Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekittycatb38
Stranger
First time growing- Need some clarification/tips!
    #26795967 - 06/30/20 11:59 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Hi all, I wanted to finally try to grow my own shrooms and I decided to get some PE uncut microscopy syringe kit as my spores. I read through multiple TEK's throughout this forum and regarding some, I still have some questions:

1. For the agar tek method, how long does it take for the spores to germinate, and how do I know if it's ready for transfer?

2. When transferring the clean mycelium, why not just take all of it that is not contaminated by bacteria? From the images/videos I saw, people are only taking the ends of the branches from the germinated mycelium (around the circumference).

3. If I buy sterilized grain spawn online instead of making it myself, is it possible to transfer it directly into narrow mouth quart jars without contaminating the grain spawn?

4. For SAB, you only sanitize it when you start cultivating a batch right? (i.e. no need to sanitize it with isopropyl alcohol every time I use it.)

5. Is there a way to regulate temperature for growing? My unit doesn't have an air conditioner and the weather here is always 90-100+ Fahrenheit. From what I read, it's not optimal growing conditions for colonization in the jar and in monotubs

6. I'm assuming I can directly drop my LI into my grain spawn, is this correct? I was reading about people adding water and stuff, but nowhere in the TEK's did I remember the author mentioning that. (I'm assuming bought sterilized grain spawn will be dry, and I'm not sure if dried grain spawn will allow the mycelium to colonize).

7. On the where to get started post, I'm confused on how to proceed after colonizing grain spawn. Do I do a monotub TEK, or a bucket TEK? Do I lay substrate in the tub and then just dump the colonized grain on top of it and even it out over the substrate? How do I when when to fan and mist? Can I open my tub, or is it bad to do so? (I'm assuming yes because I will have to fan and mist) A proper guide on substrate + tubs would be very helpful for me!

Sorry if some of these questions seem really dumb, I'm just looking for additional clarification and tips so that my first grow turns out well.

Edited by kittycatb38 (07/01/20 12:07 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemeowjinx
Stranger
Re: First time growing- Need some clarification/tips! [Re: kittycatb38]
    #26796057 - 07/01/20 01:13 AM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Quote:

kittycatb38 said:
Hi all, I wanted to finally try to grow my own shrooms and I decided to get some PE uncut microscopy syringe kit as my spores. I read through multiple TEK's throughout this forum and regarding some, I still have some questions:

1. For the agar tek method, how long does it take for the spores to germinate, and how do I know if it's ready for transfer?

2. When transferring the clean mycelium, why not just take all of it that is not contaminated by bacteria? From the images/videos I saw, people are only taking the ends of the branches from the germinated mycelium (around the circumference).

3. If I buy sterilized grain spawn online instead of making it myself, is it possible to transfer it directly into narrow mouth quart jars without contaminating the grain spawn?

4. For SAB, you only sanitize it when you start cultivating a batch right? (i.e. no need to sanitize it with isopropyl alcohol every time I use it.)

5. Is there a way to affect temperature for growing? My unit doesn't have an air conditioner and the weather here is always 90-100  farenheit and from what I heard that's not optimal growing conditions for colonization in the jar and in monotubs

6. I'm assuming I can directly drop my LI into my grain spawn, is this correct? I was reading about people adding water and stuff, but nowhere in the TEK's did I remember the author writing about that. (I'm assuming bought sterilized grain spawn will be dry, and I'm not sure if dried grain spawn will allow the mycelium to colonize).

7. On the where to get started post, I'm confused on how to proceed after colonizing grain spawn. Do I do a monotub TEK, or a bucket TEK? Do I lay substrate in the tub and then just dump the colonized grain on top of it and even it out over the substrate? How do I when when to fan and mist? Can I open my tub, or is it bad to do so? (I'm assuming yes because I will have to fan and mist) A proper guide on substrate  tubs would be very helpful for me!

Sorry if some of these questions seem really dumb, I'm just looking for additional clarification and tips so that my first grow turns out well.

Hello there and welcome

1. A few days. I suppose it depends on the composition of your agar, but I would say 7 days should be enough to see at least a wee bit of mycelium. Transfer when you have a nice little mycelium circle that looks to be spreading outward. It's a matter of personal judgment, I'd say

2. The idea goes that certain types of mycelium grow faster and more vigorously than others. So you grab from the tips because that's the proper "rhyzomorphic" mycelium. But I have heard some opposing views on this. Personally, I'm too lazy to single out really nice looking sectors so I do grab big chunks like you say and my colonization times seem to be falling within average

3. That is a bad idea, especially for a newbie. Pre-sterilized grain is a question mark as it is. Then you're that into jars, which would have to be done using sterile technique because you're working with sterilized grain. I'm not even sure how you'd prep the empty jars. Maybe pasteurizing would work. But if you had to sterilize the jars themselves then you'd need a PC and then you might as well sterilize your own grain. Just a bad idea

4. Wipe it down every time that you use it, which would be when you're inoculating agar, transferring from agar to grain, transferring from grain to grain, liquid culture to grain, etc.

5. and 6. I will because I myself am a newbie and don't know enough to give you an answer

7. Monotubs are the "fruiting chamber" AKA the final spot where the shrooms will grow. The "Bucket TEK" is a guide on making hydrated coir from dehydrated, compressed coir bricks. You would use both of those teks together. Coir is used in a monotub to hold water for the mycelium to "drink". There are other bulk substrates out there but the most popular ones on here that you'll see use coir. Yeah, after you hydrate to "field capacity"  and "cook" the coir then you basically just throw it into the monotub and you open up your grain spawn jars and dump them in and try to mix the coir with the grain spawn evenly

I did not go into a whole lot of detail because I am basically just regurgitating the information provided by much more experienced and accomplished growers. Information that they have kindly and generously laid out on here, in great detail, in various threads. So it will take some searching and sifting on your part but you should be able to find all the answers to your questions on here

Start with the stickied "Getting Started" thread. It has links to several other threads that include the "teks" you'll need. I literally always have Getting Started open as a tab on my laptop because I refer to it so often

You seem to have a lot of enthusiasm, and it should not be stifled, but learn to crawl before you can run. The answers to all of your questions could take you months to truly learn because every answer requires background knowledge, which in turn requires more background knowledge. So start absorbing some of the necessary knowledge a little at a time

Good luck and have fun!

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Loc: Europe
Re: First time growing- Need some clarification/tips! [Re: meowjinx]
    #26796953 - 07/01/20 01:04 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Quote:

If you work in an SB with no airflow, soapy walls etc I think it could work. Are you just transferring containers or do you want to multiply spawn, which is to say the target jars will contain some more, prepared and uncolonized grain. In that case, how do you prepare it, (?) cause thats more important imo.
Otherwise, why would you want to transfer them? What function does that fulfill?

Quote:

If by everytime you use it you mean everytime you work in the SAB, then yeah, its supposed to be clean thats what you wipe for. Even though, as I said soapy water works fine for me.  It also has the function of making the walls sticky so contams dont "bounce off" but get stuck, if there are any in the SAB. Sounds weird, works.

Quote:

5. Is there a way to affect temperature for growing? My unit doesn't have an air conditioner and the weather here is always 90-100  farenheit and from what I heard that's not optimal growing conditions for colonization in the jar and in monotubs

Probably not any easy way, a fan and humdifier might help some, but I would try around if it maybe works without. Remember cubensis come from cuba, so its a relatively warm weather species, you might get bacteria easier or earlier but that doesnt mean you cant get one flush in or so. My experience is that with contamed or contaming tubs the mycelium will put out one very fat flush, presumably because It wants to get as many spores out before the end as possible and it know to put all its energy into this one flush.

Quote:

6. I'm assuming I can directly drop my LI into my grain spawn, is this correct? I was reading about people adding water and stuff, but nowhere in the TEK's did I remember the author writing about that. (I'm assuming bought sterilized grain spawn will be dry, and I'm not sure if dried grain spawn will allow the mycelium to colonize).

Yes you can, and no I think the spawn should be at the correct moisture content, otherwise why by it prepared? Getting the moisture content right is the only semi-tricky thing about grain, since if its too wet, no matter how much you PC, it will contam with bacteria.

--------------------
"to affirm life is to also affirm death"
-Albert hofmann

Offlinekittycatb38
Stranger
Re: First time growing- Need some clarification/tips! [Re: polaritymind]
    #26797246 - 07/01/20 03:06 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Thank you for your explanation and clarification! As for what transferring the grain spawn will fulfill, well, it doesn't do anything! I was wrong thinking that I needed to transfer grain spawn into the tub BEFORE colonization. I'm supposed to do it AFTER colonization. That brings me to my next question: how am I supposed to drop agar with mycelium into a sterilized, bought grain spawn? I only see an area for needles to insert through. Since I've not actually received my grain spawn yet, I am not sure if I could just cut open the open/open the top and reseal it.

OfflineHellofire320
Stranger
Re: First time growing- Need some clarification/tips! [Re: kittycatb38]
    #26797255 - 07/01/20 03:12 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

It sounds like  you ordered grain spawn in bags? If so, you're really gonna need jars to do a traditional agar transfer. You are gonna want jarred grain spawn to make things easier.

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Loc: Europe
Re: First time growing- Need some clarification/tips! [Re: Hellofire320]
    #26801066 - 07/03/20 08:54 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Thank you for your explanation and clarification! As for what transferring the grain spawn will fulfill, well, it doesn't do anything! I was wrong thinking that I needed to transfer grain spawn into the tub BEFORE colonization. I'm supposed to do it AFTER colonization.

Yes correct :grin:

Quote:

That brings me to my next question: how am I supposed to drop agar with mycelium into a sterilized, bought grain spawn? I only see an area for needles to insert through. Since I've not actually received my grain spawn yet, I am not sure if I could just cut open the open/open the top and reseal it.

Ok so this is not going to be neccesary. As you spawn to bulk, to your substrate in a plastic tub you will actually not be using grain anymore. Bulk subs are usually of a type that is less likely to contam, so think things that a human wouldnt want to eat, more plant fiber (cellulose, lignin) than starch. With cubes the obvious and easiest option is CVG. Coco coir, vermiculite and gypsum. If really not possible any other way, you could even just use the coir alone. The benefit is it doesnt need to be sterilized, and some people dont even do anything but I like to do a "bucket pasteruization" since its easy. You just add the brick and the appropriate amount of water (often like 5L or so) of boiling water in a bucket and let it cool. (This keeps the center for above 70 °C for an hour or so which is enough for pasteurization. )

Then use colonized grain spawn (which is much more resistant to contamination too) and the bulk substrate in a 50/50 or 33/66 mix.

Oh and also at the end check that the coir is really at field capacity, which means not too wet. That means that when you press it, no more water runs out of it. And also not too dry either. There is good pics/vids of that like this one https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25087128#25087128

The Gypsum is for nutrients btw, you just add a handful of it and after it has cooled down etc so it doesnt just get hard into a block.

--------------------
"to affirm life is to also affirm death"
-Albert hofmann

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started