Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Facebook boycott
    #26802113 - 07/03/20 07:13 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Various corporations are boycotting Facebook over the refusal to remove some content they deem to be hate speech.

Examples I have found; Federal Emergency Management Agency is planning to bring on civil war with concentration camps and coffins, claiming Americans are already quarantined in militarised districts, using Brietbart as a news source who may have had some advertising ties to neo-Nazis in the past, allowing housing discrimination against people of color, and failing to remove holocaust denial posts.

Conspiracy theories (which are sometimes true, sometimes not), exaggerations, affiliates who may have at some point worked with shady groups... none of this seems to technically be "hate speech" to me. One could argue this point, as well as consider the difference between hate speech and threats of violence, but what strikes me is the apparent reality that corporations are using their power to be thought police.

Have we entered an era where corporations have more control over political and social discourse than government and "the people"?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Facebook boycott [Re: Rahz]
    #26802207 - 07/03/20 08:10 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

yes
somewhat as portrayed

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Facebook boycott [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26802445 - 07/03/20 10:50 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Zuck is a creep.
Like Bezos, Trump, Google & co., & Musk .... having enough, is never enough, for such types,-  never enough money, never enough power, never enough space ships, never enough trophy wives....
Bunch of clever people, with no wisdom or heart.

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: Facebook boycott [Re: laughingdog]
    #26805193 - 07/05/20 12:40 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Here's my take as someone in the business world.

These corporations, especially the one's that make the news cycle, are using this as an opportunity for two things:

1. Save advertising costs during economically uncertain times
2. Gain public approval of their brand

There is no or very very little altruism here IMO and so if we are indeed in a place where corporations are shaping policy, we are in deep shit. And yes, I think we are in that place. Hopefully there is a paddle somewhere.

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Facebook boycott [Re: Kickle]
    #26805301 - 07/05/20 01:31 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Realistically, I think corporations have been shaping policy for decades. Lobbying in Washington is a billion-dollar business these days, and you only need to look at the two biggest lobbying groups -- the military-industrial complex and the pharmaceutical lobby -- to see it. Public opinion and policy often diverge, and there are situations in which our government functions democratically. However, with those two lobbies -- and essentially any area affecting the pocketbooks of the very wealthy -- public opinion and policy can diverge sharply, and the situation will not change.

So many corporations have been creating an autocratic situation for a long time, and if they're doing more of it now, it's nothing new.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Facebook boycott [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #26805320 - 07/05/20 01:44 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

oil-rubber-uranium-oil-cocaine-more oil-Boeing-Facebook
blechh!

--------------------

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: Facebook boycott [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #26805521 - 07/05/20 03:36 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I decided a long time ago that the best place I can cast my "vote" is in choosing wisely whom I spend my money with.

I do think it's interesting how corporations are jumping on the bandwagon to attack the biggest dogs in the yard tho. Anything to try and take them down at this point. I think we are really seeing how uncontrollable these tech companies are and how even through political attacks, lobbying, negative news coverage, and a global pandemic they still continue to grow.

Better hope a technological republic is a boon and not a curse.

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

#26805575 - 07/05/20 04:09 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah well the rich just get richer...

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #26806136 - 07/06/20 02:23 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I JUST got a 3 day ban minutes ago from Facebook for posting something about Trump that I FOUND on Facebook! It's a number of pics of Trump kissing or otherwise inappropriately touching Ivanka with the caption "Oh, but Joe Biden is the creepy one." I got off a 30 day ban on July 4th for having posted the words "Sieg Heil!" under a pic of a kid holding an Adolph Hitler doll! I was a Jewish guy writing to another Jewish guy whom I've known since childhood about hate being handed down from generation to generation. These two bans were for violating community standards. The 30 day ban followed a 7 day ban that I received for "hate speech" because I commented about a NY church opening for services during a peak COVID-19 infection rate having written, "Prepare to meet thy Maker stupid Christians." I'm sick and tired of having to walk on eggshells on that fucking platform. I reconnected with a number of former high school peers whom I was not friends with 50 years ago and it's nice that I have, but their algorithm fascism just pisses me off.  :grrr:

Correction: Now Facebook says that I have 28 more days of ban! Apparently the notification for 3 days was wrong. The thing is, I posted the exact same thing* on April 30th and did not receive a ban for it then. I have no clue as to how this works but there was a message saying 'What happens if I violate again?' and the answer was 'A 30 day ban.' I wonder if there is a perma-ban on Facebook. Anyone know?

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (07/08/20 02:27 AM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Facebook boycott [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #26806233 - 07/06/20 05:29 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I feel like I missed nothing after being off facebook for several years, I had used it in 2010 for 1 year because my  live model drawing group was organized through fb, but I fell off of that too, and regularly spend zero time there.

I have used it once in nine years to connect to some service

it is unnecessary.

--------------------

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
    #26807333 - 07/06/20 03:35 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Haven't been on Facebook in 10 years.  I feel like my life is just fine. :shrug:

I like living in the real world.  The shroomery is enough social media for me.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Facebook boycott [Re: Forrester]
    #26807361 - 07/06/20 03:47 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

ha!

--------------------

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #26807461 - 07/06/20 04:42 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Facebook is shit, and I hope they go under. I don't really care why they go out of business, but they should go out of business. Social media was a mistake, and I hope it all goes to shit in the end. Also Zuck is very stupid and an awful human being.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Facebook boycott [Re: nooneman]
    #26807494 - 07/06/20 05:03 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I remember when facebook started there was involvement of ex-cia people as financiers.

two questions for you conspiracy nuts:
1. are there really any ex-CIA people?
2. if you follow the money, what might they be working on?

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-substance-of-the-claim-that-Facebook-is-funded-in-part-by-the-US-government-and-in-particular-a-branch-which-is-associated-with-the-CIA

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Facebook boycott [Re: redgreenvines] * 1
    #26807816 - 07/06/20 07:51 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

It's not air, water, food or shelter, but "necessary" is a relative term. I have experienced isolation in Miami for so long that the COVID-19 pandemic doesn't even impact our usual social situation at all. We have 2 local friends now and one leaves Miami for the summer while the other has gotten so staid that she isn't interested in any meaningful communication. So, while my wife is even more introverted than I am, I still have a social need that is partially met by Facebook, as pitiful as that is. :shrug: I do not have a lot of FB friends but the majority of them are people I've actually known in public school or from college (including a a couple of professors). This is fairly remarkable because in my youth I did not take kids seriously. In other words, I felt that I was just passing through, that we'd all forget each other when we left high school, but lots of those kids have stayed in touch for 50 years and 40+ years later I'm introducing myself to them for the first time and developing virtual friendships with high school yearbook memories of each other. It's all artificial but it's really all I've got at this point of my life. Miamians are especially transient and the cultural pluralism is rarely transcended among peeps my age. Whereas I am open to younger friends, there IS a generation gap which is also difficult to transcend from both directions.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Loc: Great Lakes State
    #26808116 - 07/06/20 11:47 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Kickle said:
Here's my take as someone in the business world.

These corporations, especially the one's that make the news cycle, are using this as an opportunity for two things:

1. Save advertising costs during economically uncertain times
2. Gain public approval of their brand

There is no or very very little altruism here IMO and so if we are indeed in a place where corporations are shaping policy, we are in deep shit. And yes, I think we are in that place. Hopefully there is a paddle somewhere.

I agree but I think you even give them too much credit. It boggles my mind how a significant enough percentage of the general public can think these corporations are acting altruistically when they have literally zero history of acting altruistically. Everything they do is for their own profit and power and when they do something good it's only because it happened to overlap with their agenda. Yet somehow people still think these companies are their friends because they (the corporations) keep on virtue signaling and they wouldn't continue doing it if no one was buying it.

Anyone who disagrees I'd like one example of a large corporation making a choice that they knew would result in significant financial losses but they did it anyway because they felt it was for the greater public good and not because pressure was put on them or they were concerned about their image or so they could advertise "see how much we care".

I also want to point out that the reason for this isn't just that the fact that corporations are lead by evil people (although it may very well be the case that sociopathic individuals are more likely to rise up to be CEOs of large companies) but also because of the nature of how a business functions.

Take CVS for example. Some years ago they stopped selling cigarettes because of how much they supposedly cared about their customers health. Never mind the fact that any decreases in smoking rates due to this move were probably negligible as people simply began buying their cigarettes somewhere else. So that leads me to believe that whoever was in charge at CVS calculated that whatever good publicity they received for not selling cigarettes would make up for the money they lost in sales. If they really cared about customers health, why do they still have isles full of candy, cookies, heavily processed foods, soda and alcohol? But let's say you were made CEO tomorrow and you did actually care. I think the best you could do would be to announce that CVS was looking into ways they could transition to offering healthier products. You couldn't just turn it into a health food store overnight because that's not their business model. In order to make it work, you would need to figure out a viable business model. Otherwise how can you stay in business and compete against other stores that offer cheaper products even if they are less healthy?

Edited by Peyote Road (07/07/20 12:17 AM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Facebook boycott [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #26808288 - 07/07/20 05:10 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

well this sounds like a great time to do mushrooms!

--------------------

InvisibleFerdinando
Male

#26808485 - 07/07/20 08:21 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

yes you must care about everything

and you must make everything care about everything

we have to do that

me and others will it

we would do it

we want to do it

and anyone can join us in making that be

everyone must practice to make everything care about everything

you care about drawing?

you will attract it into your life

you may start to draw in two years

on every field there is a little improvement

i highly redommend it

it is two times extemely good

--------------------
with our love with our love we could save the world

Edited by Ferdinando (07/16/20 06:18 AM)

InvisibleFerdinando
Male

Re: Facebook boycott [Re: Ferdinando]
    #26808493 - 07/07/20 08:24 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

school must be seen as life education

especially the first 10 years

it must be made that

we need to learn about what are our foults

and it needs to be concretized

even us adults

we need to learn from a therapist and fix the faults

and add the positive things

two hours of school should be meditation

that way there will be much progress towards liberation

and it can be completed in 5 or 10 years

--------------------

InvisibleFerdinando
Male

Re: Facebook boycott [Re: Ferdinando]
    #26808501 - 07/07/20 08:26 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

we need to be taught that yoga is essential to our lives and to benefitting it

only half of the school should be job preparing

rest should be teaching about climate change, that politics must be left wing, how to save the earth, meditation, yoga etc.

getting them starting with reading buddhist, becoming a buddhist scholar early

and meditation and yoga must be encouraged strongly

starting early is essential

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies