Agar. Fellow newbie here. It's not as difficult as it seems.

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Re: What is the next step as a beginner whos got brf cakes down..? [Re: Bro_exotic]
    #26801041 - 07/03/20 08:39 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Bro_exotic said:
As someone in almost your exact same position, I am doing shoeboxes. Agar is key. I am trying LC, because I haven't had luck with A2G, and I grated a cake into a shoebox with Coir. Bods easy af oat Tek had worked really good, and just look around the site and see what you think you want to try. I don't have space for a bunch of SGFC's or monotubs, but I can make a half dozen shoeboxes with a jar of oats each. I'm hoping to get cool looking canopy's and if one tub gets contaminated, no biggy, I've still got 5 more.

I can just say, LC is way harder than agar. Honestly its just a patience thing, if youre really pro yo can save some time with it. But it introduces a whole host of problems, like moisture content changing and not being able to tell if something is a mold mycelium or not before inoculating, which means you need to check your LC on agar first which is an extra step, an extra opening of the jar which increases contam chances and for many often the check was clean, but then in that process it seems to have gotten contamed because shortly after, using the same LC to inoc it contamed.

What problem do you have with agar? Describe your process a bit will ya?

--------------------
-Albert hofmann

InvisibleBro_exotic
ANoobish
Male

#26801184 - 07/03/20 10:10 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

polaritymind said:
Quote:

What problem do you have with agar? Describe your process a bit will ya?

I'm still doing agar work, and that's how I inoculated my LC.

Every time I've tried to go direct from Agar to grain, it'll colonize about 25-30% and stall, probably due to bacterial contamination. I've tried leaving it be, I've tried shaking the jars, but every time they fail to fully colonize, even over several months. I've used those jars to spawn outdoor grows and still got a few lil mushies out of them, but nothing next to what I was hoping for.

I've got what I hope is clean LC of LGT that I'm going to use on 7 jars of oats tomorrow, I actually just took the PC off the stove, so everything will be prepped for tomorrow morning.

My plate was clean, I used biopsy method to inoculate the LC and now the bottom of the jar of LC is covered in cotton balls of myc. I would test it on agar first, but I'm worried that since it's a pour Tek, and I have an upside down unmodded lid if I try to I'll end up with a clean agar plate and contaminated LC. If I screw up 7 jars of oats, I'll scrap them and try again, oats are cheap, and I can make a fuck ton of LC from one agar plate.

As long as I can get one good fruit to clone from this grow, I'm going to call it a win, because I used my only LGT print to inoc the agar. I've still got some growth on the plate and I'm going to try another LC by cutting a slice of agar into the broth. I made a jar with a SHIP so I can just suck up the LC with a syringe next time. 

Once I've successfully grown the LGTs I'm going to see if I can find APE spores. I've never had them, let alone grown any, and the goal is to have constantly rotating shoeboxes, with at least one of them being APE.

--------------------

Edited by Bro_exotic (07/03/20 10:11 AM)

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Re: What is the next step as a beginner whos got brf cakes down..? [Re: Bro_exotic]
    #26803591 - 07/04/20 01:26 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

That honestly sounds more like a problem of grain prep, like too dry grain. Because you'd see pretty clearly if there was bacteria on the plate, and smell it too.

--------------------
-Albert hofmann

InvisibleNeuroMyc
Enigma
I'm a teapot

#26803706 - 07/04/20 02:27 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Another vote for Agar! I'm a total newbie here, but having an educational background in microbiology and chem, it seems the safest way to go. Clean = far less chance of contamination.

I'm starting with Bod's AF Oat TEK and Agar plates. Just for fun, I'm going straight spore to Oats while also isolating on  agar for comparison.

OfflineCagedApe
Stranger
Male

Loc: The Ether
Re: What is the next step as a beginner whos got brf cakes down..? [Re: NeuroMyc]
    #26804625 - 07/05/20 05:22 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

I know everyone uses agar>grain but I'm still on brf and I started with ms>LC>brf and have never had a problem with contamination with using a SAB w/proper sterilization.

InvisibleBro_exotic
ANoobish
Male

#26804685 - 07/05/20 06:31 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Quote:

polaritymind said:
That honestly sounds more like a problem of grain prep, like too dry grain. Because you'd see pretty clearly if there was bacteria on the plate, and smell it too.

Didn't have bacteria on the plate, had bacteria in the oats. They definitely smelled off, and they got all slimy and gross.

I did one jar of A2G yesterday just because, maybe this time it'll work *shrug*

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started