Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesomuchmore
noob
 User Gallery

shaking jars question
    #26746731 - 06/15/20 02:30 PM (1 month, 21 days ago)

I was hoping somebody could answer some questions about shaking jars.
Is it true that shaking jars will reveal contamination that would otherwise not be found before casing them? Besides increasing the speed of mycelium growth once shaken, is there any other reason to shake them?
Assuming there's some empty space at the top of a jar, should they shake pretty easily? My current jars seem to be a solid chunk of mycelium growth. Do people open up the jars to use a spoon or something to "shake" them or are people actually able to shake them enough to get everything to break up into little pieces and be mixed up without opening?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Loc: Europe
Re: shaking jars question [Re: somuchmore]
    #26746782 - 06/15/20 02:56 PM (1 month, 21 days ago)

Well if theyre not fully colonized definitely dont open them or you will be sure to introduce contamination. And if theyre done and you just wanna break up the pieces to mix them better into your coir or whatever substrate, then sure use a spoon or just your hands. You dont even need to wear gloves, but many people still do it just to be extra sure.

But yeah depending on your mushroom, mycelium can be quite tough. I especially find shiitake very hard to break apart. (But I assume were talking cubes here and thats not so hard I find). Then again there is always little mycelial ffibres on the surface that do break off. And just fully submering the colonized part in grain compared to before is also increased colonization contact area.
About the toughness, people have their tricks. I once heard RR uses a shoe to break up mycelium. Not sure if he puts the jar in the shoe and then beats that to the ground or just beats the jar with the shoe. I tend to just use the lower palm of my hand but it can get painful and is a bit of work and exercise. If its too much just wait extra. If you really want speed look into LCs but for that you need a SAB and be familiar with agar, which is quite easy though. Just use small PF Tek jars. But of course you need a PC. Or even easier cardboard tek but PCed so the LC doesnt get contamed. (Apparently works for cubes too!)

As far as showing contamination earlier goes, I havent heard it specifically but can very well imagine it. In my experience contams always grow much faster than mushrooms so you tend to see it clearly since the mold gets a head start. And shaking would only speed that up further. Bacteria can be a bit more tricky but usually Id say the same. It tends to look slimy and it also tends to smell like compost garbage through the filter if you really stick your nose up to it at least at the later stages. And in extreme cases "mycelial piss" which is yellow liquid which is the mushrooms antibodies.

--------------------
"to affirm life is to also affirm death"
-Albert hofmann

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Re: shaking jars question [Re: polaritymind]
    #26796879 - 07/01/20 12:23 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

so, how did it work out for you?

--------------------
-Albert hofmann

InvisibleSunny Skies
Cluster Head
 User Gallery

Loc: top of the triangle
    #26796922 - 07/01/20 12:46 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

shake your jars at 30%,this speeds up the time to tell..can usually tell if polluted after 3 days.

--------------------
I stink therefore I am.

Invisiblesomuchmore
noob
 User Gallery

#26797211 - 07/01/20 02:51 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

I shook the smaller jars at about 30% and they're almost completely colonized. It's so fast! The force I used was more than I was expecting, but once I got used to it, it worked fine. I really understand why leaving empty space in jars is important. I did find one jar that kind of had a chunk in it that I couldn't break up. I marked it and will possible throw it away or fruit it separately as it seems that could be a sign of contamination.

I have two sets of jars colonizing, one where I made the grains and another that were purchased. I had two of the purchased ones completely stall before shaking, and they look contaminated, so they're gone.

From what I can tell, there's funk in all the purchased jars, but except for that one, mine seem to be doing well.

I did discover that this might not be cubensis myc after all. I finally organized all my notes from the past 9 months or so, and then decided to start from spores again (after learning the myc exhausts over "generations.") When I did that, I realized that I still have the only cube B+ spore syringe (unused) I've ever purchased, and don't have the panaeolus cyanescens spore syringe. Which leads me to believe that all along I've been thinking I'm growing cubes when I might have actually been trying to grow the other. Details matter kids.

I did have one harvest, so I'll throw some pictures up in another post and see if somebody can confirm which I've been playing around with, and eating. HA! If ever there was an example of why organized notes are important. I will not longer be lazy with that anymore.

Edited by somuchmore (07/01/20 03:47 PM)

OfflineHellofire320
Stranger
Re: shaking jars question [Re: somuchmore]
    #26797304 - 07/01/20 03:40 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

It sounds like you're looking to spawn your jar(s) to bulk. You don't need to worry too too much about breaking the mycelium up before you birth it AFTER its fully colonized. When spawning to bulk, you can use a cheese grater or hands or whatever (be clean) to break up the spawn before mixing it with your bulk substrate. When the jars are 100% colonized, they are more resistant to bacteria and such, not to say you shouldn't follow sterile procedure.

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Re: shaking jars question [Re: Hellofire320]
    #26801054 - 07/03/20 08:46 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Wow a cheese grater :tongue2: that sounds agressive :grin:

I just use my hands, you can use some gloves or a spoon or whatever but you will be surprised how little mycelium there really is, the grains will look quite brown and not as white too when broken up, its not that hard. At least with cubes. With shiitake that had been colonizing very slowly, but thoroughly apparently, for 3 months (must've been a bit too dry) I had some real issues. But yeah, as soon as you open the jar its super easy, no worries about touching it, colonized myc can defend itself. But do make sure to wait until fully colonized, in the center of the jar too. I like to wait a couple days extra, to make sure. The extra time can be considered "consolidation time" which I alsom heard at some point might increase potency, not sure if that's been debunked or what.

--------------------
-Albert hofmann

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started