Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Ranch Dressing, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIndigoGinzo
Male

Rye Berries from Prime?
    #26782072 - 06/25/20 12:58 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Do you think these seem legit for mycology?  I am looking to start using Rye Berries for spawn, and I don't want to get ripped off, being as though they are cheaper than I have ever seen them and there is also free shipping.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineReverance
Bringer of Light

Re: Rye Berries from Prime? [Re: IndigoGinzo]
    #26782098 - 06/25/20 01:08 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

lol, I hope so. I got mine a week ago (same stuff). havent used it yet though. imo humble novice opinion, these looked 10/10 to me

Onlinemeowjinx
Stranger
Re: Rye Berries from Prime? [Re: Reverance]
    #26783474 - 06/26/20 12:02 AM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Following because I was interested in trying these exact ones after I'm done w/ this horse oat run lol

OfflineJoBloShow
Stranger
Male
    #26783641 - 06/26/20 04:32 AM (1 month, 10 days ago)

If you have a health food store in your area, I would check there for an even better price.
I buy 25kg bags (55lbs) for $55.60. Essentially a dollar a pound.  And that's taxes in.

Offlinemetaphoric
Mr. Bater
Male User Gallery

Re: Rye Berries from Prime? [Re: JoBloShow] * 1
    #26783965 - 06/26/20 08:39 AM (1 month, 10 days ago)

You really don't need the rye berries. If there's a Tractor Supply Co near you, go and buy a 50lb bag of oats for $15 dollars. If there is no animal feed store near you, like if you live in a city, just go with wild bird seed. All grains accomplish the same thing.

The rye berries will definitely work, but there is no advantage to them and they cost a lot.

--------------------
:mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom:
:mushroom:                  :mushroom2:                :mushroom:
:mushroom:            :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:            :mushroom:
:mushroom:      :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:      :mushroom:
:mushroom::cookiemonster: BEHOLD :elmo::mushroom:
:mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom:

OfflineIndigoGinzo
Male

Re: Rye Berries from Prime? [Re: metaphoric]
    #26784245 - 06/26/20 10:27 AM (1 month, 10 days ago)

That’s awesome advice! I’ll definitely checkout both health food stores for third Rye Bertie prices and Tractor Supply Companies for oats. That’s really cool, I didn’t realize you could use oats for spawn as well! Do you have any recommendations for oat preparation teks by anychance? Thanks for all the help guys!

Offlinemetaphoric
Mr. Bater
Male User Gallery

#26784311 - 06/26/20 10:48 AM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Super simple, bring water to a boil, add whole oats, adjust heat to medium, boil for 40 minutes, stir once halfway through. That's it, strain it and let it dry a bit.

Wild bird seed works equally well, it's just slightly more difficult to hydrate because the little millet bursts if you over boil it. still very easy once you practice a little though.

The key to hydrating any grains IMO is that you don't need to hydrate them to 100%. Mushrooms get nutrients from grains and water from coco (or manure or straw.) Hydrating your grains to 80% has two advantages. 1) they will be easy to shake and break up. 2) you don't have to dry them all the way. If there is a little extra water on the outside of your grains when you load them in the PC, that extra water will get sucked right into the grain and your grains will look great when they are finished PCing.

--------------------
:mushroom:      :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:      :mushroom:

OfflineIndigoGinzo
Male

#26787427 - 06/27/20 01:29 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

I really appreciate the advice!  Using oats will be infinitely cheaper than the BRF/Vermiculite method for spawn that I have been learning on.  I'm actually really stoked to try this out because purchasing BRF/Verm for the amount of spawn that I want to make in order to learn this craft is taking its toll on my wallet!

InvisibleApples in Mono
Not a puppet

#26787566 - 06/27/20 02:20 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

I used to be so spoiled with rye. I was getting 56lb bags for $12 and change

Onlinemeowjinx
Stranger
    #26788192 - 06/27/20 08:00 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

Yes, this is the tek I've been using and it's very easy. I got it from Bod's teks. And a 50 pound bag of oats can be used to make dozens and dozens of quart jars worth of spawn

So far I have no complaints. Prep is quick and simple and colonization is steady

Offlinemetaphoric
Mr. Bater
Male User Gallery

Re: Rye Berries from Prime? [Re: meowjinx] * 1
    #26788327 - 06/27/20 09:25 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

50 pound bag should make a little over 100 jars, I counted one time

--------------------

Onlinemeowjinx
Stranger
    #26788492 - 06/27/20 11:15 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Dayumn! I remember scouring through Rye Berry TEKs, Bird Seed Teks, Popcorn teks, etc.

Trying to see the pros and cons of each, including cost and difficulty of prep, etc.

Then I found BODs horse oat TEK and it seemed to have everything going for it. It seemed strange at first buying horse food since I don't know much about ranch supplies.

Luckily I do happen to live in an area with a Tractor Supply Co!

The people who develop and write up these TEKs would be in a Hall of Fame somewhere if this hobby was legal

OfflineTight Lunchbox
Drunk cat

#26788572 - 06/28/20 12:17 AM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Buy the cheapest grain you can find locally. I go to a feed store and get 100 pounds of wheat for like 23 bucks.

--------------------
"it's all a joke between mom contractions and coffin fittings"

Offlinemetaphoric
Mr. Bater
Male User Gallery

Re: Rye Berries from Prime? [Re: Tight Lunchbox]
    #26788930 - 06/28/20 05:36 AM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Tight Lunchbox said:
Buy the cheapest grain you can find locally. I go to a feed store and get 100 pounds of wheat for like 23 bucks.

What He said ^ All grains are basically the same.

--------------------

OfflineJoBloShow
Stranger
Male
    #26801074 - 07/03/20 09:02 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Quote:

metaphoric said:
The key to hydrating any grains IMO is that you don't need to hydrate them to 100%. Mushrooms get nutrients from grains and water from coco (or manure or straw.) Hydrating your grains to 80% has two advantages. 1) they will be easy to shake and break up. 2) you don't have to dry them all the way. If there is a little extra water on the outside of your grains when you load them in the PC, that extra water will get sucked right into the grain and your grains will look great when they are finished PCing.

I definitely agree with this.
I used to try to get the grains 100% hydrated during the boil, but doing so always ended up with lots of burst kernels.
I also used to let them dry almost completely on the outside before jaring them, but this resulted in slightly dry grains at the end of the PC cycle.
Now, I stop the boil when most of the grains are mostly hydrated but still show a small "dry" spot. This prevents the smaller kernels –that are already 100% hydrated – from bursting.
I also now just steam them off for a couple minutes and load the jars while the grains are still piping hot. The jars steam up on the inside and actually look quite wet, but the extra moisture gets absorbed by the grains during the PC cycle and also prevents them from drying up.

Sometimes the jars will have spots of wet looking grains after the cycle, but I just give them a shake to redistribute the kernels and the next day the jars are perfect.

OfflineJoBloShow
Stranger
Male
Re: Rye Berries from Prime? [Re: Apples in Mono]
    #26801092 - 07/03/20 09:11 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Apples in Mono said:
I used to be so spoiled with rye. I was getting 56lb bags for $12 and change

God damn, dude.  :wowz:
Mafia connections??  :awelol:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Ranch Dressing, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started