Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMycostotle
Stranger
 User Gallery
Powder-like brown contamination
    #26793638 - 06/30/20 02:42 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I have something in my grain spawn bags that looks like contamination of some sort. It looks like brown powder on grain. Anyone know what’s up?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStarz_PLURR
untrusted cultivator
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Powder-like brown contamination [Re: Mycostotle]
    #26793667 - 06/30/20 03:28 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

First id ask your prep set up because if you get a contamatate before your first flush, id look at your prep set up

second what teks are you following, this can let us know if you are doing something outdated

Last, sniff test is king. smells like mush? smells like shit?

OfflineMycostotle
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Powder-like brown contamination [Re: Starz_PLURR]
    #26793794 - 06/30/20 06:04 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

My pressure cooker might not be working so well anymore.. I used quite a bit of gypsum making these bags, I’m not sure if the brown powder like stuff is just colored gypsum. Smells like shrooms.

Edited by Mycostotle (06/30/20 06:05 AM)

OfflineThe Mycologist
Explorer

#26793801 - 06/30/20 06:10 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Not good, your grain prep is off (way too wet)

You need to start over.

Start here
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24144021

--------------------
"That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.”
― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
:acidfire::tmckenna:

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Powder-like brown contamination [Re: The Mycologist]
    #26793820 - 06/30/20 06:28 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

It's not too wet. It looks too wet because when there is a bad bacterial contam the bags make a lot of heat and this makes the condensation on the outside edges of the bags. The grain looks like it was a good moisture level. It was probably just not PC long enough. Bags need a lot longer PC cycle than newbs think. 3-4 hours is the going rate. This is too long to go on a PC that vents steam without running out of water. So look into adding some weight to your weight so it doesnt vent any steam at 15 psi or replace with the sterilizer toggle valve then you wont run out of water during the long run.

It looks like the bag has yeast and bacteria so it was probably just a simple fuck up of the sterilization cycle.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Edited by sandman420 (06/30/20 07:05 AM)

OfflineMycostotle
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Powder-like brown contamination [Re: sandman420]
    #26793852 - 06/30/20 06:54 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Other bags from the same batch look like this

I cant wait my 75 liter autoclave arrive from china so I can ditch pressure cooking for good..

InvisibleRoger Clemency
Smile
 User Gallery

#26793860 - 06/30/20 06:59 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

That one doesn’t look very good either but it might be because of a lot of gypsum being in there.

The first one has bacteria and maybe some mold too. Are you noccing these up with spore syringes?

--------------------
Sour grapes, sweet revenge
Heaven starts right where hell ends

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #26793863 - 06/30/20 07:02 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

yea that is not too wet

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

OfflineMycostotle
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Powder-like brown contamination [Re: Roger Clemency]
    #26793874 - 06/30/20 07:07 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Roger Clemency said:
That one doesn’t look very good either but it might be because of a lot of gypsum being in there.

The first one has bacteria and maybe some mold too. Are you noccing these up with spore syringes?

I think it will still colonize

Yes I make my own syringes and lose 30-50 % of bags to contaminations but it is ok, I make 15 bags every other day

InvisibleRoger Clemency
Smile
 User Gallery

#26793913 - 06/30/20 07:33 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Why not just use agar? That seems kinda crazy to accept such large numbers of contamination. Spore syringes aren’t totally clean usually and colonization, especially of bags, takes so long from spores you’re giving everything else a chance.

A clean agar plate to an LI or just making LC would colonize those bags in half the time at worst and at a much higher success rate.

Each their own but dayum

--------------------

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Powder-like brown contamination [Re: Roger Clemency]
    #26793925 - 06/30/20 07:37 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

He still hasn't said how long he is PC'ing his bags and if he is properly venting the PC before starting the cycle. I''m leaning 80% sterilization problem vs 20% bad spores on this currently.

--------------------

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #26794003 - 06/30/20 08:27 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mycostotle said:
Other bags from the same batch look like this

I cant wait my 75 liter autoclave arrive from china so I can ditch pressure cooking for good..

I’m not sure what the difference would be aside from a bigger capacity. It’s not like you can run bags at 20 psi like you can jars.

OfflineMycostotle
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Powder-like brown contamination [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #26796039 - 07/01/20 12:56 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Roger Clemency said:
Why not just use agar? That seems kinda crazy to accept such large numbers of contamination. Spore syringes aren’t totally clean usually and colonization, especially of bags, takes so long from spores you’re giving everything else a chance.

A clean agar plate to an LI or just making LC would colonize those bags in half the time at worst and at a much higher success rate.

Each their own but dayum

Actually I just tried agar for the first time recently and it colonized very quickly, I have had a lot of problems with agar contamination (Im using still air box), almost all petri dishes I have made have got contaminated..

Quote:

sandman420 said:
He still hasn't said how long he is PC'ing his bags and if he is properly venting the PC before starting the cycle. I''m leaning 80% sterilization problem vs 20% bad spores on this currently.

I do about 90 minutes with max pressure but sometimes to the cooker just wont pressurize to mamximum

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:]

I’m not sure what the difference would be aside from a bigger capacity. It’s not like you can run bags at 20 psi like you can jars.

I dont have storage space for a lot of jars.. that is why I use these bags, although I recently ordered like 40 0.75 liter moonshine jars, I might test of they are suitable for this

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #26796243 - 07/01/20 04:58 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

90 minutes is not long enough to PC bags man. You need to do 180 minutes minimum. No wonder you are losing 50% of your bags. What do you mean your PC wont pressurize to maximum? This is really bad. You gotta fix these issues before you can proceed.

--------------------

InvisibleRoger Clemency
Smile
 User Gallery

Re: Powder-like brown contamination [Re: sandman420]
    #26796384 - 07/01/20 07:07 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

And work on your SAB technique. There are some videos around on here. I use a SAB as well and I have only random contaminants show up on my plates, 5% at the very most. The still air works excellent once you’ve got your technique down.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag